Aircraft Carriers and Battleships

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
TMTM

Post by TMTM » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:35 pm

sounds good to me.. i want sparks to fly!

oddman

Post by oddman » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:26 pm

Repairing battleships rule seems like a remarkably bad idea to me. The fact that they can take two hits indicates the resilience of the unit, the excessive amount of damage needed to incapacitate an armoured fleet.

A battleship unit isn't just a battleship. It isn't the Yamato, the Utah, the Bismarck or the Prince of Wales, it's a whole task force of line-of-battle ships and supporting vessels. The 'damage' isn't really damage to a battleship, it's expended resources. Which can be considered replenished just like units don't need to 'rearm' or 'refuel'. It's included in the (exorbitant, in the case of BBs) purchase price.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm

But alas many times when a battleship is crippled it takes about a year or two to repair it so it can fight again. Repair is a small way to manage this in a simple way. Besides now a battleship is just that since the arrival of a cruiser unit. So a BB is 3-4 real battleships and thats all. Plus a free repair isnt very realistic either, the idea is to really keep it out for a turn (spend money and time) to rehab the ship and send it out again. All totally realistic like the war that was fought. Hitler never fixed the Tirpitz after it was bombed and it just wasted until the brits finally finished the job.This is repeated many times during the war with different circumstances, but we apply a simple rule to account for all of this.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:01 am

oddman wrote:Repairing battleships rule seems like a remarkably bad idea to me. The fact that they can take two hits indicates the resilience of the unit, the excessive amount of damage needed to incapacitate an armoured fleet.
Welcome, Oddman!

The main problem with 2-hit battleships as they exist now is that on a smaller-scale game like AAP the larger number of battleships involved allows fleets to be attacked without taking any losses at all if the "free hits" aren't exceeded. This discourages small battles and skirmishes.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:47 pm

Exactly, the defender would take the "free gifts" of single hits on Battleships and then retreat if he had to lose anything of value. Having a repair cost easily fixes this trick, while preserving historical integrity.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Elessar

Post by Elessar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:28 pm

But at the same time, it should not be too expensive to repair a BB. I'd suggest about 5 IPC's. Why? Destroyers will cost 8 IPC's, and a new DD is slightly more useful than repairing a BB.

Also remember that you'll have to return the battleship to port. With larger oceans, it will sometimes be a long way. Removing it from the frontline for several rounds is a price in itself.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:51 pm

Elessar wrote:But at the same time, it should not be too expensive to repair a BB. I'd suggest about 5 IPC's. Why? Destroyers will cost 8 IPC's, and a new DD is slightly more useful than repairing a BB.

Also remember that you'll have to return the battleship to port. With larger oceans, it will sometimes be a long way. Removing it from the frontline for several rounds is a price in itself.
:D
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:44 pm

well the idea of rolling a d12 makes it possible to pay as little as 1 IP, while the 5 IP idea is easy to remember- the random element makes for the unexpected which can be fun. :wink: