ALPHA +.2 THEORY CRAFTING THREAD

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Captain Crunch

ALPHA +.2 THEORY CRAFTING THREAD

Post by Captain Crunch » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:09 pm

Please post your theory crafting ideas for Alpha +.2 here.
Regards,
Captain Crunch

Take time from your busy day to play Axis & Allies and to eat a bowl of cereal.

mantlefan

Re: ALPHA +.2 THEORY CRAFTING THREAD

Post by mantlefan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Increase in Japan's NO cash received for not provoking USA

AND/OR

Decrease in USA NO cash received for going to war with Japan if NOT provoked

These allow for the increased possibility of Go North (IJA's preferred strat) or Go South (IJN's preferred strat), and/or reflect the less resolve to fight the Americans would have had.

According to the at least the authors in this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=ogwJAAAACAAJ&hl=en
Japanese invasion of the East Indies would not certainly drawn the US into the war. Perhaps allowance of the invasion of the East indies (regardless of UK/ANZAC ownership, but NOT UK or ANZAC territories) without provocation of the US woud be appropriate. I don't think the new turn order affects the fact that te Japanese really don't have much of a chance of defending Japan and the East indies at the same time.
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles

Captain Crunch

Post by Captain Crunch » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:08 pm

mantlefan wrote:Increase in Japan's NO cash received for not provoking USA

AND/OR

Decrease in USA NO cash received for going to war with Japan if NOT provoked

These allow for the increased possibility of Go North (IJA's preferred strat) or Go South (IJN's preferred strat), and/or reflect the less resolve to fight the Americans would have had.

According to the at least the authors in this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=ogwJAAAACAAJ&hl=en
Japanese invasion of the East Indies would not certainly drawn the US into the war. Perhaps allowance of the invasion of the East indies (regardless of UK/ANZAC ownership, but NOT UK or ANZAC territories) without provocation of the US woud be appropriate. I don't think the new turn order affects the fact that te Japanese really don't have much of a chance of defending Japan and the East indies at the same time.
I think you will probably be right. But it will be interesting to see how it plays out now with the new order.
Regards,
Captain Crunch

Take time from your busy day to play Axis & Allies and to eat a bowl of cereal.

Darby

Post by Darby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:46 pm

I really like the new alpha. (in theory -- haven't tested yet)

However, there were a number of nice ideas that a number of folks had that were not included (which is good -- its hard to make sense if too many things are changed at once)

Most all the Alpha 2 changes were set up or NO based

The next step is to figure out which of the basic rule changes (if any) that have been suggested be included:

I'm attempting (from memory) to make a list of some of them here as an impetus for discussion focusing on the ones that I thought Larry felt promise:

Pocket Battles
Blitzing/more mobile units can move thru an occupied enemy territory if a force of 2:1 (in terms of unit number ) are set aside and dedicated to attacking the units defending the tt being passed thru.
For calculating number of units (of either defender or attacker) count planes as 3 and ground units equal to there move value.
Thus (in an extreme example) a territory with 2 inf, 1 mech, and 1 fighter would require a force of: 3(2+2+3) = 21 Movement points to envelope ( 21 inf, or 14 mech, or 7 mech, 1 Inf and 2 planes etc.)
Quite an extra investment -- but for those times that just 1 INF is left to stall a horde it would only take 1 mech an an INF to handle it.

Difficult Amphibious assaults/fortified coasts
Attacking Land units are -1 attack value on the first combat round when assualting from a transport.

Marines
Cost 4, Attack 1/2 Move 1
Ignore Amphibious assault minus
1 unit can be transported in a DD, BB, or Cruiser

Naval Combined Arms
A BB and a Cruiser together act an AA gun vs enemy air attacks when on defense.

Making Cruisers more desirable to buy
In addition to adopting the above rule, (which will also make BBs more desirable)
Give a choice each turn of
*) On Station - counts as 2 units for convoy disruption purposes
*) Calvalry of the Sea - can "scramble one space" like planes from an airbase to aid in a sea defense.
(if that's too powerful allow a 50% roll to see if they arrive in time)

Or simply make them a 4 attack 3 defense unit

AA Gun simplification
Just make them "Fodderable"
i.e. The owner can take them as a casulity anytime they want.

That's enough for now....thoughts ?

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 pm

I want sharks with freaking lasers on them added to this game. :wink:

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:32 am

I want a new game order, with joined players. They have their own separate economy, but buy units simultanesly, move and attack together, place units and collect income at the same time, just like the UK Europe and UK Pacific players. They have separate economy, but move and fight together. I think this will speed up the game pace, ant prevent game fatigue.

1) USSR + France - buy, move, fight, place and collect at the same time.
2) Germany + Italy- buy, move, fight, place and collect at the same time.
3) UK + ANZAC- buy, move, fight, place and collect at the same time.
4) Japan
5) USA + China - buy, move, fight, place and collect at the same time

This is better than the All Axis then All allies move suggestion, or the current one and one moves, that is very time consuming.

Also I think UK Pacific and ANZAC should be one economy and one player, at least in the global game.
Last edited by Eagle on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:43 am

Or a 6 player game:

1) Germany
2) USSR + France buy, move, fight, place and collect at the same time.
3) Italy
4) UK + ANZAC buy, move, fight, place and collect at the same time.
5) Japan
6) USA + China buy, move, fight, place and collect at the same time

This would be the best balanced game order

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:48 am

The new scrambling rule should be:

An Airbase let the defender scramble up to 3 Fighters and/or Tacs, into any adjacent seazone or territory, both during general combat and/or SBR.

It dont need to be any friendly units in that contested space. If any enemy unit end its combat move there, both in general combat and/or SBR, the defenders may scramble.

Every Airbase that get affected by this enemy combat move, should be able to scramble. This rule allow several Airbases, even with different owners, to scramble into the same space, during the same turn.