Sea Lion in Alpha 3

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Axisplaya

Re: Sea Lion in Alpha 3

Post by Axisplaya » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:12 am

Hello,

Did some testing with a friend with this:

Move the French cruiser in 112 to 110.
Move the UK cruiser in 112 to 111.
Move the German cruiser and transport in 113 to 114.
Add 1 UK infantry and 1 French infantry to United Kingdom.
Add 1 UK infantry and 1 AA gun to Scotland.

Change the Soviet "Spread of Communism" NO to "3 IPCs for each original German, Italian, or pro-Axis neutral territory that the Soviet Union controls."

I don't have time to make a complete report, but with a friend, we tested this for hours, and in the end, we found out that the beefing of UK is a good thing. It is more risky and costly for Germany to try Sealion.
At the same time, with the german CA still in sz113, Germany still has some interesting possibilities for G1.
We tried 2 games with the Sealion, and each time, Russia has become a monster that ended up resisting alone to Germany with ease until round 11 and up.

We tried 2 different approach:

1- Classical
Gather UK fleet in sz92 to try to mess with the sealion, or kill the german fleet after sealion. (Sealion worked but very costly for Germany as only 3 tnks were left alive), UK fleet was destroyed while German fleet was saved. Sounds good, BUT...With so many losses, Russia was able to fight for the 1st line of German territories MUCH longer than they normally can and ended up with a very depressing (for Germany)stack of units in Russia. They also took Korea for 2 full turns because Japan's fleet was around sz36, and land units were not enough to stop the 18inf russian stack.

2- Kill Italy, and boost Russia.
This was one of the funniest game for allies that i ever played.
Allies basically said: OK, take UK, but forget about Italy for a very long while (forever actually).
Taranto + sz96, bring CA, BB from sz110 to sz92.
UK 2, kill the last italian tr at all cost with last remaining boats/planes in range.
Russia 3: take Fin, Pol, Hun, Rom, Kor and NPR ! Build 3 tnks Vol.
Russia 4: again, cash in Rom, Hun, Kor AND ACTIVATE CPR. 3tnk from Vol > Npr
Russia 5: Rom, Kor (last round of the game for Kor) and....IRQ ! (complex Cpr, IrQ + 1NOfor Irq (pro axis territory) = 7 IPC for Russia in the midwest !!).
Those 7 IPC have been an atrocious pain for the Axis. When finally Russia was pushed back totally inside her soil, they were still making around 40 IPC / round because of midwest.
This with emphasis on getting some us troops in Gib as soon as turn 4 or 5.

In short, these changes are welcome as they make Sealion much less appealing while still very doable (which if i recall was the idea in the first place :D )

I think we might see more russians in the midwest with Irq so juicy now ...

Kaufschtick

Post by Kaufschtick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 am

oztea wrote:I think its OK to leave the cruiser in 113.
If Germany wants to sail its fleet out like Jutland in WWI it will suffer the consequences.

Also, Im in love with the fact that Germany's fleet cant smack around 112 and then stay under air cover. Really made for a stale G1 in my opinion. Free kills.
I'm in complete agreement with the gentleman from Pennsylvania. :)
Young, Rodger W., Private, 148th Infantry, 37th Infantry Division; born Tiffin, Ohio, 28 April 1918; died 31 July 1943, on the island of New Georgia, Solomons, South Pacific, while singlehandedly attacking and destroying an enemy machine-gun pillbox.

oztea

Post by oztea » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Thakyou Kaufschtick
Something citizens from our two great states can agree on.
......excluding our obvious football disagreements.

I yeild the remainder of my time to Krieghund, who should change some French units to British in France, and put an end to this once and for all.

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:37 am

oztea wrote:Thakyou Kaufschtick
Something citizens from our two great states can agree on.
......excluding our obvious football disagreements.

I yeild the remainder of my time to Krieghund, who should change some French units to British in France, and put an end to this once and for all.
Is this for game balance or something?

I don't see how it's historical - the box itself claims that we are post-Dunkirk, and there was only the remains of the 51st Highland Division in France after that, fighting as the rearguard that protected the evacuation. Part of a division doesn't really warrant an Infantry piece, surely?

Or have we given up on the time-frame mentioned on the box, and we are being more general about it now?
Caractacus.

JimmyHat

Post by JimmyHat » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:56 am

That can't be right. Pretty sure UK had 1 division in the maginot line. 2 divisions were cut off and had to retreat to france, not dunkirk--and at least 2 divisions were shipped over to LeHarve after Dunkrik but before the battle of france. I'm sure IL can give us the exact numbers although I bet I am close.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:54 am

I take it then that everyone is mostly satisfied with the changes? Does anyone have any comments on the effect of them on the balance of the Eastern Front?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:10 am

Krieghund wrote:I take it then that everyone is mostly satisfied with the changes? Does anyone have any comments on the effect of them on the balance of the Eastern Front?
Please list once again your final recommended changes.

Thanks!

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:21 am

Move the French cruiser in 112 to 110.
Move the UK cruiser in 112 to 111.
Move the German cruiser and transport in 113 to 114.
Add 1 UK infantry* and 1 French infantry to United Kingdom.
Add 1 UK infantry and 1 AA gun to Scotland.
Change 1 French tank and 1 French artillery in France to UK units.

Change the Soviet "Spread of Communism" NO to "3 IPCs for each original German, Italian, or pro-Axis neutral territory that the Soviet Union controls."

* I'm on the fence about changing this unit to a mechanized infantry, but I don't think Larry will go for it anyway.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok