Alpha+.2

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Woodstock

Re: Alpha+.2

Post by Woodstock » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:08 am

Thanks as always.

axisanonymous

Post by axisanonymous » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:43 pm

I have a question: Britain and Japan are not yet at war and have ships in the same sea zone. Britain declares war by attacking on land. Is the Britain ship allowed to vacate the sea zone occupied by the Japanese warships without conducting combat?

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:43 pm

axisanonymous wrote:I have a question: Britain and Japan are not yet at war and have ships in the same sea zone. Britain declares war by attacking on land. Is the Britain ship allowed to vacate the sea zone occupied by the Japanese warships without conducting combat?
Yes.

Even when they are at war at the beginning of the turn, and there are ships of both nations in one SZ, then you can decide to sail away.

Carico67

Post by Carico67 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Woodstock; I think you're partially right and will explain, then Krieghund can comfirm when he's on.
(Unless I missed a rule) Once war is declared all units are at war between 2 sides. This means any fleets side by side should either have to stay in the SZ and fight, or vacate during CM and lose any possible NCM move. There could be exceptions if the enemy naval units are subs and the player in turn has no destroyer present. Another instance of exception might be duall occupancy with a tran only enemy fleet.
Carico67, Vice Chairman Axis and Allies Members Club (www.aamc.net)
email me for help or questions about PBEM; Carico67@hotmail.com

purplebaron

Post by purplebaron » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:00 pm

Wanted to share a few comments from a partial game I got in over the weekend with my Dad. We're both veteran A&A players with over two decades of experience, but only a few games of AA(P/E/G)40 played. We played AAE40 with the Alpha+.2 setup, no modifications (question 1, in AAE40 does Russia still get the 2 inf per turn from Siberia?). Not that I, playing the allies, have been reading this board and am conversant with the various opening gambits. My opponent has not read anything and was coming at the setup cold.

From memory, so builds and moves are approximate.

Turn 1:
Germany takes France and Normandy (got unlucky and lost a plane taking France). Germany elected to protect its Air Force and left SZ109 and 110 alone, destroying the other UK naval units in the Atlantic. Germany purchases two subs and infantry.
USSR purchases lots of infantry and begins pushing units forward.
US buys destroyers and transports.
UK attacks and destroys Italians in SZ97, builds tank and mech in South Africa, infantry in UK. UK picks off subs in SZ111. UK wants to do more with its fleet and fighters, but feels constrained by the Sea Lion threat (knowing my opponent, the attack was unlikely, but I wanted to respect the possibility) and keeps the home fleet in SZ109 under fighter cover.
Italy wipes out UK med fleet and moves units into Albania.
France tries to be useful, pulls ships out of Med, hoping to return. Flies fighter to Gibraltar (should have gone to Morocco) hoping to send ships and fighter to Malta next turn.

Turn 2: Germany makes no attacks, pushes navy to SZ112, builds new naval units, and floods infantry towards the Russian border.
Russia is preparing a split defense, one stack protecting Leningrad and the other protecting the Ukraine complex. I am concerned about my ability to shift troops to one or the other when the inevitable attack comes.
US builds a carrier and fighter.
UK builds a fighter and infantry, no build in South Africa. Home fleet retreats to SZ106, driven off by Germans. West India infantry picks up friends in Persia
Italy takes Gibraltar and Greece. Has locked up the Med for the moment, but isn't making progress against Egypt.
France twiddles its thumbs.

Turn 3:
Germany builds more infantry, sets up to attack Russia. Puts French fleet out of its misery. Pushes more subs into the Atlantic.
Russia bulks up more (behind the lines, of course)
US builds more destroyers, a transport, and a few more ground pounders. Ready to move out with a big fleet and 5 loaded transports.
UK moves fleet and infantry to Iceland, threatening Norway. Builds another fighter and infantry in UK, tank and mech in South Africa. Have wiped Italians out of Sub-Saharan Africa, no pressure means Egypt is still secure. Wanted to get fortress Malta online, but always had better uses for the units.
Italy finally starts bringing units over to Libya, but probably too late, as US will be here soon.
France desperately tries to be relevant

Turn 4:
Germany attacks Russia, but it has a dead-zone problem, and it is looking like it will be a slow grind and not a lightning push towards Moscow. That being said, Germany has a LOT of units, and Russia will fall eventually, just maybe not fast enough.
Russia counter attacks and reclaims two of three territories. At this point, the game is called on account of exhaustion and kids who will be waking up in the wee hours.

Thoughts:
Despite the obvious tactical and strategic errors on both sides, I feel like I got a solid glimmer of how the early and mid-game will go. First off, there are lots of options and few obvious/required moves, so that is excellent.
I'm not sure if this is by design, but on any of the first few turns, an attack on Russia seems very unattractive. That being said, I am coming to believe more and more that the most effective German strategy against Russia is to buy exclusively tanks and mechs turn 1 and position for a turn 2 attack against Russia, stealing as much territory as you can before they can solidify.
I *LOVE* the Ukraine complex. It really forces a forward defense and seems like it will help.
It was not a problem as far as I played, but I really didn't like having all three allies play in sequence and then Italy and Germany playing together. I can't point to any game play problems but it REALLY felt wrong. However, I don't know of a solution that will work in both Europe and Global (In Europe, I think moving Russia to after Italy might actually work, but then in Global, you have Germany and Japan going back to back)
My opponent obviously made an error not pushing hard for Egypt on the first few turns, and while he locked up the Med, Africa and the middle east were never really threatened. That being said, had he been more aggressive, I feel that the balance would have been about right. I also like that the Southern France IC means the Germans can more quickly get a navy into the Med if desired.
While I love many things about moving up the US turn, the big glaring flaw that I can see so far is that it puts them a turn ahead of Italy, which is a huge advantage. With one more turn to secure the Med, Italy will have a much better chance to hold off the US if they go for a southern strategy. I suggest that you buff Italy or weaken US in the Atlantic (preferably the latter) to compensate.

All in all, excellent work. Thank you for the tireless effort, and I hope I can provide additional input soon.

Dr. Shades

Post by Dr. Shades » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:02 pm

I have a couple more questions about Alpha +2:

On the European map, is Ontario considered to be adjacent to Central United States (speaking in game terms only)?

The new rules say that Major Indistrial Complexes may not be built in foreign territories. Is Manchuria considered to be a foreign territory to Japan?

Thanks!

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 pm

You cant built them outside your originally controlled areas, so Manchukuo is fine for Japan
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:40 pm

Dr. Shades wrote:On the European map, is Ontario considered to be adjacent to Central United States (speaking in game terms only)?
Yes.
Dr. Shades wrote:The new rules say that Major Indistrial Complexes may not be built in foreign territories. Is Manchuria considered to be a foreign territory to Japan?
Yes. Original territories are those that have the power's roundel printed on them.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok