Alpha +3

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Gargantua

Re: Alpha +3

Post by Gargantua » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:51 pm

It's making up for the INEPT leadership of the soviets at the beginning of the war! I swear! :P

You tell em G-Man

Builder_Chris

Post by Builder_Chris » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 pm

see. learn something new every day.

still. i think the russians (in the game) are plenty strong on their own. all they need to be able to do is tuck and roll till the US and UK put enough presure on germany and italy for them to be able to go on the offensive. most times (in our group games) the russians dont even NEED those 18 infantry way out north by japan to hold on against the germans and italians.

again, i personally dont see them as being too weak...in the game...not comparing them to "the real rusians"...of course.
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!

Builder_Chris

Post by Builder_Chris » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:57 pm

by the way...how come i have not seen any comments about italy being moved up the turn order just below the UK and just before ANZAC?

i didnt think i was the only wimp crying for the italians to go before the UK. was i ?
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!

Gargantua

Post by Gargantua » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:17 pm

The problem across the board and in relation to "History" is unit quality.

Yes, Russian Infantry were better equipped for example. But they didn't want to fight, so much as they wanted to live. Discipline early in the war was that of a ten year old. Compare that to the Germans, who didn't start to go AWOL until the end of the war.

In short. Axis and Allies gives us Tanks, for 6 IPC's we all get EXACTLY the same unit, with the same capabilities, and the same potential.

During the War, No Tank for anyone was precisely equal to anyone elses. And it's going to stay that way. Unless you changed a significant amount of major game components.

It's a war game, not the history channel.

On a personal note, nothing makes me happier, than rolling over superior amounts of Russians, with superior German tactics. As I find is often the case on the game board. You've got to convince the RED beast that you're coming in from every angle, put the pressure on, see what it gives up, and where it cracks, then you go for the THROAT.

That's what this game is all about.

edfactor

Post by edfactor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Imperious leader wrote:
When did the Russians (in the real war) go on the offensive? Or maybe I should say when did they Russians go on the "counter offensive"? Not till late in the war...correct?.
No they launched their first offensive on Dec 5th 1941. They dropped paratroopers and pushed the Germans away from Moscow.

The composition of forces is not even close to balanced given the capabilities of the Soviet Army. It lacks in everything sake infantry and the ratio of so many infantry makes them seem like they are nothing but a glorified strict neutral.

Bite me...
Hey don't forget that was also the first time T-34's were used in significant numbers. Nasty tank, and there were thousands of them. (First tank with sloped armor - which was genius btw)

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:42 pm

The Soviets had the largest air force and alot more tanks and artillery than Germany. Because Germany had more advanced tactics and employed their forces better does not mean the Soviets were weak. If they were weak they would have lost the war in 1941. The Soviets could have some setup restrictions to not move border forces which could contain alot of the good units. Germany could just wipe them out on the first turn of invasion as it would still look Historical and be fun.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

edfactor

Post by edfactor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Imperious leader wrote:. . . and be fun.
The most important point!

Kobu

Post by Kobu » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:15 pm

Builder_Chris wrote:by the way...how come i have not seen any comments about italy being moved up the turn order just below the UK and just before ANZAC?

i didnt think i was the only wimp crying for the italians to go before the UK. was i ?
:lol:

They ought to, but it looks like lack of time to test that out killed the proposal.