Ports

Thanks for your input todate. Here is a collection of my thinking at this point. Please feel free to participate in this on going discussion. Your contributions are appreciated. Tell your A&A friends about this so they have a chance to voice what they want in A-A&A. I'll update the the original posting as changes and new ideas are adopted or contemplated.
elbowmaster

Ports

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:00 pm

comments about Ports...
larry wrote:Ports: Become strategic objectives.
Ports - protection for ships.
Ships leaving from a port can move 3 sea zones.
Last edited by elbowmaster on Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:30 pm

I like the protection angle, but the extra movement may be overkill. Perhaps ports could afford an "intercept and retreat back" capability against enemy ships passing by?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:03 pm

i wonder if it will be a non combat bonus as it was in pacific...

this leads me to believe that larry has really done some advanced adjustments to the game board...

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:57 pm

No, the best use is its ability to add another movement point for ships launching from there. Of course ships (BB's CV's) can also repair there.

Talk to me.

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:38 pm

Larry -
Have you thought about allowing Ports to be damaged from air attacks or even sea?

it could work similar to a SBR.

Or do you envision them taking on the roll of the Industrial Complex piece and just sitting there cranking out new ships, repairing damaged capital ships, and offering protection from air attacks?

You could combined (crazy thinking) AA defense to each piece giving it, its own inherent AA defense!
Imagine a Territory with a coast that had a Port, said territory also has an Industrial Complex and an Airport, it would be a "megaplex" of production and AA defensive protection.

Something to think about.......perhaps more than you like or are looking for for the new game, but you never know till you say something.

I like Krieghunds idea of interception too!

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:02 pm

I have to offer this :

Naval Bases
Any friendly controlled territory can serve as a naval base. All ships must expend one movement point to enter the port which will protect ships from naval combat (but not enemy air units). When leaving port, no movement penalty is paid and ships are placed in the sea zone adjacent to the land before beginning movement.

Planes vs. Ships at Port
Only planes may attack ships docked in port. All combat vessels take double the hits to sink the warship. The defender must now roll to determine if any degree of surprise was achieved by the attack as follows:

Roll:
1= No surprise
2= No surprise
3= Partial surprise- all ships defend at -2
4= Partial surprise- all ships defend at -3
5= Moderate surprise- all ships at -4
6= Complete surprise-all ships at -5

Note: That all ships defend at a minimum of 1.
The result of the die roll lasts for the initial combat round and the result is reduced by one level on each subsequent combat round.

The ports can have an icon on the board or be created or built and be represented as a cardboard piece. Note the surprise rolls should not be used unless you have included some more advanced naval rules including naval search . These modifiers cannot be applied without counterbalancing naval combat.
Last edited by Imperious leader on Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:20 pm

Comments noted
Please try to keep your posting short and to the point and ON SUBJECT.
Thanks

SkyPilot

Post by SkyPilot » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:47 am

Imperious leader wrote:All combat vessels take double the hits to sink the warship. The defender must now roll to determine if any degree of surprise was achieved by the attack as follows
How would anyone manage to keep track of this? On the battle board, I don't think there's any need for a "pre-casualties" area ahead of "casualties". My friends would go bonkers....not to mention BBs and CVs 2,3,4 or is it 5 hits to sink...