Report from the Front Turn One

Breaking away from the Second World War and paying a visit and tribute to the First World War. Coming this March, 2013
WILD BILL

Re: Report from the Front Turn One

Post by WILD BILL » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think you could advance units from, or through a contested territory into an enemy controlled territory beyond it (doesn't make sense especially when you think of trench warfare). I think you would need to gain control of the contested territory first, then if you still have control on your next turn then advance forward (making it a slow process and stagnating front). You may be able to move laterally from one contested territory to another along the front though, and should be able to retreat from a contested territory back to a friendly territory.

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:54 pm

VonLettowVorbeck1914
1. From the tomatoes, can Germany move into the carrots if there are still French in the tomatoes?
No...Land units that begin the turn in contested territories can only be moved to territories that are controlled by your power, or to territories that are also contested and already contain units belonging to your power.

2. Can they move into the beans from the tomatoes since they already have units there?
Yes... they can move into territories that are also contested and already contain units belonging to your power.
3. Can they retreat from the contested territories to either another contested territory or back to Germany?
Yes... If you move all of your units out of a contested territory and leave only units from the other side there, the other side will immediately claim the territory. If the territory was originally controlled by a power on the other side, that power will take control (even if it has no units present). Otherwise, if there are units belonging to only one enemy power in the territory, that power will take control, but if there are units belonging to more than one enemy power, they must decide between them who will take control of the territory. If they can’t decide you decide for them...

Old Dwarf

Post by Old Dwarf » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:12 pm

I just went to the Kitchen & got some dip :)

Nice Report really looking forward to the next. The Victory
Conditions do not do it for me but maybe there are other
Victory Levels if no side takes the Capitals :?: Probably
not but it does seem rather non WWI'ish.

Over all the mechanics do work for the scale of the Game
& I can't wait for my pre-order.
Für Kaiser und König

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Is there any limit to the number of Infantry needed to prevent the enemy moving on? It seems not.

So, if I am contesting a territory (but haven't moved yet this turn) and things look bad for me next turn, I can retreat everything back out of it but one Infantry and this will hold all of the enemy units up (no matter what and how many) for one more turn, right?
Caractacus.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:23 pm

As long as that area is not contested or under attack.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Caractacus wrote:Is there any limit to the number of Infantry needed to prevent the enemy moving on? It seems not.

So, if I am contesting a territory (but haven't moved yet this turn) and things look bad for me next turn, I can retreat everything back out of it but one Infantry and this will hold all of the enemy units up (no matter what and how many) for one more turn, right?
Looks like it. But there examples of small, well entrenched garrisons holding up large forces, so it isn't as mad as it might appear.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Larry said no rail. Period.

It is in no way unhistorical for the Germans to shift entire armies from east to west or vice versa in a single turn. It would take, what, a week using the extensive German railways? If the USA enters on turn 4 that means a turn represents about 1 year; well certainly enough time for a front-to-front redeployment.

In fact, the entire German plan in 1914 was to crush France quickly (about 90% of German strength was concentrated on the western borders), and then move the armies east in just this way before the Russians could get too far into Prussia.

And again, after the treaty with the Bolsheviks in 1917, Germany shifted the bulk of the eastern armies west by train to mount a massive attack in the west before Pershing had finished parading his men around the training grounds.

The western allies did move their armies around behind the front by rail, so again this is authentic.
Certain areas did not have relevant railways, so this should not be possible in North or Central Africa, which is why I'd prefer rail networks printed on the map. Next time...

I certainly agree that rail movement should only ever be between controlled tts, never through or into contested areas and definitely not into combat. You use it to build up your strength behind the front lines, rather than have infantry take four years to march the length of Europe. It is not as devastating as it first seems, because the enemy can always use their own rails to counter the strategic move before the enemy can get such armies into battle.

Flash, I agree that rail at some level would be cool, but also caution that you can't give a power the ability to completely realign their units in a single turn over 5-6 territories. For instance if the German/Austrians have 20 units each at the Russian front, they can't be allowed to just shift them to France (or the French front) in one turn. That would completely throw off balance (as you are aware). There would have to be some kind of limits to how many units could pass through a territory by rail (would be to complicated for this game), or maybe extra movement (like +1) for units that stay with-in territories that are completely controlled by their side. A mechanism where you're not allowed to enter enemy, or contested territories if your taking the extra movement point(s). The later could probably work for this game, but even that might be too much of an advantage for one side or the other depending on who holds what at any given time. It would definitely help the Central Powers moving across the continent, but would also allow the English & Americans to move from the French coast to the front, or across N Africa double time (would be cool to look at though, and test).

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:07 pm

I infer, then, that minor allies are brought in (mobilized) when a unit of their big brother moves in.
For example, Bulgaria goes to war when a Turkish unit moves into Bulgaria (a Turkish ally).
But can Austria or Germany activate Bulgaria in the same way?

Can the UK mobilize Portugal (French ally) by moving into Mozambique, or would this be considered a violation of neutrality?