Future game combat systems

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Dave

Future game combat systems

Post by Dave » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:25 pm

Larry,

For a future game, I would be curious to get your opinion on having all powers on one side take a simultaneous turn. For example all Axis go together at once, then all Allies go or vice versa. I remember reading that idea somewhere in your forum and I thought that kind of sounds neat.

I have no idea what the actual ramifications would be, but it would more closely approximate actual warfare.

Thanks

Imperious leader

Re: Future game combat systems

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:49 am

This is more consistent with how most wargames play out. Axis then Allies move sequence. For this game and very few others, it maintains this back and forth turn sequence. The only other types of games that also do this are Napoleonic games, but not all of them.

I wish this game would start using this system, of course it is different but in a good way and play is definatly faster.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

jcroft

Post by jcroft » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:00 am

The British could be hit pretty heavy in the west before their 1st turn.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:07 am

Not really.

Italy should have a modified setup, and UK gets more in Egypt.

UK ships should be reconfigured and her ships out of harms way... no more "nuked navy" turn one plans.

Also you need other changes, like ports protecting from naval attacks
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:25 pm

I now come down firmly on the conclusion that the game is too unwieldy with all the new powers taking their own little turns.

However I still think Axis turn, Allis turn is too drastic, especially since these alliances were by no means set until the end of 1941.

My suggestion therefore is a four-sided game, with each of the four power groups playing all its members simultaneously:

1. Germany (& Italy after Germany captures an enemy VC)
2. USSR & CCP
3. Japan and NGC
4. UK, France, KMT (& eventually USA)

Alliances between any 2 groups are strictly limited; they can never share tt or use each other's air space.

Maybe when 2 groups announce an official alliance (against a common enemy) they can move simultaneously, but they should never share territory. The alliance is void whenever the common enemy has lost all its capitals, these being:

1. Berlin & Rome
2. Moscow, Leningrad & Peking (starts under Japanese occupation)
3. Tokyo & Nanking
4. London, Paris, Chungking & Washington

For 1939 one might make Poland officially part of the WA.

The Chinese war is considered separately, in that all three factions can attack each other in China without provoking a wider war.

I generally don't think neutral countries (including major powers) should be able to do anything much until at war; though the USSR needs to be able to gobble up minor neutrals along it's borders.

Add in my other main HRs:

No new factories
No use of captured factories
Limited infantry placement in non-factory home regions
Unlimited non-combat rail movement
Naval Bases as protective harbours

And we'd really be getting there...

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Yes that turn sequence is possible.