Is Russian Revolution worth it for CP?

Breaking away from the Second World War and paying a visit and tribute to the First World War. Coming this March, 2013
Vincent

Is Russian Revolution worth it for CP?

Post by Vincent » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 pm

I was looking at the rules for victory conditions, and it occurred to me that maybe the CP would want to think twice about causing a revolution in Russia. Maybe avoid taking more than two territories adjacent to Moscow until it falls, so you can capture it as one of the two allied capitols needed for victory. That way you’ll only need to capture either Paris or London, instead of one of them plus another capitol. If you are that close to causing a revolution, I’m thinking the Russians are probably hanging on by their fingernails anyway, and it should fall in a turn or two. Plus, if you capture Moscow, you get to take the Russian player’s money, and you can continue to capture more Russian territories (and income) fighting against an army that can't build new units.

Has it played out this way for anyone? Or are the CPs just better off with one less front to cover, even if it’s only for another turn or two?

WILD BILL

Re: Is Russian Revolution worth it for CP?

Post by WILD BILL » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:13 pm

I think that if you have Russia beat down to very little and have a chance to take them out then yeah, forget the Revolution and get the Capital. In some games though, if the Russians back peddle to Moscow with a sizable force, you may be able get the 3 +1 territories you need, and contest their capital where their main force is. If you do that (and the UK isn't in a position to help them out) then you can effectively lock their army in Moscow, and they won't be able to attack the territories you fully control and bam Revolution. It generally takes one of the CP powers driving straight into the Russian wall, and have at least one unit survive to contest Moscow. If the Russians revolt w/30 units left on the map then that is awesome. If you fail to contest Moscow (keep a unit alive when you hit it), then you are probably in trouble, because the Russians may come out swinging and cripple your other CP army.
Last edited by WILD BILL on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 pm

This now under official review from Krieghund:

We're thinking about changing the Russian Revolution rule to allow the Central Powers to decline the armistice if they want to. That would keep Russia from "gaming" the rule. Of course, there is only one revolution, so accepting it is a one-time opportunity.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Flashman wrote:This now under official review from Krieghund:

We're thinking about changing the Russian Revolution rule to allow the Central Powers to decline the armistice if they want to. That would keep Russia from "gaming" the rule. Of course, there is only one revolution, so accepting it is a one-time opportunity.
I like that

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:06 am

I am still not convinced it'll ever be worth accepting the treaty for the CPs.

If the Allies have more than 3 brain cells between them they'll make sure they're in a position to take back most of enemy occupied Russia if the CPs move their eastern armies back west.

This movement will take a long time, unless Germany builds an expensive Baltic transport fleet; and they're still deprived of Moscow as a victory objective.

So why accept?

There needs to another incentive, possibly:

POWS - a number of infantry released by Russia to represent the million or more Central Powers POWS allowed to go back home.

Economic - Russian held tts count for CP IPC income representing the favorable economic terms of the treaty.

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Hmm. Yeah, I like the idea of CP getting some infantry (or IPCs) to represent released POWs. Or maybe all territories that are contested at the time of the Revolution become CP owned (with any Russian units in the territory removed from the map), and the income going to whichever CP has the most units present in the territory?

Autarch

Post by Autarch » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 am

How about just giving the CP armies a free train ride back to their respective capitals?

VonLettowVorbeck1914

Post by VonLettowVorbeck1914 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 am

Autarch wrote:How about just giving the CP armies a free train ride back to their respective capitals?
Back before the game came out I supported that; a one-time rail movement. However that was before we saw the map and how far from Berlin Paris is.