Theory Crafting For Alpha.+3

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
aaron91
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Re: Theory Crafting For Alpha.+3

Post by aaron91 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:49 pm

What if you made it so that if you take the extra movement from a naval base you can't commit an amphibious assault with those units that turn?

mantlefan
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Theory Crafting For Alpha.+3

Post by mantlefan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 pm

aaron91 wrote:What if you made it so that if you take the extra movement from a naval base you can't commit an amphibious assault with those units that turn?
That might work, but it still harms the UK in London more than it helps Japan IMO. I like the idea where you can still attack if you want, but your troops fight worse if it's done long range. How about a fusion?

Land units unloading into a enemy territory from transports that have moved 3 spaces that turn have their attack value reduced by 1 for the first round of combat. Land units (including Anti-Aircraft guns) that are defending in an amphibious assault have their defense values increased by 1 for the first round of combat, as long as at least one of the Transports unloading into the territory has moved 3 spaces that turn
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles

User avatar
JamesAleman
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Theory Crafting For Alpha.+3

Post by JamesAleman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Regarding the one turn move to Japan:

If Japan doesn't want America to invade Japan from Hawaii, what stops them from placing a blocking destroyer in sea zone 16 or 25? Combine this with one in sea zone 6 (Japan) and the allies can not even non combat into 6 after clearing 16 or 25....if they send air to kill the destroyer in 6, you can scramble. This makes attacking Japan a two turn action from Hawaii.

Using destroyers to block is perhaps their most valuable use in game. Its why I always produce one for either Japan or US each time I build navy. Often, the enemy does not attack the blocking DD because they don't want to expose a piece to a counter attack.

mantlefan
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Theory Crafting For Alpha.+3

Post by mantlefan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:42 am

JamesAleman wrote:Regarding the one turn move to Japan:

If Japan doesn't want America to invade Japan from Hawaii, what stops them from placing a blocking destroyer in sea zone 16 or 25?
Because this is annoying, not fun, adds an extra battle every turn, and if the USA want they can just build a Naval base on Midway and then Japan is in trouble.

But yeah, it does work for a while.
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles

Caractacus
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:18 am
Location: Turku, Finland

Re: Theory Crafting For Alpha.+3

Post by Caractacus » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:45 pm

JamesAleman wrote:Using destroyers to block is perhaps their most valuable use in game. Its why I always produce one for either Japan or US each time I build navy. Often, the enemy does not attack the blocking DD because they don't want to expose a piece to a counter attack.
Then I would use a Bomber or two to do it. No pieces left in the space to counter-attack...
Caractacus.

mantlefan
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Theory Crafting For Alpha.+3

Post by mantlefan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Caractacus wrote:
JamesAleman wrote:Using destroyers to block is perhaps their most valuable use in game. Its why I always produce one for either Japan or US each time I build navy. Often, the enemy does not attack the blocking DD because they don't want to expose a piece to a counter attack.
Then I would use a Bomber or two to do it. No pieces left in the space to counter-attack...
Actually all you need is a sub and a few planes.
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles

Caractacus
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:18 am
Location: Turku, Finland

Re: Theory Crafting For Alpha.+3

Post by Caractacus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:59 am

mantlefan wrote:
Caractacus wrote:
JamesAleman wrote:Using destroyers to block is perhaps their most valuable use in game. Its why I always produce one for either Japan or US each time I build navy. Often, the enemy does not attack the blocking DD because they don't want to expose a piece to a counter attack.
Then I would use a Bomber or two to do it. No pieces left in the space to counter-attack...
Actually all you need is a sub and a few planes.
Your point being that a sub loss is less than a plane loss, so the sub is a 'buffer', right? Except that if you are lucky, the sub survives and is then attacked by the replacement destroyer the following turn. Mind you, it costs fractionally less, so I suppose that's a gradual benefit.
Caractacus.

conroy
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Theory Crafting For Alpha.+3

Post by conroy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:23 pm

In regards to the one turn move from hawaii to japan, I would like to see a rule i thought made alot of sense since i first played pacific. Japan took all the islands to keep a strategic perimeter. theyre strategic because they have air bases. so my vote is to have planes on islands with an airbase be able to block movement through the surrounding sea zone to provide that perimeter.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests