ALPHA +.2 THEORY CRAFTING THREAD

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Imperious leader

Re: ALPHA +.2 THEORY CRAFTING THREAD

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:44 pm

Yes we have the same point. I went to the start and reread, and must have inferred he was less inclined to allow this.

To me it makes no difference unless they changed it where Italy plays before UK.

And actually most people do agree with my points, though it usually takes time and usually they have some other idea to promulgate in front, which is fine since all good ideas don't necessarily make the cut.

I am not saying anything against this mantlefan guy and i am not clear why the word "argument" or "take offense" would be brought up, except to claim that the reference was misplaced. Sorry for the confusion. You did arrive at the same position as I had and for unknown reason i thought you were arguing the opposite point. SO i am sorry for that.

And thanks to WB for clearing it up!
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 am

Cool, now we just have to get Larry to agree. :mrgreen:

turner

Post by turner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 am

Eagle wrote:We want a Marines unit, or a Commandos unit.

It cost 4 IPC, attack at 1 and defend at 2 or less, like a regulare infantry.
It attack at 2 or less during amphibious assault, and is boosted to 3 when paired with an artillery.

It should have some special abilities.

- One Marine can travel with any surface warship.

- If a Marine has travelled with a cruiser or battleship, the shore bombard will boost the marines attack factor to 3, just like a matching artillery. Of course this is the first round only.
Just call it a special forces unit. I have some ideas for this.

1. You do not need a special piece for it. Instead at the beginnning of your turn you pay 5 IPCs to train the special units. For 5 IPC's you could train 2 inf.
2. Have different abilities they can be trained to perform, but they must be completed on the turn you train otherwise money is lost.
a. Airborne mission - 2 infantry are now airborne can be moved three spaces from an airbase to attack.
b. Sabatoge mission - 2 infantry can make a special first round attack against target enemy units. If the attack is successful the target units are disrupted for the battle. Perhaps could do damage to AB, NB and IC's as well. A successful attack to a facility causes 1 or 2 damage.
c. ? Insert other ideas here. (Banzai charge)

3. Special movement of these units. Can move two including 1 sea zone (example from UK to Normandy)

Any other ideas?

turner

Post by turner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:59 am

Another idea is to have the ability to retreat into a Siege in a territory containing a Victory City.

1. Limit 5 units can retreat into a siege.
a. The army that retreats into a siege can do so at the beginning of any combat round.
b. Extra units that cannot retreat into a siege must fight on as normal.
c. A beseiging army controls the territory containing the beseiged victory city and collects its income as normal, they do not however control the victory city.
d. The beseiging army must keep at least one unit in the territory for each unit under seige in the city.
2. All units are converted to infantry when they retreat into a siege.
3. Units under siege cannot breakout. They can only defend and defend at 3, but only when units are sent in to attack them.
4. The besieging army can do one of three things during combat phase during a siege.
a. Have a one round attack with planes and artillery. All hit on a one. For each hit a defending infantry is removed.
b. Send up to 5 infantry/tanks into the city to attack the beseiged units. During this battle all attacking units attack at 2 and all defending units attack at 3.
c. Allow attrition. At the end of the round 1 of the beseiged units is removed from play.
5. Each beseiged city that is successfully captured will give the attackers an immediate 5 IPC bonus.
6. If a beseiged city is relieved, the units that were under seige are removed from the game. If the relieving army wants to refit the units that were under seige they may during the collect income phase pay 2 ipc's per unit and place them in their capital. If the capital is in enemy hands they may not refit the units.

Any questions? Any comments?

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:33 am

Come to think about it, the current game is OK

turner

Post by turner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Eagle wrote:I want a new game order, with joined players. They have their own separate economy, but buy units simultanesly, move and attack together, place units and collect income at the same time, just like the UK Europe and UK Pacific players. They have separate economy, but move and fight together. I think this will speed up the game pace, ant prevent game fatigue.

1) USSR + France - buy, move, fight, place and collect at the same time.
2) Germany + Italy- buy, move, fight, place and collect at the same time.
3) UK + ANZAC- buy, move, fight, place and collect at the same time.
4) Japan
5) USA + China - buy, move, fight, place and collect at the same time

This is better than the All Axis then All allies move suggestion, or the current one and one moves, that is very time consuming.

Also I think UK Pacific and ANZAC should be one economy and one player, at least in the global game.
Has anyone ever tried having the buy phase at the beginning of the round with everyone buying units at the same time and then placing during each powers turn. I think the buy units phase may be the one that takes the longest in my games.

turner

Post by turner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:29 pm

I have said before that what is missing in the Japan-US and Germany-Russia situations is the element of surprise.

I think it would be cool if the first time Japan attacks the US or the first time Germany attacks Russia it is considered a surprise attack. This would allow the attacker to attack for one round with no defense dice being rolled. They could either retreat afterwards or continue as a regular attack starting in round 2.

I still don't like how the U.S. and Russia enter the war. I was trying to figure out a better way this weekend and it is hard to find something that feels right.
The problems I have with the current system are:

1. I don't believe the U.S. would have declared war without being provoked.
2. The U.S. usually enters the war before Russia.
3. An attack by Japan makes the U.S. at war with Germany.
4. An attack by Germany makes the U.S. at war with Japan.

What I think would be best:

1. The U.S. has a delay after an attack of 1 turn before they can declare war. This is because they were neutral and not really preparing for war.
2. The U.S. does not go to war in one theatre just because it has been attacked in another theatre. They did not declare war on Germany until Germany had declared war on them.
3. Some sort of trigger to allow the U.S. to go to war.
a. Certain territories being attacked or threatened (England, Scotland, India, etc.) What would be the right territories? Would the U.S. really go to war because Japan attacked Kwangtung? Solomon Islands? Burma? What would it take? If Germany had captured Moscow would the U.S. have even cared?
b. IPC level. The U.S. feels threatened by Germany, Italy or Japan getting too large. What would each level be. Japan 40? Italy 20? Germany 50? I don't know, what would be good?
c. Odds of U.S. going to war increase over time. Some sort of roll a die for
war support?
d. If x occurs may declare war on turn 3 otherwise on turn 4.
e. May only declare war on one power per turn. On turn 3 they can declare war who do they declare on Japan or Germany or Italy? One will be on turn 4 and one on turn 5. Also if they are attacked by Japan on turn 2 they can declare war on Japan on turn two but must wait until turn 3 for Germany.
4. U.S. collects at war bonuses only when at war in both theatres.

Anyone else not like the way this happens? Any other ideas, comments.

mantlefan

Post by mantlefan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:12 pm

turner wrote:Anyone else not like the way this happens? Any other ideas, comments.
I think the siege idea is way too incredibly complex. However, I do like the idea of a Sneak Attack, a la AA Pacific (the old one). I like the idea of that IF Japan attacks on their first turn, all non-chinese and non-Soviet allied units defend at 1.

At the same time, I would like to see the bonus for not provoking the US to go to 15-20 IPCs a turn.

At the same time, I would like to see the removal of 5-10 IPC's worth of US NO's if they declare war on the axis without provocation

A note for all reading this: These NO's cannot ALL benefit Japan. In fact the only way they can benefit from even two of them is with a J4 initial atack.

Additionally, the only one that need be added is the sneak attack one. It can be stipulated in one or two of the US NO's that the IPCs are only collected if the US was provoked into the war. Also, all that needs to be done for Japan's "peace" bonus is the number.
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles