This is the new classic game of Axis & Allies. Designed for 2-5 players, the game is set in 1942 – the historical high-water mark of Axis expansion.
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:29 pm
I've been around under various usernames since Larry started his website but seldom post unless I have something to get off my chest as I do now. I own and have worn out every edition of A&A since '84 MB. When I heard they were producing yet another version of A&A I was initially annoyed and uninterested. [I'm still licking my wounds from 1940 1st edition]. Then I played it ['42 2E] and had to go get my own copy. I think this is finally a worthy successor to the 84 Gamemaster edition and probably the best and most balanced version ever. Now that I've played it a few times I have some feedback to pass along.
Things I think could be done better:
1) Map: the borders in Eastern Europe blend in a little too well and are difficult to see. West Russia is the one that bugs me the most but it would help to make the lines more visible throughout the area.
2) Victory Cities: we all know there is a misprint in the rules and Honolulu is a VC leaving an awkward 9 VC needed for the Axis and 10 for the Allies. I suggest adding Warsaw as a VC to even it out. This will also give the Russians a VC within their grasp short of total victory.
1) Most balanced version yet.
2) Reasonable playing time compared to 1940
3) New AAA rules
Now I need to try '41, I love the concept of it.
- Posts: 261
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:51 am
Good points. I like the Warsaw idea a lot. I agree with the border contrast. Our group believes that the distortion in Europe is the best so far. It gives plenty of room to play on the OOB map whereas we have had our other maps blown up to almost Global 40 size just to play on them.
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:19 pm
- Location: New York
This is by far my favorite map of all time.
My main problem with the global maps is simple movement speeds. Piece movement was originally designed for smaller boards. The large boards are great but because the movement doesn't increase it just slows the game down far too much for the group I play with.
I agree with you on Warsaw, I would have liked a few more VC on the 42 map as well.
- Posts: 85
- Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:13 am
- Location: Munich / Germany
Well, if you would like to play an A&A version with more Victory Cities, you have to go for the Anniversary Edition. I know it is hard to get these days, but it has got 5 more Victory Cities (Ottawa, Warsaw, Stalingrad, Hong Kong and Manila) and is well balanced and features Italy and National Advantages. But the map of 42-2nd has two things I prefer to the Anniversary map: the split of Morocco and Algeria in two territories as well as that of Australia. Those 1940 games are interesting too, but they are beyond the playtime at my disposal or that of my friends. If you have got wives and children, the War has to end rather sooner than later
No decent man can prefer war to peace, because at peace-time the sons burry their father while at war, the father burries his sons. (Herodot)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests