Imperial Germany

Breaking away from the Second World War and paying a visit and tribute to the First World War. Coming this March, 2013
Flashman

Re: Imperial Germany

Post by Flashman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks, some good points.

But it somehow seems dishonest to plan to land a fighter in a tt you're attacking, and may not be able to capture or end up contesting, even though as you point out the fighter cannot survive if all your infantry are destroyed.

It seems you can never have units in a land tt without at least 1 of your own infantry. I'm wondering if this extends to having to keep an infantry in every occupied tt in order to collect cash from it - this would make sense, after all Germany had to keep about 1 million troops in the areas ceded from Russia to hold them down.

We can only assume that planes can land on any old airfield, even one just captured from the enemy.

I was guessing that the naval bb could be printed on the reverse of the land bb, but probably they use the same board.

My point about mines was that, say the Allies completely occupy Austria; wouldn't they be able to force the Austrians to give them complete details of mine laying, to such an extent that mines in the Adriatic would no longer be a threat to allied shipping? Or, at least, no more than they had been to the Austrian navy?

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Flashman wrote:Thanks, some good points.

My point about mines was that, say the Allies completely occupy Austria; wouldn't they be able to force the Austrians to give them complete details of mine laying, to such an extent that mines in the Adriatic would no longer be a threat to allied shipping? Or, at least, no more than they had been to the Austrian navy?
I believe that a NB will be part of a particular land territory, and also be assigned to an adjacent sz (only services one sz).

If the allies control all of Austria's territories, then they would also hold the Austrian territory w/NB. Therefore once the allies have total control of the territory w/NB there are no mines any more (I guess they were cleared). Rules say Austria would need to either have control of their original territory w/NB, or it could be contested to build ships, have mines etc...

They may be able to regain the abilities of the NB (mines, ship mobilization, and repair) if Austria or the Central Powers liberate or contest the original Austrian territory w/NB. Well I guess as long as the Austrian capital isn't controlled by the allies that is.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:16 am

Another question about mines: how do they effect neutrals?

That is: are Italian minefields hostile to Austrian ships even before Italy is at war?

Assuming SZ1 is mined, would a CP ship entering the SZ have to roll for mines even when America is still neutral?

It might even be that mines of major neutrals are hostile to BOTH sides before that power is actively "at war".

Or, that neutrals do not activate their own minefields until declaring war.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Quick pic of the German moves.

If this setup is correct, then it suggests that Germany will without strategic rail movement have more difficulty reinforcing the western front than the Allies, certainly if it intends to occupy Belgium & Lorraine. That is, it will take 3 turns to get new units into these tts, when it should take only one, or perhaps two if not permitted to rail into contested areas.
Attachments
ImperialGermany1.PNG
ImperialGermany1.PNG (15.09 KiB) Viewed 4198 times

oztea

Post by oztea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:14 pm

^lol wtf^

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:42 pm

How, exactely, is the Western Front mapped - does the tt of Ruhr border both Belgium and Lorraine, or just Belgium - same goes for Alsace? This is very important to the overall German strtegy! :D

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:04 pm

This is how I think the Demo game looks at the moment:

(Munich might border Silesia if the Diplomacy model is being followed.)

Will France throw everything into Lorraine and leave Belgium to be liberated by Britain, or try to drive the Germans out of both these contested tts?
Attachments
FrenchMove2.PNG
FrenchMove2.PNG (14.08 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
Last edited by Flashman on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks, Flashman for your nice maps! It's quite a downer for Germany that Ruhr doesn't border Lorraine, since then Germany could put ALL their western front units into that tt right a way, thus ignoring Belgium and threatening Paris on the very first turn.