Tanks are BROKEN

Breaking away from the Second World War and paying a visit and tribute to the First World War. Coming this March, 2013
WILD BILL

Re: Tanks are BROKEN

Post by WILD BILL » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:46 am

Flashman wrote:Just in case you missed it, I don't believe tanks get to deflect hits from artillery when they're coming ashore.
Yeah, your right. I re-read this on page #22 under" Land combat-Assault" Tanks don't absorb hits from the art first strike. That's going to put a monkey wrench into my opponents plans (they've been talking about it). Not sure if I'm going to tell them before they start buying tanks, or just wait to break that news when they mount their amphib assaults LOL

It does make sense to me that it is this way, below is a quote from Krieghund describing what happens in an amphib (and art first strike). It was part of an answer for ftrs being transported by ship being able to participate in the dog fight, but being subject to first strike art fire before the normal land battle begins (in which the ftr would be able to dog fight). He also mentions tanks in this brief undertaking, and when the art first strike takes place (before normal combat) they would still be coming ashore, or crated. They wouldn't absorb a hit in this very vulnerable position, but would be ready to go (able to absorb a hit) once the normal land combat starts.

Krieghunds quote:
"Yes. Remember, we're talking about battles that last weeks, if not months. Amphibious air units (like tanks) are being unloaded in crates from transports and brought ashore. During this process, they can be hit by the pre-emptive artillery strike. After they are ashore (assuming they make it), they are prepared for fighting and may participate in the land battle".

VonLettowVorbeck1914

Post by VonLettowVorbeck1914 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:43 pm

Each attacking tank reducing 1 enemy infantry to 1 while reducing the cost to 5 seems like something I might implement if we find they aren't getting bought.

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:02 pm

WILD BILL wrote:
BTW how can you call something broken when you haven't even bought, or played the game yet? Come on Q, your better then that :mrgreen:
Thanks my friend, well said. I just played the first half of the new game of 1914 today! This tank thing is starting to make a little more sense.

Things I observed:

The supply lines for units can be long so with units being mobilized at the capital only (no ICs), it take a while to get units to where you want them.

This makes tanks a "long term" type of buy. The extra absorbed hit by the tank comes in handy in long supply routes and as others have said already, they seem to be more advantageous when you have 2-3 or more of them.

Love the Naval mines, German sub rule, and Russian revolution rules.

Also love the air supremacy.

Hate the mini-dice ( I exchanged mine to regular), no money (had to add this) and of course you have to buy 2 copies b/c they cheap out on the pieces (WOTC's fault, not Larry's)

All in all, I'm really warming up to this game. Excited to play again soon. :D

JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:54 am

I just got the game delivered yesterday. Fortunately, I read the rules ahead of time and it allowed me to set up and play right away. I played all the sides by myself to test it out last night. Obviously, I did not get to finish it. I did not even get to turn 4, so I could not even purchase a tank yet. With that said, it proves that I am no expert. At least, not yet. Here is how I envision the use of tanks.

I plan to use them in the large battles sparingly. If I had a big battle with 15 units or more on both sides, it would be advisable to have at least 1 tank. Ideally, I would like to get 2-3 even. With the ability to save a hit each turn, the tanks save you 3 IPCs per turn by saving you the loss of 1 infantry. Over 2 turns, they pay for themselves. If you keep them for the long haul, they are a valuable commodity. With this said, I do not plan to get many of them bc they lack the firepower that the other units can provide. I think they would be best suited for the nation that plans to go on the offense, especially if they are against a combined multinational defensive force. Here is an example.
With Russia recently knocked out of the war it is now turn 4. Germany starts building tanks to invade and knock out France. They see that there is a large force in France consisting of both French and UK units. Knowing that they cannot attack together, it would be advisable to go in with tanks to absorb hits on their combined defensive fire.

I wouldn't say they have many uses, but there is a niche for sure that makes them valuable.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Having played through a full game, I can confidently state that, despite my earlier skepticism, tanks ain't broke.

In two decisive attacks on the western front, the UK practically destroyed two large German armies without suffering a single casualty, thanks to its stack of 8 tanks.

They must be built only when you're confident of attacking every turn, and that you can absorb hits on counter-attack by your infantry.

You will see large British tank armies become standard in this game, due to the ability to bridge them over the channel 2 per transport.

Imperious leader

Re: Tanks are NOT BROKEN

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:14 pm

I told you all but nobody listens.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Whackamatt

Post by Whackamatt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 pm

I think tanks are very useful.

In our game, the British player bought 6 tanks as soon as they were available. Large stacks are possible. They were then placed in India, where the Ottoman player couldn't counter them or afford to. They moved into Persia, and the Ottoman player did not have enough units to get a single casualty on that front. With the Ottoman's dividing his forces between Egypt, Russia, and the minor powers to the North, he couldn't field anything that could move that stack of tanks.

Yes, they only defend at a 1, but if your oppontent can't even field as many units as you have tanks, they won't attack.

I can also forsee them playing a part in a good Russian defense. If Russia saves up money and drops a large number of tanks just as the Central powers reach Moscow, they're going to have a difficult time taking Russia.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Whackamatt wrote:Yes, they only defend at a 1, but if your oppontent can't even field as many units as you have tanks, they won't attack.
You do know that tanks only absorb hits when attacking, right?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok