Questions for Larry

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
questioneer

Questions for Larry

Post by questioneer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Hey Larry,

Our group is gonna be playing on this coming Sunday and next Sunday- Labor Day Weekend. I was wondering what the current status of Alpha+3 is. Is there a timeframe as to when A3 will be done??? Details???

I understand if you wanna keep things on the down low, so my main concern is whether you are still seriously considering the VC-reduction idea WILD BILL came up with a while ago. I am curious because I'm considering playing the variation I came up with on these days. However, if you are going in a different direction then I won't bother and just play Alpha+2.

Thanks,

My variation of changes below:

Victory City Capture Bonus: A power controlling an original enemy territory which contains a Victory City is awarded a 5 IPC bonus during the Collect Income phase of that turn.
Victory City Liberation Bonus: A power that liberates an allied Victory City (can include your own) is awarded a one time 5 IPC bonus during the Collect Income phase of that turn.

National Objectives (Global Only)
Germany
When Germany is not at War with the Soviet Union
1. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for not being at war with the Soviet Union. Theme: Wheat & Oil trade with Russia

When Germany is at War with the Soviet Union
2. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for EACH of the following territories, Novgorod (Leningrad), Volgograd (Stalingrad), and/or Russia (Moscow) controlled by the Axis. Theme: High strategic and propaganda value- DELETED
3. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if Germany controls Caucasus. Theme: Access and control of vital Russian Oil production.

When Germany is at War with the European Allies
4. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if there is at least one German land unit in an Axis controlled Egypt. Theme: Gateway to the Middle-East Oil fields (high propaganda value).
5. Collect 5 IPC per turn if Germany controls both Denmark and Norway while Sweden is not pro-Allies or Allied-controlled. Theme: Access to Iron Ore and other strategic resources.
6. Collect 5 IPCs per turn that Germany controls the United Kingdom. Theme: High national prestige- DELETED
7. Collect 2 IPCs per turn for each of the following three territories that Germany controls: Iraq, Persia and Northwest Persia. Theme: Access to strategic oil reserves.

Soviet Union
When the Soviet Union is at War in Europe
1. Collect 3 IPCs per turn for each original Non-VC German territory the Soviet Union controls. Theme: Propaganda value.
2. Collect 5 IPCs if the convoy in sea zone 125 is free of Axis Warships. Archangel is controlled by the Soviet Union, and there are no units belonging to any other Allied powers present in any territories originally controlled by the Soviet Union. Theme: National prestige and access to Allied lend lease material.
3. Collect 10 IPCs, once, for Soviet capture of Berlin (Germany). Theme: National prestige.- DELETED

When the Soviet Union becomes at War with Japan
4. Collect 12 IPCs, once, at the beginning of the turn following an unprovoked declaration of war by Japan on the Soviet Union. Theme: Recognized national emergency.

Japan
When Japan is NOT at War with the United States
1. Collect 5 IPCs each turn that Japan is not at war with the United States and has not attacked French Indo-China and has not made an unprovoked declaration of war against United Kingdom/ANZAC. Theme: Strategic resource trade with the United States.

When Japan becomes at War with the Soviet Union
2. Collect 12 IPCs, once, at the beginning of the turn following an unprovoked declaration of war by the Soviet Union on Japan. Theme: Recognized national emergency.

When Japan is at War with the Western Allies
3. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if Axis controls 5 of the 7 following islands. Midway, Wake, Marianas, Iwo Jima, Carolines, Solomon Islands and Guam. Theme: Strategic outer defense perimeter.
4. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for each of the following major power centers controlled by an Axis power – Honolulu, Sydney, Calcutta, and/or the Western United States. Theme: Strategic national objectives.- DELETED
5. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for Axis control of all of the following territories: Sumatra, Java, Borneo and Celebes. Theme: Strategic resource centers.- DELETED

United Kingdom (The following NOs are only awarded to London)
When the United Kingdom is at War with German/Italy
1. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if there are no German submarines on the Europe map with the following exceptions: The Baltic Sea (113 -114 -115). The Black Sea (100) and of course the Caspian Sea. Theme: Being an island nation the UK gains a strategic advantage with low German submarine activities directed against its merchant fleet.
2. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if the United Kingdom controls all of its original territories in the Americas, Africa, the Middle East and Europe. Theme: Maintenance of the empire considered vital national objective.

When the United Kingdom is at War with Japan
(The following NO is awarded only to Calcutta)
3. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if the United Kingdom controls all of its original territories on the Pacific map. This also includes West India (actually located on the Europe map) and excludes the two Canadian territories (Yukon territory & British Columbia) located on the Pacific map, Which are owned and controlled by London not Calcutta. Theme: Maintenance of the empire considered vital national objective.

ANZAC
When ANZAC is at War with Japan
1. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if the Allies (Not including the Dutch) control Dutch New Guinea, New Guinea, New Britain and the Solomon Islands. Theme: Strategic outer defense perimeter
2. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if the Allied powers control Malaya and ANZAC controls all of its original territories. Theme: Malaya considered strategic cornerstone to Far East British Empire.

Italy
When Italy is at War
1. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if Axis powers control 3 of these 4 territories: MALTA, Southern France, Greece, Gibraltar. Theme: Stated national objectives – Greater Roman empire.
2. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if there are no Allied surface warships in the Mediterranean Sea (sea zones 92 through 99). Theme: Propaganda and strategic advantage.
3. Collect 5 IPCs if Axis powers control all of the following North African territories:
Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Tobruk, Alexandria. Theme: Stated North African military objectives.
4. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if Italy controls Caucasus. Theme: Access and control of vital Russian Oil production.
5. Collect 2 IPCs per turn for each of the following three territories Italy controls: Iraq, Persia and Northwest Persia. Theme: Access to strategic oil reserves.

United States
When at War
1. Collect 15 IPCs per turn for complete control of the continental US (WUS, CUS, EUS). Theme: Basic national sovereignty.
2. Collect 5 IPC per turn if the Allies control 5 of the 7 following islands. Midway, Wake, Marianas, Iwo Jima, Caroline, Solomon Islands and Guam. Theme: Islands considered to be vital strategic forward bases.
3. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling the Philippines. Theme: Center of American influence in Asia.- DELETED
4. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling Hawaii, Alaska, the Aleutian Islands, Line Islands, and Johnston Island. Theme National sovereignty issues.
5. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling, Mexico, Southern Mexico, Central America (Panama) and the West indies. Theme: Defense treaty & trade obligations.- DELETED
5.(Replacement) Collect 5 IPCs per turn if there is at least one US and one UK land unit on Normandy. Theme: Beachhead on Europe- establishing a 2nd Front

China
Collects 6 IPCs per turn if the Burma Road is totally open. The Allies must control India, Burma, Yunnan and Szechwan for this to occur. China is also permitted to purchase artillery (represented by US pieces) if the Burma Road is open. Theme: Chinese military supply line corridor

France
When France is at War
Troop Bonus: When the territory of France is liberated, for the first time only, the player controlling this territory immediately places up to 12 IPCs worth of any units on the territory of France. Theme: National liberation & national prestige.

***Could possibly add the 7VC rule-Moscow and/or the German convoy rule at -3. May also add the "all China" bonus for Japan for a one-time 6IPC reward.

questioneer

Re: Questions for Larry

Post by questioneer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Larry??? Hello??? Man, you are sure doing a good job of saying nothing. Is it really that top secret???- geeez. :? :? :?

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Looks like he give you the Silent Treatment, since you have been a bad boy

Kaufschtick

Post by Kaufschtick » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:48 pm

It's the Cone of Silence.
Young, Rodger W., Private, 148th Infantry, 37th Infantry Division; born Tiffin, Ohio, 28 April 1918; died 31 July 1943, on the island of New Georgia, Solomons, South Pacific, while singlehandedly attacking and destroying an enemy machine-gun pillbox.

thatonekid

Post by thatonekid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:25 pm

im sure alpha 3 will come out when its good and ready too, but, like all others, im slightly impatient as well....

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:07 pm

I know, right??? :(

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:11 am

I’m going to try to help you out Questioneer

I think Wild Bill’s VC-reduction idea is very interesting. He put it a little clearer than you did – in his own words:
VC Capture Bonus of 5 IPCs to the power that captures a tt containing a VC. This would be any VC that starts the game on an original tt of your enemy (not VCs that you start with in your orig tt's). This would be a multi-round bonus that you collect as long as you hold on to the VC tt (including a re-capture). Keep in mind that Shanghai is an orig Chinese tt, so Japan would start with this capture bonus J1 collect income phase.

VC Liberation Bonus, any time that you liberate a VC from the enemy you get a 5 IPC bonus that round. This would be for your VC tt, or one of your allies. You could get this lib bonus multiple times for the same VC if it is traded.

As I understand it this would mean that Germany would probably receive a 5 IPC bonus for Paris at the end of its 1st turn. That Japan would receive a 5 IPC bonus for Shanghai. Hong Kong and Manila would follow shortly. The Allies don’t seem to have any or certainly few easy grabs when it comes to capturing or liberating VCs. I think this would lead to some 20 to 30 additional Axis IPCs for some greater number of turns that they don’t receive now. I’m not going to introduce this new income to one side (especially the Axis) at this time.

As for reduction of the number of NOs... This proposed system does not end up getting rid of a lot of NOs. It looks like the Axis lose about 3 NOs and the Allies lose 1. I’m in no mood to introduce this change in order to get rid of 4 NOs ( I think you deleted some unrelated NOs below).

I'm about ready to post Alpha+ 3. Probably next week. If I find myself without electricity for 4 or 5 days, as some are predicting, I'll be a bit longer posting it.

Larry

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:42 am

How bout just having the VC as NO's minus the capitals, which makes 12 here:

VC Cities:

Warsaw
Leningrad
Stalingrad
Cairo
Honolulu
San Francisco
Sydney
Manila
Ottawa
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Calcutta

and adding 6 NO's that are axis only for a total of 18?

The 6:
1. Scandinavian Iron Ore Resources: Note: control of Finland and Norway only

2. Romanian oil fields:

3. Persian oil fields: OOB

4. Italian National Prestige: If Italy maintains control of at least one area in Africa, the Italian players gains 5 IPC each turn.

5. Dutch oil fields: OOB, except Celebes is not on list ( it had no oil)

6. Caucasus Oil fields: OOB

Please reduce the total NO events back to under 20.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.