Global 1941 Setup (Revised for Alpha +3)

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Uncrustable

Re: Global 1941 Setup (Revised for Alpha +3)

Post by Uncrustable » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:07 pm

oztea wrote:
Finland - 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank

I think this should also say control marker ?

oztea

Post by oztea » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks yes, there are some glitches in this process. :D As I'm sure Larry can attest to.

oztea

Post by oztea » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:40 pm

Also, BigDumbSwede's comment about the SS vs BB in 97 being a sore loss...the option to NCM a german Sub and German DD to 97 on G1 exists, if protecting the damaged BB, at a busted up port is what you want to do as the axis.

Uncrustable

Post by Uncrustable » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:12 pm

im glad for this settup mod, ive always considered a 1941 setup more enjoyable than any of the others...ever since AA50

it is straight to the point

the 40 setup is usually a little boring for the americans and russians for several turns, and is not challenging at all for the germans and japanese on their first 2 turns.

42 setups skip some of the good action (early Barbarossa and pearlharbor mainly)

acting out pearl harbor really adds alot of fun and relate-ability to the game

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:45 am

Uncrustable wrote:im glad for this settup mod, ive always considered a 1941 setup more enjoyable than any of the others...ever since AA50

it is straight to the point

the 40 setup is usually a little boring for the americans and russians for several turns, and is not challenging at all for the germans and japanese on their first 2 turns.
It, however, also massively reduces the options available and takes the war further down a known route. It favours quick games and pre-game planning rather than the slightly more open-ended game start we have now (pace the row over whether Sealion is a no-brainer).
Uncrustable wrote:42 setups skip some of the good action (early Barbarossa and pearlharbor mainly)

acting out pearl harbor really adds alot of fun and relate-ability to the game
If you are American.

If you are not, then it is neither here nor there. Further, removing the Battle of Britain removes 'relatability' for British players (and Polish, and some French).

Mind you, the annoying thing about 1940 is that the US player can see Pearl Harbor coming and remove his fleet (assuming that it takes place historically(-ish)after Turn 1). That DOES spoil it from a real-world-believability standpoint, so in that sense, yeah, I agree.

I think the best argument for a '41 set-up is that the game can be played to a conclusion more swiftly - and with a game this size, this means a lot.
Caractacus.

mantlefan

Post by mantlefan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 am

Oz, I was wondering what changes you might recommend (such as the 2 russian inf per turn) for playing this just on the Europe map. My dad and I usually don't have time for a global game, and we'd really like to try to get a good 1941 setup for Europe, starting with your great one.

I'm not saying it's going to be balanced right off the bat, but assuming we want to keep 2 russian inf per turn coming into Novosibirsk like written in the 1940 Europe rulebook, what other changes do you recommend? My first glance is that without changes, Germany will have it too easy.
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles

oztea

Post by oztea » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Im not sure mantlefan, ive actually never played Europe stand alone. So I really have no idea.

UrJohn

Post by UrJohn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Oztea, I'm setting up and looking at your 1941 setup right now. I'm thinking about getting together with a couple guys and playing it in the next couple weeks. And I have some questions for you about your setup.

Do the starting IPCs represent the on-board income, the starting cash, or both?

How do you treat NOs as they relate to starting cash?

What is the starting political situation? Is USA at war? What about USSR? Is UK/ANZAC at war with Japan? Is Japan at war with France? Are Germany and Italy at war with China?