Tanks in AA1940

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Imperious leader

Re: Tanks in AA1940

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:23 pm

While "tactical bomber" is a modern term, it more accurate describes the mission of the aircraft, as is evidenced by its eventual adoption. It was decided that this term would be less confusing to players than the more historically accurate "fighter-bomber". Calling it a fighter-bomber would just confuse the unit's role with that of a fighter.
names of units are not derivative of their mission statements, but an indication of what whey are and all the other units have correct names in terms of the nomenclature of the day. This is not the case with so called "tactical bombers"

Fighter-Bomber could not confuse anybody, it is perfectly understandable as a hybrid of both planes, which it is.

Bomber could also be called Strategic Bomber to give some distance, but when i hear this tactical bomber name, i think AA went in a time machine and let players have 1980's aerospace technology
How fast would Russia crumble?

Mechs would gain a +1 when paired with armor, but would lose the +1 when paired with artillery. I think this would pretty much be a wash.

The tank giving +1 to the TAC bomber is a little puzzling, but I think it is suppossed to represent some type of spotters with the tank units. I think taking that away would be fine as well.
No the Fighter-Bomber gives the tank a +1, Mech is closer to tanks and not infantry, they don't get boosted by artillery, but should be boosted by tanks +1

Artillery can still boost infantry...just plain infantry.
Fighters give a plus one to TAC's
Tanks give a plus one to Mech
Artillery give a plus one to Infantry

I don't see how this would hurt Russia at all.
yes thats better, each unit is somewhat chained together for combined arms bonuses and tanks got left out of the loop.

This is a mistake. Each unit should have some effect to one other unit.
Another question is combined arms gives a +1 to the attack of units, but why are there no combined arms giving a +1 to the defending units?
Due to the 1-2 infantry, you may mess with the game if you started down this road. I do agree that some units could have this bonus.

Id like to see Mech get a +1 defense if paired with tank, Mechs should be a 2-3-2-5 unit
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Welcome, Häretiker!
Häretiker wrote:@Krieghund (why its not KriegShund btw?)
Why the costs of tanks were increased to 6?
My screen name was originally derived from a character in a book. The author spelled it that way, so I do as well. I thought it might make me unique, but mostly it just makes people correct my spelling. :)

Tanks were increased to 6 for two reasons. The first was to better mesh with the 4 IPC cost for mechanized infantry, and the second was because they now support tactical bombers on attack. It was felt that tanks were almost too cheap at 5 IPCs before, and these factors pushed them over the edge.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:31 pm

No because Axis and Allies Europe original edition and Revised 2004 which are more or less broken with all tank buys and other land units were not being purchased.

Also, including the mech infantry unit needed separation from the tank in terms of its quality.
Tanks were increased to 6 for two reasons. The first was to better mesh with the 4 IPC cost for mechanized infantry, and the second was because they now support tactical bombers on attack. It was felt that tanks were almost too cheap at 5 IPCs before, and these factors pushed them over the edge.
So its not because or had anything to do with the experience in original AAE/AAR (e.g. "all German tank buys"?)
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Tanks may have been bought in disproportionate numbers, but I don't think any serious players ever bought "all tanks" for Germany. If they did, their opponents weren't doing their jobs. In my experience, for just about every person who says tanks are too cheap at 5 IPCs, you can find another who says they're too expensive at 6.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Häretiker

Post by Häretiker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Thx for the explanation, I presumed something like that.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:46 am

Tanks may have been bought in disproportionate numbers, but I don't think any serious players ever bought "all tanks" for Germany. If they did, their opponents weren't doing their jobs. In my experience, for just about every person who says tanks are too cheap at 5 IPCs, you can find another who says they're too expensive at 6.
In AAE that game was effectively broken due to the fact that Germany can buy all infantry on G1 and invade Leningrad and on G2 and G3+ just buy all tanks and Russia can't do anything. I cant even play that game anymore.

People who say the tank is too expensive are the same people who employ the all tank buys because it defeats them. The people who say they are too cheap are playing the allies on the losing end.

This is one of the reasons why original AAE is not really being played anymore long before AAG40 came out. But they still play AAP and we both know most people favor a European themed game.

Sgt. Wonko

Post by Sgt. Wonko » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:10 pm

I like the idea that a tank boosts mech infantry +1 on attack. I think it would still be OK to keep a boost from artillery as well but have the max. attack for mech infantry be capped at 2.

Another idea would be to have mech infantry give a +1 movement bonus to artillery to simulate the mech towing artillery into battle. When paired with a tank, the mech and artillery could blitz as well.

Combining both of these ideas might make mech infantry to powerful. I'd still like to see more mech infantry used in the game though.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Mech should either be a 2-3-2-5 unit with no bonus, or a 2-2-2-4 unit with a bonus by tank.

The only boosts with units should be these:

Fighter-Bomber boost tank +1 ( not the other way around thats ridiculous)
Tank boost Mech +1 on defense ( also mech can blitz on its own but then costs 5)
Mech boost Artillery +1 movement

Artillery fires @ 3 1st round then all other rounds @ 2 and does not boost anything. If in that first round they roll a 1 result the enemy unit is destroyed and can't fight back.

Infantry can be boosted by tanks +1

Also Fighter-bombers fight always at 4 unless enemy Fighters are present. Once they are destroyed the combat value goes back to 4.

Summary:

Tanks: 3-3-2-6
Mech: 2-2-2-4 or 2-3-2-5
Artillery 3(2)-2-1-4