Shuffle Italian Units

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
questioneer

Shuffle Italian Units

Post by questioneer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:37 am

Since Britain doesn't fear Sealion as much now and can focus on the Med...here's a KISS way of quickly adjusting the Italian units from the current Alpha+3 setup to make things a little easier for Italy in the Med w/o giving them barely anything...

1. Change the Strat Bmr back to a Tac and move it to SItaly (helps in scrambling defense)

2. Switch the DD in z96 with the CZ in z97 (gives Italy a better chance at hitting a plane or stalls a damaged AC in z96)

3. Add 1inf to Libya (now that Italy will lose at least a Transport this can help in NAfrica abit)

Gargantua

Re: Shuffle Italian Units

Post by Gargantua » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:02 pm

I don't get how #2 helps.... ? It makes the Sz96 attack a pip easier - which is the risky attack, and the Malta attack is still just as juicy?

Same sh-t different pile?

Gargantua

Post by Gargantua » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Also, as for moving the TAC south. I disagree, the Germans are still going to have to send 2 planes there. Or italy's going to add 2/3's of their air force to the DECEASED list of UK1.

I mean, imagine if you put the whole Italian airforce in Southern France ok Italy 1? UK attacks the battleship / cruiser / aircraft.

Italy is left with no planes, and likely, 1 dst, 1 cru, 1 trn. W O W !

That's the SAME as the french would still have left sitting off southern france.

Talk about Doomage...

Maybe the Germans need to send 3 planes to Southern france for defence... giving the Italians the edge to attack?

mantlefan

Post by mantlefan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:39 am

Now that I think about it, Italy going first isn't historically a bad idea either. They had invaded Libya in what, 1936-37?

Having them go first but start neutral seems the best fit in terms of simplicity and efficacy.
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:54 pm

AS i had originally suggested before, just make Italy a belligerent only on her turn after Paris falls. So nobody can attack her before she plays and she can only start her war if Paris falls. This is exactly Historical.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Kobu

Post by Kobu » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Imperious leader wrote:AS i had originally suggested before, just make Italy a belligerent only on her turn after Paris falls. So nobody can attack her before she plays and she can only start her war if Paris falls. This is exactly Historical.
I think I'm in agreement with you here. Italy declared in June, Taranto didn't even happen until November. It's kind of strange to have the UK destroy the Italian navy before Italy's September attack into Egypt, or for the Brits to trash everything in Tobruk before Italy can do a thing. Italy should be opening the major hostilities in the Med.

In game terms, I think it would knock out the majority of the balance concerns.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:53 pm

I think I'm in agreement with you here. Italy declared in June, Taranto didn't even happen until November. It's kind of strange to have the UK destroy the Italian navy before Italy's September attack into Egypt, or for the Brits to trash everything in Tobruk before Italy can do a thing. Italy should be opening the major hostilities in the Med.
Its like some reverse Pearl Harbor where UK makes a sneak attack on Italy as a preemptive move BEFORE Italy has even a chance to get started.

It is no different than Having US play before Japan and attack the Japanese fleet in Tokyo before Japan does anything.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Noll

Post by Noll » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Also, even though almost half of the Regia Marina was damaged during the Taranto raid (and then repaired, all but a battleship), the Italian navy kept a strong presence in the medi during the war.

In this game, a good UK player will sink 80% of the Italian navy presence on UK1. That's a bit lame, but I guess it's within the balance of the game, and I'm just a player, not the developer.

I guess the medi is too one-sided in this game, maybe 'cause it's so small in term of seazones.

On a note: I want the MAS for the Italian Navy! :P They sinked 265.000t of navies!