Alpha +3

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
swabianleader

Re: Alpha +3

Post by swabianleader » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:43 am

wow I like the new rules and I can´t wait to try it out with my A&A Buddy on Saturday with our A&A Pizza and A&A Beer.
Life could be so great! :mrgreen:
And for those who already have a negative opinion on Alpha+3, please playtest it and judge later.
Let´s have fun with +3!
And thanks Larry for the hard work and the open ear to the community!
Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

Blitchga

Post by Blitchga » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:48 am

AA Guns, amazing!

I think some of you are missing the key aspect of the change. Yes you will need more to defend massive air attacks, however, with lets say 4 AA Guns you could role 12 dice, period. That means that so long as the enemy has at least 4 planes you will roll 12 AA dice. If the enemy has 12 planes well you still roll 12 so you can really scare off those small air raids by having multiple AA guns.

No further comments other than a sincere thanks to Larry for always listening to the community and striving to create the very best World War II board games!

Thanks a ton Larry, I know that I, my friends and family have enjoyed hours upon hours of fun from your efforts!

Infrastructure

Post by Infrastructure » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:04 am

Blitchga, I think you understand the rule wrong. No doubling up on aircraft.

SirEdward

Post by SirEdward » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:34 am

Quite interesting. I need to play this to understand it. It's way out of what I was expecting.

I can see where the modifications of the Russia-Japan pact can lead, particularly the possible open route between China and Russia. I don't like too much the fact that Russia can send one single idiot in Korea or Manchuria and if Japan reacts then Mongolia joins Russia nonetheless, unless you (or Krieghund) confirm that the Russian route is open through SZ5 and amphibious assault, without Mongolia caring.

I realize the new AA system makes some TTs more viable and easy to attack, particularly with Japan (India attacked by 21 planes will now kill an average of 1 plane through AA instead of 3,5 - but Leningrad is wasier for Germany too), or the Russian stack, or Sydney, and I'm curious to know if this will force Russia to an attack in the Far-East to divide the Japs, which will take away the 18inf and make Moscow easier for Germany, thus forcing the US a bit into the Atlantic and eliminating the full-Pac.

I like the italian DD in 96, I hope it will solve the UK mega-stack in 92 somehow, thus making the US in the Atlantic more needed.

I can't wait to try this out.

---

Only one thing has really left me puzzled. French AA? Why?

---

A thanks to you, Larry, and to Krieghund, for your attention. EDIT and your work, clearly!!! END EDIT
Last edited by SirEdward on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"they're coming out of the ***damn walls" (Japan Player speaking of Chinese infantry).

Roperious

Post by Roperious » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:51 am

Thanks for Alpha +3, Larry! To be able to watch the evolution of this game unfold on these boards is really something special.

Kobu

Post by Kobu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:13 am

Here's something I noticed right away--we'll have to ask for order of loss more often for online games thanks to the AA gun change.

Kobu

Post by Kobu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:52 am

So I started my Alpha+3 game against my old adversary, allldescends. We are about matched in skill with me having more experience in G1940. With Germany's opening, there's no way I'm risking planes to Paris. That means I've forgone any thought of attacks on W. or S. France and committed all planes to attacking UK sea units. Paris has an extra defender so there's a better chance of bouncing here with only bringing in ground units. Italy will need to finish off much more often than in previous versions. I can't see this changing much in the future, so Germany openings are going to be much more limited in options.

Sealion is right out. England has 4 more defenders and US and Russia join the war if I succeed. The only way to win is to not play the game. Boo on this. I still have to build naval units to keep the shores defended and not let UK go all out in Africa and the Med. However, if I were the UK, I would probably invite the capture of England by doing just that. I'll have to just choke England with subs.

I have to say I am not too pleased with the changes from Germany's first turn perspective.

Kobu

Post by Kobu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:16 am

What I think I like so far:

1. Mongolia entering the war. I'm glad those printed inf numbers will get some use finally. I would though ease the restrictions for how they enter. It's too easy for Japan to circumvent. At the same time, I would give Japan something. Mongolia feels threatened and joins Japan when Allied forces enter China or Korea.

2. Paris NO. It's something to help steer the US towards Europe. It's probably not enough though. The wording needs to be changed to "at least one".

3. German sub interdiction. It's been needed as a standard rule.