Official Rules Clarifications

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Krieghund

Re: Official Rules Clarifications

Post by Krieghund » Wed May 16, 2012 5:12 pm

waxfingers wrote:I have another retreat question.

The situation is land units are boarded onto transports bridging an amphibious assault (so no movement of the transports) and there is a sea battle.
This would only be possible if the attacker has declared war on the the defender(s) during the current turn, as transports may not normally be loaded in a hostile sea zone.

Note also that "bridging" can't be done using an ally's transport. You must load and offload on different turns.
waxfingers wrote:For example: it is Italy's turn; there is a Russian destroyer in z100 and Italy is assaulting a Russian territory from a German transport with the aid of a fighter to kill the destroyer. The fighter dies, however, so the destroyer thwarts the invasion.

Is the amphibious assault just called off and the transport 'retreats' within the same sea zone?
The amphibious assault may not proceed. In your example, the transport doesn't have to retreat, as it was not involved in the battle (being German).

If an Italian transport were being used, it could not retreat unless it had moved out of the sea zone and then back in to establish a retreat route. If it had not done so, it would be unable to retreat and would be destroyed.
waxfingers wrote:Also the units cannot be unloaded during non combat movement, or could they be?
They cannot.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Coorran

Post by Coorran » Fri May 25, 2012 8:48 pm

I couldn't find an answer to this elsewhere:

I have a Russian tank or Mech Infantry in Caucasus, along with an Infantry.

Can I use the Infantry to activate Northwest Persia, and then use the tank or mech infantry to take Persia.

I would say yes, since NW Persia is already activated when the tank moves into it.

My understanding is that the tank alone could not "blitz" through both territories, but this is different.

Thanks!

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Sat May 26, 2012 6:12 am

Coorran wrote:I couldn't find an answer to this elsewhere:

I have a Russian tank or Mech Infantry in Caucasus, along with an Infantry.

Can I use the Infantry to activate Northwest Persia, and then use the tank or mech infantry to take Persia.

I would say yes, since NW Persia is already activated when the tank moves into it.

My understanding is that the tank alone could not "blitz" through both territories, but this is different.

Thanks!
a) All movement is simultaneous, so that the territory is not 'already' anything, and

b) I seem to recall that units must halt in territories they are converting to their side...

My guess is therefore that, no, you can't do that.
Caractacus.

waxfingers

Post by waxfingers » Sat May 26, 2012 7:10 am

When the US is attacked for the first time, say by Italy, then do the Minor ICs upgrade right then automatically during the Italian attack, or are they upgraded at the start of the next US turn.

Coorran

Post by Coorran » Sat May 26, 2012 7:44 am

It is upgraded when the US goes at war. That happens at the start of the US turn, in the situation you describe.

Noll

Post by Noll » Sat May 26, 2012 12:51 pm

UK scramfle 3fighters in seazone 109.

During the same turn UK loses London territory.

Can the 3fighters then lands in Scotland?

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun May 27, 2012 8:54 am

waxfingers wrote:When the US is attacked for the first time, say by Italy, then do the Minor ICs upgrade right then automatically during the Italian attack, or are they upgraded at the start of the next US turn.
The ICs are upgraded immediately upon the US' entry into a state of war. In this case, Italy must declare war on the US before attacking, so they are upgraded when Italy declares war.
Noll wrote:UK scramfle 3fighters in seazone 109.

During the same turn UK loses London territory.

Can the 3fighters then lands in Scotland?
Yes, assuming UK still controls Scotland.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun May 27, 2012 3:14 pm

State of the situation:

Russia at war with Euro-Axis.
US at war with all Axis powers.
Russia and Japan are still honoring their NAP.

So, the details:
US takes control of Korea. Since the US and Russia are at both at war with the Euro-Axis, Russia moves its 18 far east units into US controlled Korea. Now, Japan wants to attack Korea.
My interpretation of the rules is that the Russian troops would be "bystandards" and not involved in the defense of Korea. However, if Japan would win the battle, Russian troops would then be present in a Japanese held territory. That would result in a violation of the NAP.

Krieghund, can you help me sort this out. Something about this reasoning just isn't right. I did read the text for the NAP and I didn't see anything in it that states the Soviets can not enter originally held Japanese territories if one of there Allies were to take control of it.