Enough is Enough Already

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Mingler1

Enough is Enough Already

Post by Mingler1 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:47 pm

How many different set-ups and sets of rules are we going to have? I've lost count and have no idea which to follow. Now I understand there is going to be an Alpha+.2 with even more changes?

What was a great idea for a huge scale WWII pair of games has devolved into a joke. I am now really sorry I bought them and they will soon find their way to EBay for whatever I can salvage out of this mess. The games were obviously underplaytested, overpriced and the rules were not well-thought out with multiple bad ideas and loopholes. A rush to publish that all of us are literally paying for.

Pick a freaking set of rules and a set-up already and call a halt to this crap. You will never please everyone. Good players will always find a way to win, no matter the set-up or rules, unless they are totally hosed up, and if that's the case, the game will be labelled "broken" and noone will play it or everyone will publish their own set of "House Rules", some of which might make it into the actually game some day. But to constantly change the set-up and rules on a whim is sheer idiocy, and I don't count myself as an idiot.

How many different set-ups and sets of rules are we going to have? Going to have...? Well even an idiot knows that there will be two... you know like in... one... two... The "one" is the OOB and the "Two", the one some of us are working on with hopes of making an even better game, will be the other. I think you might be confused by the endless number of evolving iterations that seem to keep popping up... You know like Alpha+ and Alpha+1... heck, who knows... if I keep this up there might even be an Alpha+33 (33 like in Larry Bird, Boston Celtics) someday.

Evolving iterations are part of the process I'm afraid. I know it can be mind blowing to some... None of this is really all that difficult to figure out, however. What's difficult to figure out is how these activities have anything to do with you. That's what's really difficult to figure out... Do like most people in the world do, open your game and play it. It's actually pretty good. But, I think I understand... It's always kind of fun to be controversial and negative. It does draw attention to ones self.

You really don't have to show up here and look for trouble. Most of us really don't care if you're an idiot or not an idiot - you don't need to come here and say you're not one. If you're not happy go somewhere else will ya... We're kind of busy making this game the best it can be and doing it on an open forum because I thought it might be a good idea getting feedback, through this amazing media, from some of the best A&A minds in the world.

Maybe it's me who's the idiot.

Oh... by the way good luck on Ebay. How much do you want for that under-playtested, overpriced, poorly thought out, multi-riddled with bad ideas and loopholes, game ?. Let's open the bidding.

LH-i

calvinhobbesliker

Re: Enough is Enough Already

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Unfortunately, there are too many impatient people who want a perfect setup as soon as possible and don't appreciate the work it takes to revise these setups.

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:06 am

I think it is much more fun and challence to develope and playtest a new game, than to play a finished game OOB, so I enjoy this Alpha process. And I dont consider myself an idiot.

How do you say idiot in Norwegian?
Hey... you better not be posting any more of those Norwegian office party pictures... I find them very distracting and disconcerting.

LH-i

Kaufschtick

Post by Kaufschtick » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:28 pm

I think you might be confused by the endless number of evolving iterations that seem to keep popping up... You know like Alpha+ and Alpha+1... heck, who knows... if I keep this up there might even be an Alpha+33 (33 like in Larry Bird, Boston Celtics) someday.

LH-i
Oh, hey! Don't forget 33, like Tony Dorsett! :mrgreen:

Hey... you better not be posting any more of those Norwegian office party pictures... I find them very distracting and disconcerting.

LH-i
My wife just informed me that I'm not allowed to go to any "Norwegian Office Parties". :|

The woman has no sense of fair play, I'm telling you right now. :wink:
Young, Rodger W., Private, 148th Infantry, 37th Infantry Division; born Tiffin, Ohio, 28 April 1918; died 31 July 1943, on the island of New Georgia, Solomons, South Pacific, while singlehandedly attacking and destroying an enemy machine-gun pillbox.

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:25 am

I just want to inform you that pic was not from a Norwegian office party, they are actually elvs that works in Santa's factory on the North pole, making toys to the good children. Their uniform was designed by Santa, so any complaints should go to him, and not to my inbox, thank you.

To adress the thread topic too, I think the way Larry try to improve his games, is the right thing to do. Today a lot of game designers got feedback from their fans on forums like this, in order to improve their games. Just look at Richard Borg, he is doing the very same on his forum. Just imagine if we was stuck with the classic MB 2 ed from 1982, or the Nova ed, would that make us happy ?

This thread is like when you visit a car forum, and some retard tell you he love the 52 model Buick, and since enough is enough already we should just keep on to that 52 model and not develope new cars, like a 2010 model Buick with ABS and Airbag. You get my point ?

Now, I think an idiot is an idiot, in any language.

roglass

Post by roglass » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:19 am

I agree with Mingler1. My play so far has been multiplay with a friends game. I was very hopeful seeing that as a "senior" gamer who has played the numerous versions over the years, this would be a major step up. Its not like there haven't been enough verisons to get some idea of where it should be when finished, nor of attention to historical detail with an eye toward making it a playable game that still has the right flavor. Or even the old practice makes perfect...or at least better. Only OK on production quality, and very poorly developed rules. Was there even any playtesting? My numerous comments are noted in Boardgame Geek so need not be repeated here.

I have been sadly disappointed and will not buy either of these games.

By the time version Alpha+33 arrives, meaning the entire rules design by committee process is done, I will have better games to play.

Ron

Ok ... see ya later Ron.
LH-o

marcelvdpol

Post by marcelvdpol » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:38 am

Well, I think that the problem stems from the fact that, while Pacific and Europe separately may be balanced the Global game definitely favours the Allies as they are the ones to benefit from having two boards. USA can choose to sink more IPC into Europe than they could in the separate europe game, while UK can choose to reinforce Africa from India (UK starts with fighters there that could make it to Africa) and use their India fleet to hammer the Italians in the Med (since that fleet would not make a dent in the Japanese Navy). The same is true for the reverse situation.

The axis only benefit little from the Global Game, as Germany/Italy are too far away from Japan to send reinforcements.

So I can imagine that the Global Game would require tweaking the setups and the NO rules to make a more balanced game. And those changes require play testing, going through several iterations of slight adaptations before ending up with a balanced rulesetup.