Report from the Front Turn One

Breaking away from the Second World War and paying a visit and tribute to the First World War. Coming this March, 2013
VonLettowVorbeck1914

Re: Report from the Front Turn One

Post by VonLettowVorbeck1914 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:08 pm

I think it would be really cool to allow the special rail movement for Germany ONCE; the turn AFTER Moscow or Paris is taken (or the Revolution), Germany can move from Paris to any CP Russian Territory (or a German TT if there are no CP controlled Russian territories. on a continuous line, or from any 1 or 2 Russian territories to a German territory.

That might be a little off topic, but it sounded fun to me.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Germany shouldn't be going anywhere near Moscow. They'll be heading for Petrograd...

But why limit rail movement by anything other than where rails actually were? If they can move an army from Berlin to Baghdad in one turn I say let them do it.

VonLettowVorbeck1914

Post by VonLettowVorbeck1914 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Flashman wrote:Germany shouldn't be going anywhere near Moscow. They'll be heading for Petrograd...
DOH! :oops: :D

Old habits die hard. Me Germany. Me Want Moscow.

BTW, Larry; thanks for the clarification, and remember to eat your veggies!

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Flashman wrote:I infer, then, that minor allies are brought in (mobilized) when a unit of their big brother moves in.
For example, Bulgaria goes to war when a Turkish unit moves into Bulgaria (a Turkish ally).
But can Austria or Germany activate Bulgaria in the same way?

Can the UK mobilize Portugal (French ally) by moving into Mozambique, or would this be considered a violation of neutrality?
Quote from Larry's report:
"Both Serbia and Romania are Russian allies. This is indicated by the small Imperial Russian Eagle emblem located on both the territories"

From what Larry said above and continuing into his next paragraph if you are activating a minor power to absorb the units into your army it should have your marker on it. Sounds like it must be that particular power, or they will fight you.

PS: I think rail would be pretty cool at some limited level in NCM, but entire armies having the ability to move 5-6 territories on a whim (even in a historical route) would destroy balance IMO (it would be to difficult to predict with in the confines of the game). These games are set for certain expectations in unit movement for balance, and I can't see major armies (or large navies going port to port) being allowed to move halfway across the map if you want some kind balanced system.

I'm all for some limited rail abilities (even printed on the map), and it would be cool to attack this infrastructure w/SBR or cutting off these lines by capturing territories in the route. Sounds like we will have to resort to house rules this time around though (again).

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Mmm, I was looking at the setup and saw there are no french units in central Africa, so wondered if the UK can enter the Portuguese tts and bring Portugal into the war. However, looking again at Larry's post it seems that only the capital (i.e. Portugal) counts for mobilization. Presumably if Germany attacks a Portuguese colony the whole of Portugal is mobilized.

WILD BILL wrote:
Flashman wrote:I infer, then, that minor allies are brought in (mobilized) when a unit of their big brother moves in.
For example, Bulgaria goes to war when a Turkish unit moves into Bulgaria (a Turkish ally).
But can Austria or Germany activate Bulgaria in the same way?

Can the UK mobilize Portugal (French ally) by moving into Mozambique, or would this be considered a violation of neutrality?
Quote from Larry's report:
"Both Serbia and Romania are Russian allies. This is indicated by the small Imperial Russian Eagle emblem located on both the territories"

From what Larry said above and continuing into his next paragraph if you are activating a minor power to absorb the units into your army it should have your marker on it. Sounds like it must be that particular power, or they will fight you.

PS: I think rail would be pretty cool at some limited level in NCM, but entire armies having the ability to move 5-6 territories on a whim (even in a historical route) would destroy balance IMO (it would be to difficult to predict with in the confines of the game). These games are set for certain expectations in unit movement for balance, and I can't see major armies (or large navies going port to port) being allowed to move halfway across the map if you want some kind balanced system.

I'm all for some limited rail abilities (even printed on the map), and it would be cool to attack this infrastructure w/SBR or cutting off these lines by capturing territories in the route. Sounds like we will have to resort to house rules this time around though (again).

valtteri771

Post by valtteri771 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:00 pm

Nice report! Has there still been a picture of the map or any info on its size and amount of territories?

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:16 pm

Imperious leader wrote:As long as that area is not contested or under attack.
Sorry, yes, I thought that bit was obvious. I was just wanting clarification on the 'I have 14 units in this space and he has one; am I pinned here for the turn while I deal with them' situation.

I assume that yes, I am, but I just hoped to trigger Larry into confirming it.
Caractacus.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 pm

I though that maybe if you withdraw from a contested area, you have to withdraw all your units.
But we really need to see how multi-national armies function.

Only pic of the map so far is this (blow up image):

http://www.wizards.com/ContentResources ... _en_US.pdf

My guess is that this is pretty close to the setup, others disagree.