The Italians

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:53 am

Imperious One,

Most young folks in Italy can read a little English, even if they don't speak it so well, but I believe there are Italian version of the rules floating around out there. Me, I use the English version of the rules until somebody provides a Hoosier Hick translation! (i.e. "If them ole Russians done attacked Germany, they ain't no dang way etc. etc.")

AC

Post by AC » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:12 pm

I agree with Mikey B regarding the Italians. I don't think they really need to be a separate power in the game. The German forces represent all of the European Axis powers such as Rumania and Finland. Just like the British represent the Canadians and Australians.

It would be awesome to see separate units for these countries however, but I think they adequately fit under the umbrella of the five major powers of WWII.

If anyone should be made a separate power I think it should be China. They held there own pretty well against the Japanese.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:32 pm

The German forces represent all of the European Axis powers such as Rumania and Finland. Just like the British represent the Canadians and Australians.
That's the first time I've heard it put this way... Great observation.

Historybuff13

Post by Historybuff13 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:50 pm

Yes but Italy was a major member of the Axis. They others, with the exception of Finland (revenge aganist Russia) joined at gunpoint.

I guess if we do a global version, Italy would be two small. Why I prefer a two map system (Europe and Pacific).

I guess France is out too, since we can say they are fighting as part of the British. Napoleon would NOT BE HAPPY!
What is this man doing here?! - SS Gestapo Major Wolfgang Hochstetter

AC

Post by AC » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:21 pm

LOL. I think De Gaulle would be slightly annoyed too.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:51 pm

Yes but Italy was a major member of the Axis. They others, with the exception of Finland (revenge aganist Russia) joined at gunpoint.
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/wwii/tri1.htm

The minor Axis allies joined the Anti- Comintern in defense against the growing aggression of the Soviet Union. They were not "held at gunpoint" by the germans, however Hitler naturely fostered great trade deals if they joined in the crusade against the Soviets. Of course this is the part of ww2 that remains relatively unspoken.... During those times most nations prior to 1941 feared the Soviets desire to expand.
"recognizing that the aim of the Communist International, known as the Comintern, is to disintegrate and subdue existing States by all the means at its command; convinced that the toleration of interference by the Communist International in the internal affairs of the nations not only endangers their internal peace and social well‑being, but is also a menace to the peace of the world desirous of co‑operating in the defense against Communist sub­versive activities"
In June of 1940 Stalin rather than Hitler pointed his guns against Romania and took Bessarabia and Northern Bukovina, Bulgaria remembered the Russians of 1916 and old wounds opened anew. Hungary was promosed some land compensation for what it lost to Poland after ww1, Finland fought a war against Soviet aggression in 1940.

Thus in each case all had some gripe with the Soviets... Yugoslavia was going to join as well but got sidetracked with a coup resulting in a change in policy.

The Allies were close to beligerant toward the Soviets until of course June 1941 rolled around... Then everything Stalin was and represented before 1941 was all swept under a rug in the interests of the common foe being Germany.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

AC

Post by AC » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:57 pm

Sometimes uneasy alliances have to be made against a greater evil.

The allies thought this in regard to joining Stalin and I'm sure the Finns thought this in regard to joining Hitler.
Last edited by AC on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:03 pm

In the Three-Power Pact of 1940, Germany, Japan and Italy shared the world. The deluxe game really should be a 6 player game. 3 Allies against 3 Axis