Alpha+.2

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
SirEdward

Re: Alpha+.2

Post by SirEdward » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:33 pm

m7574 wrote:SirEdward-

the beauty of this game is that there are a lot of differnt ways to win.
Along some major lines, but yes, I agree with you.
My point with the SFE attack is that it is a very effective manuever that I would like to at least have an effective counter.
It has, in my opinion: keep the 18 inf together and force Japan to leave or take forces away from the Asian south-east as long as it is needed for the US, UK, ANZAC and China to do their work. You can add a tank or two, if you want more defence.
There is no defense for it as the russian player unless you send your airforce over. And even then its too little too late.
If Japan wants, there is no defense in any case, Japan has 20 planes and can bring 18 inf in Manchuria in the first two turns. The point is this is rarely worth the IPCs of doing it. it's not who wins the attack on SFE, it's who wins the war later on.

It seems to me that you want Russia to have the advantage in SFE, but that doesn't make sense, because what would then stop Russia from attacking Manchuria and Korea every single time? Before the 12 IPCs bonus there was an attack in every game because Russia wasn't risking almost anything in doing it. Also, initiative in early game -has- to stay with Axis, not Allies.
I have no doubt you have found other strategies that work better for you. But trust me on this, the Jap SFE attack is effective.
In some cases, yes, and very much. But normally it is easy for Russia to make it less interesting than many other choices or not worth at all.
"they're coming out of the ***damn walls" (Japan Player speaking of Chinese infantry).

m7574

Post by m7574 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Japan SFE attack in a big nutshel:

Russia pulls back to Buryatia. If Japan moves into Amur, Russia gets 12ipc's to purchase units in western IC's but has no attck power in SFE to hit the Japs with. Russia must retreat a space. Next Japan turn, they move up to the Russian army again. Russia falls back..... and so on.

If Russia can place 12ipc's of units in the SFE after a Japaneese DOW, Japan cannot move up to the Russian army without adding significant forces. This doesn't give Russia any extra offensive punch unless Japan is the agressors. I only want the NO for being attacked to be modified so the SFE can defend itself.

SirEdward

Post by SirEdward » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:00 pm

As an Azis player, it's not the 12 IPCs that stop me from attacking USSR, it's USSR using that 12 IPCs against Germany. I'd be glad to wait for the USSR to retreat to Yakut and then attack Amur with 10 inf and some planes to see 4 russian inf pop-up and being annihilated shortly afterwards.

The fact that Russia can use the 12 IPCs against Euro Axis is much more terrifying than 4 imbecils in Amur.
"they're coming out of the ***damn walls" (Japan Player speaking of Chinese infantry).

Oakshield

Post by Oakshield » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:33 pm

I agree with SirEdward. If Japan is going into Russia that means it has given up on Pacific VCs, and that's the end of my US spending in the Pacific too. Those 12 IPCs help holding off Germany until the US gets to Europe, and I wouldn't want them anywhere else.

Carico67

Post by Carico67 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:31 pm

StormSS and WASP --- great to hear from both of you. If you want to test play at AAMC open an AA50 game and use the file---our files save maps and I honestly think we have the best dice-server on the net. Just modify TAC to "Jets" during attacks and list them as cruisers in defense for the 3 battle in SZ's...
Carico67, Vice Chairman Axis and Allies Members Club (www.aamc.net)
email me for help or questions about PBEM; Carico67@hotmail.com

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:22 am

Holy cow, a new term! SFE? What's that? Was authorization granted for yet another A&A term that makes it harder for newbies to pick up these boards? :shock:

SewrRatt

Post by SewrRatt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:58 am

I don't think anyone even knows what SFE means. Someone just made it up while referring to the soviet/japanese border area and since A&Aers love acronyms they didn't question and just ran with it.

Carico67

Post by Carico67 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:14 am

Most 3 letter abbreviations you'll see here are map initials--- if you join an online club and use a map program a bit it'll quickly become like a second language for you. SFE = Soviet Far East.
Carico67, Vice Chairman Axis and Allies Members Club (www.aamc.net)
email me for help or questions about PBEM; Carico67@hotmail.com