Pacific40 Pics and Europe40 Questions

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
mike b

Re: Pacific40 Pics and Europe40 Questions

Post by mike b » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:11 pm

so my question is understanding the rules (namely of japan attacking whenever they want) and seeing the game board is as follows...
i feel that japan has the opportunity to send its entire fleet to hawaii or even closer to the USA and camp it before formally declaring war. will there be any rules or such things which will prevent japan from doing this?
No soldier ever won a war by dying for his country

todd7912

Post by todd7912 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:39 pm

Here is something I am a little curious about. Now that we have seen Pacific, and it is awesome, how are the Sea Zones going to be numbered in Europe? Obviously we won't run out of numbers but we are used to low numbers by UK and high numbers in the Pacific. Are we going to have duplicate sea zone numbers in the global game?

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:23 am

That was a brilliant question. I would hate sea zone 173 adjacent to UK.

Sergente_nella_neve

Post by Sergente_nella_neve » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:51 am

Larry wrote:Questions on Europe 40:

Will the Italians have nation-specific units?- besides the infantry and tanks??
No.
Hi Larry. Please, can you explain this? Why? What's the reason? I think that more of 6 months before the release date it's enough time to re-think this very bad idea.

It will be ok for the tactical bombers using the Stukas molds. But about bombers Italy had the SM-79 Sparviero, "the damned hunchback"; about fighters Italy had the Fiat G55, "the best Axis fighter" according to the Luftwaffe inspectors; and about the navy, Italy had the 4th largest fleet of the conflict, after UK, US and Japan...

As you know, I'm the administrator of the unique italian forum of A&A (more of 550 users): we already requested this since the release of the Anniversary Edition, and really we don't understand the reason of this choice. Thank you.

SM79: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savoia-Marchetti_SM.79
Fiat G.55: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_G.55
The italian royal navy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regia_Marina
Creator and Administrator of A&A.IT, the first Italian Community of A&A players on the web

..::Sergente nella neve::..

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:37 am

After doing a little research, it seems that the Italians actually had the 5th largest navy- US, UK, Japan, Germany, then Italy- it could be even 6th since the Russians had a decent size navy also.

In a global game like AA50 or AA40 I don't really think it deserves its own naval sculpts. On top of that Italy's navy at the time were carbon copies of German ones anyway. They were always a step behind the Brits and Germans in technology.

The French had no listed submarines, AC or battleships, just a handful of some small crusiers adn destroyers. The tanks and artillery were well outdated by 1940 standards. The only thing that was decent was the fighters- similar to the Brits Spitfires- they didn't have a lot of them though.

In this game, like the Chinese, the French should only have infantry. If anything else, one starting fighter (borrow from UK like US does for China "Flying Tigers"). Maybe they can produce artillery like China also when a certain condition is met- liberation maybe- like the Burma Road rules in P40.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:40 pm

4th or 5th largest navy one could argue back and forth. The fact that Russia got new naval sculpts is what I don't understand. I know Russia had a fairly large navy, but it was bottled up most of the war. That is why for game purposes they don't get much to start with (sub, destroyer). At least Italian naval units would get out of the tray, and make it to the board (as short as that might be :P ). Maybe Russia will have the potential for more of a naval presence in AA40E, otherwise why spend the extra $ for Russian naval sculpts.

I understand the whole pride in you heritage thing, kinda like another tread that is discussing Canada's roll vs Anzac. I'm just glad to see Italy as a starting power, with its role expanding in AA40. I also think cost played a big part in it. Just look what they did to AA guns, IC (major/minor) ports, and airbases in the game. A couple of new sculpts would have been really cool. At least the Italian BB isn't made of cardboard.

As for the French, they won't be in the game long enough to warrant their own sculpts (other then inf). The rest of their units will be UK/US molded in blue. They will need other units because Larry said if liberated the French will become a full power. He also said there's a possibility the French will get to place a set # of units on the board at the time of its liberation.

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:55 pm

WILD BILL wrote:4th or 5th largest navy one could argue back and forth. The fact that Russia got new naval sculpts is what I don't understand. I know Russia had a fairly large navy, but it was bottled up most of the war. That is why for game purposes they don't get much to start with (sub, destroyer). At least Italian naval units would get out of the tray, and make it to the board (as short as that might be :P ). Maybe Russia will have the potential for more of a naval presence in AA40E, otherwise why spend the extra $ for Russian naval sculpts.

I understand the whole pride in you heritage thing, kinda like another tread that is discussing Canada's roll vs Anzac. I'm just glad to see Italy as a starting power, with its role expanding in AA40. I also think cost played a big part in it. Just look what they did to AA guns, IC (major/minor) ports, and airbases in the game. A couple of new sculpts would have been really cool. At least the Italian BB isn't made of cardboard.

As for the French, they won't be in the game long enough to warrant their own sculpts (other then inf). The rest of their units will be UK/US molded in blue. They will need other units because Larry said if liberated the French will become a full power. He also said there's a possibility the French will get to place a set # of units on the board at the time of its liberation.
I think it was a marketing thing. The new Russian Battleship, Crusier, molds came out in AA42. Since they are marketing that game heavy this year- they resculpted those molds. The Chinese, Italians, ANZAC and French as seen in AA50 and AA40 are "minor" powers and in games that are produced in lesser numbers so the dedication to detail these are less of a need in their eyes.

So basically only the major powers receive the "premium" treatment (US, UK, USSR, Germany and Japan). I don't like this decision so much either but it economically makes sense.

Check out my last post here also:
http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/ ... 0&start=72

Hey at least we have:

China- inf sculpt
French- inf sculpt
Italians- inf, tank sculpt + rehashed Ger/Jap all other units (was in the war also)
ANZAC- new color of rehashed Brit units (ANZAC material was from UK anyway)

Not a big deal to me. :|

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Yea I'm not real happy with the new trend. Most of us would have gladly paid another $10 or so for AA40 to get AA guns, both size IC's, ports & airbases. New individual power sculpts would not have been as high on my list as it is for others. To each his own. With that said the map is really where its at for me, and so far I like what I see. Some would like terrain & weather to play part in the game. With some minor tweaks I think it could be added in pretty easy now. More sea zones & land territories awesome.