Tournament Rules - updates

Here are the Tournment Rules for Revised Axis & Allies
Larry

Tournament Rules - updates

Post by Larry » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:31 pm

Please refer to this web site for latest updates.

http://dicey.net/revised/viewforum.php? ... b823fde3bf

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:56 pm

Mr Harris not against or anything but why did you make techs go into affect till next turn? is that more of a game balancer?

Thanks,

GG

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:45 pm

There are many reasons the techs should not become effective till next turn. First of all techs should not be used as some sort of sneak attack process…
The role of techs in this revised editions has become too important. Axis & Allies is about the average tank and infantry unit. Its about the sub and limits of this unit type or that unit type…. IT’S NOT ABOUT TECHS. After the launch of the revised game it became clear to me that techs were playing too large a role in the game. It was quickly becoming a tech race. Tech’s were important in WWII , but it was the WWI BAR that counted on the battlefield or the Russian T-34 that pushed to Berlin.

This new rule (tech delay) is a much needed change. I could be wrong but toooo bad if I am. :lol:

PAGAN

Post by PAGAN » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:01 pm

the game has more variance WITH tech. but here are the problems with the changes as I see them:

1. The game only has a single digit number of rounds from the start where the country's owner has the opportunity to get the edge, and then get to a wining position. (not get the win, just to get into a wining position). A delayed tech increases the time for a tech to become viable, and 'in effect' makes it less effective to utilize. The main thing here is that there is only a few rounds of 'Time' to get the upper hand in a game. A delayed Tech makes that 'Time' even less.

2. Game Designer, "There are many reasons the techs should not become effective till next turn. First of all techs should not be used as some sort of sneak attack process… "
[I disagree. It makes for a more viable tactical game with more variability]

"...The role of techs in this revised editions has become too important.."
[I disagree. It is a method of play not THE method of play]

"...Axis & Allies is about the average tank and infantry unit. Its about the sub and limits of this unit type or that unit type…. IT’S NOT ABOUT TECHS. After the launch of the revised game it became clear to me that techs were playing too large a role in the game. It was quickly becoming a tech race. Tech’s were important in WWII , but it was the WWI BAR that counted on the battlefield or the Russian T-34 that pushed to Berlin..."
[I disagree. OSL (long-range Aircraft on G1) is not a problem. HB were a problem. Techs gave tactical advantages. Utilizing them was not a necessity. Techs did not overbalance the game. It always came down to how much attacking force youcould muster vs a defensive force]

"...This new rule (tech delay) is a much needed change. I could be wrong but toooo bad if I am."
[The game flow may eventually become more stagnant. And house rules are not an option if you want to play against other players around the world.]

3. My other opinion is on HeavyBombers: They were the only problem with Techs in my opinion. Operation Sealion (long-range Aircraft on G1) is able to be dealt with. They needed their power reduced, but what happened is that their power was reduced PLUS the maximum damage sustainable by an IC is its territory value. This now also affects Rockets since they are considered the same SBR damage. Since BOTH of these things were done, it makes HeavyBombers, not worth thier money drain. And any sane player will never buy them. Rockets become weaker in damage potential but not seriously enough to forgoe their use.

DY

Post by DY » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:13 pm

SorryPAGAN, but I agree with Larry here on point #1. I've played about half a dozen PBEM games using LHTR (compard with around 8-10 games using AH rules) and I can safely say, that while they still aren't perfect (ie your point #3) they are the better of the two rulesets currently on offer.

Juggernought

Post by Juggernought » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:20 am

Sorry DY, but I agree with PAGAN here. If you want a better set of alternative techrules and NAs you should take a look at mine. More balanced! However I can never agree about the tech delay, simply bad work. As PAGAN says it's not the tech it's the way you choose to play! And there are no golden way to play.

Griffey

Heavy Bomber

Post by Griffey » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:59 am

Always do the math. The new heavy bomber will on the average inflict a loss of 4 and 17/36 IPC on the enemy, each time it strategically attacks. There is an 11/36 chance it will inflict a 6 IPC loss, a 9/36 chance it will inflict a 5 IPC loss, and a 7/36 chance it will inflict a 4 IPC loss, etc.

Normal bombers inflict an average 3.5 IPC loss with each attack.

Under the old rule, tha average heavy bomber IPC loss was 10.5 IPC.

All of the Wonder Weapons now confer only a marginal advantage.

In the original game, only two Wonder Weapons were worth acquiring: heavy bombers and industrial technology. The latter reduced the cost of all units by one IPC, so it encouraged the building of infantry only--a result one would expect from a national draft, not from better industrial production technology! If national will started to crumble, I would expect the cost of all kinds of units to go up by one IPC, then two IPC etc., making infantry more and more expensive relative to other units. Better production technology would tend make all units less expensive, EXCEPT infantry.

The new Wonder Weapons in A & A Revised are more balanced, but they are too expensive at 5 IPC per die roll. They are also too few in number.

I would like to see a large number of Wonder Weapon cards which players could roll for. A clever marketer could turn Axis & Allies into a card dependent game, like "Magic." Selling new Wonder Weapon cards to the fanatics would keep the money rolling in for you !

Not only WWs, but things like diplomatic coups could be rolled for. For example, getting as allies countries like Spain, Turkey, Persia, Vichy Syria, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, would be something like diplomatic coups.

DonMoody

No Sneaky Technology

Post by DonMoody » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:29 am

"First of all techs should not be used as some sort of sneak attack process… "

This is about as right as one can get.
What major, strategic level operations had - as a significant part of the operation - technological advances surprising the enemy?

The closest is the Germans encountering Russian T-34s in late 1941.
And considering they had captured/destroyed something like 1,000 or so of those in the previous months of 1941, any 'surprise' was much from German arrogance as it was from some quick advance of enemy technology.

No one should be surprised by a technological advancement of the enemy.
Any benefit from the technological advancement should be the advancement itself, not some 'surprise - I got this tech' affect.

DonMoody