Alpha +3

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
questioneer

Re: Alpha +3

Post by questioneer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:38 am

Kobu wrote:What I think I like so far:

1. Mongolia entering the war. I'm glad those printed inf numbers will get some use finally. I would though ease the restrictions for how they enter. It's too easy for Japan to circumvent. At the same time, I would give Japan something. Mongolia feels threatened and joins Japan when Allied forces enter China or Korea.

2. Paris NO. It's something to help steer the US towards Europe. It's probably not enough though. The wording needs to be changed to "at least one".

3. German sub interdiction. It's been needed as a standard rule.

1. Odd rule to me, I also think something like this needs to be adjusted. Japan needs some protection out of it also.

2. Exactly how I feel- I like the Paris NO for US and UK but I don't think its enough. I know Larry doesn't want to do this, but the Mexican NO also should go- that would give the US urgency to get the Phil or Paris NO.

3. This rule is nice to have, but in practice I need to see it taken advantage of. It hard enough to get German subs safely into these Atlantic convoy zones.

4. The AA gun rule that makes the unit available for a causualty is an advantage for the Allies than for the Axis. Its like some of your infantry getting extra hits like ACs or BBs

5. Italian DD and TT are now moved to z96- easy cannon fodder for Britain??? Now I have essentially given them 2 of my ships and all Italy gets in return is a lousy Strat Bomber???

6. I do think the SBR changes are easier and promote SBRs more if that be even a little- nice touch.

With all due respect Larry, I'm sorry but I don't see how most of these changes help the Axis who I thought we clearly established need the most help. Allies have just been made stronger. Frankly, I'm not very impressed overall. Larry, please explain these changes, especailly the AAgun thing (very strange and not really needed IMHO).

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:40 am

Kobu wrote:So I started my Alpha+3 game against my old adversary, allldescends. We are about matched in skill with me having more experience in G1940. With Germany's opening, there's no way I'm risking planes to Paris. That means I've forgone any thought of attacks on W. or S. France and committed all planes to attacking UK sea units. Paris has an extra defender so there's a better chance of bouncing here with only bringing in ground units. Italy will need to finish off much more often than in previous versions. I can't see this changing much in the future, so Germany openings are going to be much more limited in options.

Sealion is right out. England has 4 more defenders and US and Russia join the war if I succeed. The only way to win is to not play the game. Boo on this. I still have to build naval units to keep the shores defended and not let UK go all out in Africa and the Med. However, if I were the UK, I would probably invite the capture of England by doing just that. I'll have to just choke England with subs.

I have to say I am not too pleased with the changes from Germany's first turn perspective.
Most games we play very little (if any) air units go into the Paris fight. I know its risky (will most likely lose more ground units), but we normally use max air in the navy battle. The extra French causality (AA gun) will sway that battle a bit.

The 4 UK AA guns that could be used as casualties in a Sea lion attempt is a pretty big deal. After they fire in the first round, they could be expendable. I say could be depending on if it will take a multi-turn attack to level London. If your going to lose it in the first attempt there is no reason to keep them once they fire in the opening. If you miss calculate, or lucky dice allows you to keep London, then the second German attempt would be w/o air cover. So its interesting to say the least.

Russia able to jump in early if London falls is the second nail in the Sea lion coffin (your right). You can't drop London in G3, because Russia will kick your A$$ on R3 (instead of giving the Germans one turn to prepare for the R4 attack. I guess Larry wanted more of a historical feel here, with a squeeze placed on the UK.
Last edited by WILD BILL on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:45 am

Imperious leader wrote:Italy did.
Essentially give up a DD and a TT to the Brits in z96 for a Strat Bmr is NOT improvement.

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:53 am

Larry and Kevin

In Alpha +2, Germany had 3 tactical bombers in W. Germany. For Alpha +3 it shows only 2 tactical bombers in W. Germany. Was this on purpose or an oversight? It wasn't highlighted in red as a change so that is why I ask.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:59 am

questioneer wrote:
Imperious leader wrote:Italy did.
Essentially give up a DD and a TT to the Brits in z96 for a Strat Bmr is NOT improvement.
Yea the last few games we have played, UK pulls all its resources to sz 92 w/o attacking the Italian navy. UK can still do that, at the expense of the Italian dd/tpt in sz 96 w/air power, then NCM to sz 92 (no longer blocked by sz 96). Could cost UK a plane though.

I will say though that sz 95 seems to be safe, and the only other option for the UK is to attack sz 97 in a Taranto raid. Not exactly historical because they would be using navy w/air power, but it would leave much of the Italian navy in tact, and the UK would be left in a compromising position IMO.
Last edited by WILD BILL on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:01 am

SirEdward wrote:
I like the italian DD in 96, I hope it will solve the UK mega-stack in 92 somehow, thus making the US in the Atlantic more needed.

That's the problem, it won't . Britain can attack with planes, clear the zone and NonCombat the ships into z92. So essentially you have given Britain a free Italian DD and TT in return for a Strat Bmr- ridiculous.

And with 4 AAguns on UK, Sealion is a little tougher.

So the Brits are stronger in Sealion AND in the Med- doesn't make sense.

Axis needs more help- I don't get these changes- very strange. :? :? :?

edfactor

Post by edfactor » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:03 am

questioneer wrote:AA gun change with Italian bomber exchange, z96 blocking z92 move for Brits/or splitting Brit Med navy up, German 3damage convoy with subs...

Seems to keep Sealion numbers the same...gotta run the numbers and possibilities still though. At first glance I would say slightly more Brit advantage now yet it seems Italians can secure the Med more with the Strat Bmr and z96 block/detour of Brit Med navy...hmmm....interesting... :?

He's basicly outlawed sealion because Russia gets to attack you if you take London. also if the Brits really want to hold London they can take AA guns (4 of them) as casualties.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:17 am

edfactor wrote:
questioneer wrote:AA gun change with Italian bomber exchange, z96 blocking z92 move for Brits/or splitting Brit Med navy up, German 3damage convoy with subs...

Seems to keep Sealion numbers the same...gotta run the numbers and possibilities still though. At first glance I would say slightly more Brit advantage now yet it seems Italians can secure the Med more with the Strat Bmr and z96 block/detour of Brit Med navy...hmmm....interesting... :?

He's basicly outlawed sealion because Russia gets to attack you if you take London. also if the Brits really want to hold London they can take AA guns (4 of them) as casualties.
That's how I saw it too w/these changes. Now if UK seems to make a rookie mistake early you may not be able to take advantage because its probably a sacrifice to pull the strings off the neutral powers. You might be able to pull it off (G2-G3), but man your going to be facing a lot of fire power much earlier. Maybe you can pull a G4 SL and prepare defense for the Russian front, but either way its a tough road that will probably hand the game to the allies.

I will say that a game w/o a Sea lion attempt keeps it historical, maybe that's what Larry is looking for. I will play it out a few times though first to see how it feels. Could be something we're missing here w/big picture.