Global 1941 Setup (Revised for Alpha +3)

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
WILD BILL

Re: Global 1941 Setup (Revised for Alpha +3)

Post by WILD BILL » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:51 pm

I just set-up the board w/oz41. At first glance the Germans look more then ready to release Barbarossa. Russia will have to think quick, and make some tough choices. I like what you did w/Russia in Yak. Those fast units can go either way, not sure if enough inf could make it home in time though (if the Russia player wants that). I'm sure through your own play testing the Russians have at least a fighting chance to save Moscow (might need some help). I don't think I would place a minor in Romania, they can still buy one if they want to. At some point the Germans may need to have the option of dropping 10 units in their capital if the western allies manage to take W Germany, and reduce it to a minor. Looks like the the bulk of the UK Atlantic navy will survive (un-Larry like, but I like it). Maybe it was a compromise for the Med/North Africa (looks like axis have the upper hand there).

One last thing is that I personally like Germany to get Yugo so they have the option of building an IC (naval builds mostly). I don't know who would have occupied it historically, but the option to drop subs there is nice (under Italian protection). You can also use it to deploy German units to def the Balkans. Yeah the S France IC is useful to Germany, but is more exposed for navy. Plus I have noticed that if Italy owns all the tt's that boarder sz97 convoy can be a devastating to them (more IPCs).

I also like some of the facilities (& German BB) starting with damage.

Just some off the top observations, think we'll give it a go tonight (I will give you feedback if it happens).

I have a couple set-up questions for you:

1) Both UK & Italy are listed for Ethiopia, I'm assuming the UK is to keep it, and the Italian inf goes in Italian Somalia.
2) sz 106 looks strange, I could see the German sub being there first then UK built the DD & tpt (still strange), but the US DD isn't allowed to be there by rule yet (not at war, and must be adjacent to US tt's except for sz 102 on the Euro side).
3) The Japs don't seem to be as deep into China as I would have thought. They only have one inf in Yunnan, with no real counter attack. Plus they should probably also hold Hunan. If I may suggest making Hunan Jap, and moving an inf/art up from Kiangsu? I do like the Chinese starting w/AA & 1 art.
4) I understand why you gave the Russians a DD in sz 5, but it's not really practical. If the Japs don't kill it, it will probably head to Hawaii or the American coast which just seems wrong.
5) I thought the UK would start w/Persia. They should at least get E Persia in set-up (normally theirs round two), so they can claim Persia on UK1 w/o using a tpt.

oztea

Post by oztea » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Thank you for the notice of the Ethiopia slip up

As for the Yugoslavia control. Nominaly Italy had control of the coast there, the interior of the country was pretty much unoccupied and had a lot of communist gurellas.

106 is a bit of an encapuslation of the battle of the atlantic. US destroyers had begun to patrol this area (in violation of that pesky US rule). The US would also soon be taking over Iceland from the UK (Where my Grandfather served during the Battle of the Atlanitc) The US destroyer is there so it can get to 109 on US 1 and show some American involvement.

According to maps of the period, and Japanese strategy, they never really did get too deep into China. They kind of just hugged the coast. They did cut the Burma road just before hostillites with the west, thats why that lone infantry is there. He is a lone infantry because I feared a japanese player cramming Yunnan full of planes and keeping the road cut for the entire game.

The Russian DD is only there to prevent bombardment. And to scare Japan a little bit. In some of my other rule sets Russia has a special rule similar to the American rule "Soviet ships must stay adjacent to Soviet territory untill they are at war on that board" But since USSR declaring war on Japan really has absoloutley no reprucussions, I omited the rule. Hopefully a good allied player would realize the Soviet destroyer is doing more good protecting the coast than going to Hawaii. Also, since the USSR and US turns are split by Japan, there isnt really any can opener possiblities either.

The Iran/Iraq issue is under review.
Germany did send some air units to Iraq via Syria in 1940-41 to help the Iraqis, so that may stay axis neutral. Iran is left neutral so the Soviets can get it or the UK.
But like I said, it's under review.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:14 pm

As for the Russian DD in sz5, it should go. We are only in the 2nd round, but it didn't stay put. It sailed to the Aleutians (as I thought it would), I didn't want to spend the resources killing it J1 (but if it stays in the set-up you have to). It caused me a headache J1 & now J2. If I put a dd block out so the US can't amphib my home island that damn Russian dd could get lucky, kill it and open the door. Japan has enough to worry about in the naval dept, I move to have that Russian dd decommissioned ASAP.

oztea

Post by oztea » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:22 pm

If I put a dd block out so the US can't amphib my home island that damn Russian dd could get lucky, kill it and open the door.
Turn order
Soviets
Japan
United States

If the Destroyer got lucky and poped the blocker, Japan has a turn to react before the US could attack

Considering the following rule additions (though I wanted the 41 setup to have 0 special rules)

1) Soviet Ships must stay in Soviet waters (border Soviet territory) untill they are at war on that board
2) Mongolia will never join the Soviet Union if the USSR declares war on Japan unprovoked.

My long term goal is to make Russo-Japanese confict disadvantageous to both sides.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:59 am

oztea wrote:
If I put a dd block out so the US can't amphib my home island that damn Russian dd could get lucky, kill it and open the door.
Turn order
Soviets
Japan
United States

If the Destroyer got lucky and poped the blocker, Japan has a turn to react before the US could attack

Considering the following rule additions (though I wanted the 41 setup to have 0 special rules)

1) Soviet Ships must stay in Soviet waters (border Soviet territory) until they are at war on that board
2) Mongolia will never join the Soviet Union if the USSR declares war on Japan unprovoked.

My long term goal is to make Russo-Japanese conflict disadvantageous to both sides.
OK, yeah I can replace blocker (had brain fart). I still don't like it though, and don't want to lose 2 ships. I got tiered of looking at it so I sent a cruiser+ frt after it (no dd, my bad) and of coarse lost the cruiser (it's gone though yippy). It would be better if it was included in the NAP as you said, at least it would be stuck there. Of coarse my opponent is LHFAO. We are both getting diced too, and lost a few tpts in the process. We are having a good time though, and thats all that matters.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:58 pm

As for Yugo, Hitler was working on a deal w/Prince Paul when the Serbian coup took place, and he didn't wait to see if a deal was still possible w/new gov (although it may have). He took it as an insult and crushed them in 11 days. The Germans were the first to move in, and the Luftwaffe pounded them. Italy and the other axis minors moved in days after. Serbia ended up under German occupation for the most part, and Croatia was split between German/Italian. Other parts were fragmented off, but they all answered to Germany (Hitler), it could really go either way IMO.

The US dd in 106 is still a rule violation anyway you look at it (need to decide if this is based on Alpha3, and if Larry would allow it- answer no). Yeah the US was in those waters historically, and took control of Iceland (nice story BTW), but this game doesn't reflect that either (it is still UK). US can get to Iceland US1 from sz 101, not sure why you think they should be off coast of England sz 109 US1 (UK already has naval superiority there in this version). DD should be moved to maybe sz 89 (that's what we did), or re-moved altogether IMO. The US also already has a dd in 101 too.I would buy that the UK dd off Canada was the result of the deal just before the war to trade US dd's to UK for use of the UK bases.

Japs deeper into China was just a quick observation, I can see having Yunnan weakly def, and if you award Hunan to the Japs the Chinese would start w/8 IPC (not able to buy 3 inf first turn), so it works.

I could live w/Russian dd if it has to stay put until at war, but it still causes unneeded headaches for Jap IMO (they already face many powers by sea, and they are all alone out there).

As far as the Mid East I think I would leave Iraq pro-axis (that's how Larry see's it). As for Persia if your siding w/history, both Russia/UK rushed in to defend their interests. I think that the Russians should be able to get NW Persia (probable should have been worth 1 IPC in hindsight). They did invade it to def the oil in the Caucasus (strategic), and keep access to the rail hub (lend lease). The UK occupied what the tt Persia represents in the game, and should be set-up to take it on their first turn from E Persia IMO (w/o using a tpt) as the game starts on turn #3 (they would be there).

**One other observation is that the Germans should have at least a couple AA guns at the boarder ready to NCM into Russian tt w/Barbarossa (game starts G3). Normally we move the German tt AA guns to the boarder to protect your troops as they move in (should be reflected at set-up), then use the West German AA guns were needed (or buy more to protect the Fatherland).

Please don't take these suggestions the wrong way. I'm only trying to give you honest feedback on what I think is a very big undertaking on your part. Nice job so far from what I can tell BTW. Now if you could only have a word w/my dice (they are killing me).

oztea

Post by oztea » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:56 pm

The AA guns on the front lines was under consideration
Most playthroughs I have done see Germany do very well. I was afraid to give Germany even more of a boost.

Wild Bill....in your opinion.
Does the 1941 allow players to play longer into the war vs the 1940 setup?
Would it (in its final incarnation) be suitable for tourneyments because it elimnates the first two turns of foolishness in the 1940 setup?

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:23 pm

oztea wrote:The AA guns on the front lines was under consideration
Most playthroughs I have done see Germany do very well. I was afraid to give Germany even more of a boost.

Wild Bill....in your opinion.
Does the 1941 allow players to play longer into the war vs the 1940 setup?
Would it (in its final incarnation) be suitable for tourneyments because it elimnates the first two turns of foolishness in the 1940 setup?
I think it would be the preferred game in tourney's because all powers get their feet wet from the beginning (not as much sitting idle), and you will get 3 rounds deeper into the game before the time limit is up to better determine the outcome (or comeback). I think that if time is a problem (and it is normally) it would be a great option even for a weekender w/friends. It is my hope that Larry will work on a 41/42 version somewhere down the line, or at least get involved/endorse something like you have put together (give his own spin).