ALPHA +.2 THEORY CRAFTING THREAD

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Darby

Re: ALPHA +.2 THEORY CRAFTING THREAD

Post by Darby » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:18 pm

While on the subject of Amphibious Assault:

I've always felt the notion of the Atlantic wall was missing how about:

Shore Defenses:
Cost 6
Works similar to an AA Gun in that in only fires during the first wave.
Hits on a 2 and fires 4 shots.
Can Never Move
Takes 2 turns to build (just lay the unit on its side the turn that is "under Construction")
Is destroyed when tt taken.
Can have up to the IC value of the tt that they defend per tt

and just thought of another "skill" for commandos:
50% chance to choose target when they hit

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Blockhouse - cost 5 IPC, roll two dice, defend on 2 or less, may stack, no movement.
Must be choosen as first casualties.
Can be placed in any territory with an IC.

RATIONALE:
1 Blockhouse defend with 2 + 2 and cost 5 IPC
2 Infantry defend with 2 + 2 and cost 6 IPC
2 Artillery defend with 2 + 2 and cost 8 IPC
Last edited by Eagle on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:23 pm

How about a block house cost 5 ipc's, and can be built on any tt, but can't be moved. A tt worth 1 ipc or less can build 1 block house. A tt worth 2 ipc can build 2 block houses, worth 3 ipc-3 block houses etc... A block house def at a 2 (every round), but takes two hits. If it is still there at the beginning of your next turn (only took one hit) it repairs for free (like ships at port). Can't be taken by the enemy, must be destroyed (to gain control of the tt). It would more or less be a 2 hit inf for 5 ipc's, that can't move, but you don't have to have an IC to build it. You could use them to soak up hits for your ground units (gives them cover).

Edit:
Maybe rule in that you have to have a ground unit in that tt to build a blockhouse (doesn't have to stay there after placed), and can build only one block house in a given tt per turn.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Fortifications:

Only built in original home areas you start with

effect: boost all defending infantry and artillery +1. If you don't have any of these units the fortification has no use. Captured fortifications are considered wrecked.

cost is variable. Fixed cost at 2 IPC PLUS 2 IPC for each border that the TT is adjacent from. SO Island fortifications cost 4 IPC.

A territory that is adjacent to 5 areas will cost 12 IPC

KISS
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:22 pm

Imperious leader wrote:Fortifications:

Only built in original home areas you start with

effect: boost all defending infantry and artillery +1. If you don't have any of these units the fortification has no use. Captured fortifications are considered wrecked.

cost is variable. Fixed cost at 2 IPC PLUS 2 IPC for each border that the TT is adjacent from. SO Island fortifications cost 4 IPC.

A territory that is adjacent to 5 areas will cost 12 IPC

KISS
How can you have this statement and "KISS" in the same sentence? I'm not saying its a bad idea, but your when you have multiple layers, or in this case variable cost/results I wouldn't call it "KISS".

I just think that fortifications or block house should protect your units, not necessarily add to there def values.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:15 pm

They do protect units, by boosting their effectiveness on defense. Fortifications are nothing themselves and are concrete encasement with a hidden gun and various encumbrances such as anti- tank traps, etc. They are not stand alone units. They are useful so long as a unit is inside or "using it" as a protection from attack. This is why they get boosted and they don't fire by themselves.

It is extremely KISS, because it does not move and can only be built in your original areas and the cost is easy to calculate ( 2 fixed +2 IPC for each adjacent TT). We play it this way for some time and its very simple and effective means to defend against invasions and does require a commitment to defend with proper forces. The problem with many "blockhouse" rules is people want to make it a substitute for having a proper defense by just inventing a new unit. It is not a new unit, but rather a defensive enhancement of the existing defense and thats what it should be.

Also, the cost must contain a variable component because under playtesting you soon find that a fixed cost is not balancing to the game. An island fortification is clearly not going to cost the same as Normandy beaches. If you made a high fixed cost people would just buy them for capitals and historical modeling would not reflect accuracy. Small Islands would never gets them and that is a key point for modeling of what happened in the war. If you made them cheap, players would build 'Hadrian' walls all over the place as a replacement for buying units, basically a barricade effect would occur. This was the case during playtesting.

It is very KISS to just add up adjacent areas and allow for cost of +2 for each side to denote the added value of defending the TT. It allows the cost to reflect the prize, so to speak.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm just not to sure that spend X amount of $, and now all your inf/art in that tt get +1 in def. As it is you have to figure that inf are already dug in as they defend at 2 (vs attack at 1). The Russian player able to spend 14 ipc's and all their inf/art in Moscow now def at 3 completely breaks the game. You would be talking about 30-40 units.

Have it effect only art, and have a cheaper cost might work, but you can't give a boost to that many units (inf). Art boost would be more logical as they represent a more fixed manned position IMO. In buying art it would show that you spent the $ to build up your defenses for an Atlantic wall. It would be similar to the old NA that Germany had in revised "Fortress Europe", you just have to pay to get it.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm

I'm just not to sure that spend X amount of $, and now all your inf/art in that tt get +1 in def. As it is you have to figure that inf are already dug in as they defend at 2 (vs attack at 1). The Russian player able to spend 14 ipc's and all their inf/art in Moscow now def at 3 completely breaks the game.
the cost of 14 IPC, which is in terms of buying infantry 4.5, or a total of 14 pips, so the cost is only paid in this case when you got 14 qualifying units.

I don't think Russia typically is going to have "30-40" infantry/artillery and if they did, the key is for Germany to bypass and take everything else. The Soviets would need to bring like their entire army in Moscow and ignore the rest of their holdings for that scenario to play out.

Anyway if you typically have 40 Soviet infantry in Moscow, i assume you guys play with fewer attacks allowing sides to build up. We call this a "wait and see" approach. If you some reason what you say might be true, then turn up the variable cost to 3 or 4 making the cost an additional 6 or 12 ( 20 or 26 for that same fortification). Typically, the Soviets will have about 20-25 in that last battle, and often the Germans just grab everything else weakening the Soviets further for this consolidation.

Remember the Soviets lost 1 million taking Berlin and USA didn't even bother invading Japan out of the shock of estimated loses.