Tanks in AA1940

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
mantlefan

Re: Tanks in AA1940

Post by mantlefan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 pm

Seldom are so many people so adamant against a rule change. Thanks for working to make the game better but this change doesn't help anything as many people here and at the link above have stated.

The fact that IL supports it should be a big hint that it's overly complicated and adds little tangible benefit.

Well you're right about some of this...
LH-a
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:50 pm

The fact that IL supports it should be a big hint that it's overly complicated and adds little tangible benefit.
I was the first one to declare it is bad idea. Don't comment unless you read posts first. I guess you like to make jokes?

Hey IL... I love you man. Let's hear a round of applause for IL. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
LH-o
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:07 am

So now I'm responsible for the fact that you can't use written English properly?
No just reading all the posts before saying stupid things.

Here is one such post long before Larry's declaration: ( in this thread BTW, not another site!)

Post subject: Re: Tanks in AA1940
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Quote:
Six IPCs for a 3/2 tank will probably be the end of tanks as we know them. Few will be purchased. It's the Mechs I'm worried about.

It is the mech that needs to be stronger rather than to make the tank weaker to balance them out.

Mechs should be 2-2-2-4 with no boost from artillery and the ability to blitz alone.

Also Tanks are the king of the land units. They don't get boosted by lesser units, but the other way around. Lesser units that cant benefit from armor plating or mobility should get boosted by tanks.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Striker

Post by Striker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:55 am

Heavily, heavily disagree with 3-2-2-6 tanks. No one bought them when 3/2 tanks were priced at 5 points. This nerf is not needed. If anything it costs slightly too much to get a tank force going.

There is also the issue that this would hurt germany more then anyone else so balance would need to be reexamined, just when it was getting so close.

Also it's a needles addition to combined arms rules. There is enough as it is, the 1940 games already have a more then long enough gamelength and this just adds one more thing to keep track of.

This rule change would create new problems without fixing any. What was this trying to accomplish again? I don't think anyone was saying tanks were overpowered right now. I think i heard that this was supposed to encourage more purchases of mech infantry but this is the wrong way to go about it.(buff mech infantry if that is what you want.)

I appreciate that you are looking at improving the game but this is one case when most of your player base is shouting "NO!"

Comments noted :wink:
I give up... I give up... Don't shoot!
LH-o

mantlefan

Post by mantlefan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 am

It might be easy to say "If you don't want a giant infantry stack turtlefest, don't buy so many infantry," but unfortunately with this rule, there's really not much of an option if you are at all playing to win even a little bit. Destroying the effectiveness of the mobile units destroys the potential of a dynamic game. Don't let AA1940 degenerate into an infantry swarm game just because so many of the other versions did.

mantlefan

Post by mantlefan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:42 am

I think what worried me the most was it was written as though you had decided, not that it was up for consideration. I think a reasonable person like yourself might admit that when public opinion is THAT much against something, a poll might be a good thing to see how drastically it was opposed, especially when those voting are voting against something that (even if you did not intend it) was written to be set in stone. In such cases I think you might agree that it would be reasonable for us to think that we need every possible reason for you to change your mind, including public opinion, even if it isn't worth much.

I understand perfectly what you mean. My final word on "poll" is... they have their place but in this case what we needed was some clearly expressed logical arguments as to why this was a bad idea. As for whether or not I had decided to go that way... well yes I did. I did for several reasons. It was a mistake.
LH-u

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:43 am

Wow, this tank change really blew up fast and got everyone's blood boiling. :twisted: I wasn't a fan of it, but I didn't have any constructive criticism that others hadn't already said.

As a side note to you Larry, if you have any other changes to drop out of the blue like this tank change, save it for April 1. At least if you do it on that day it will be easier for everyone to have a laugh over it. :lol:

Dave

I thought it was April 1st... What are you telling me. I should get out more.
LH-a

SgtBlitz

Post by SgtBlitz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:44 am

Yea, common sense prevails! WE WIN! (Or did we?..)

Does this mean you're not tossing your games into the dumpster?
"WE WIN" OMG... somebody stop me... I can't take it anymore. The game won not we and especially not you... don't you get it man? Now go back over to your little corner of the world and have a celebration... We won! We won! We won! :roll:

Oh and by the way ... give my regards to Shakespeare when you get back. Tell him I really dig his cool sunglasses and that's no joke (yes it is).
LH-e