Russian Front

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Larry

Russian Front

Post by Larry » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:58 pm

How badly under powered is Germany's land army along the Russian Front. I think it may be as much as 60 IPC under powered. I'm considering a reduction of more Russian units from the initial set up and perhaps adding 5 more German tanks.

Thanks
Larry

Talk to me...

calvinhobbesliker

Re: Russian Front

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Interesting. Where did the figure of 60 ipcs come from?

If you are going to add 5 tanks, I suggest you put them in places which can't reach France.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:17 pm

The real question is.... why am I not hearing people talk about these numbers... I'm seeing these kind of numbers usually following a R3 counter attack following a G3 Barbarossa.

MarkM79

Post by MarkM79 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:32 pm

I am of the opinion that a G2 Barbarossa is key. I can throw 40 units at Russia and this includes wasting France and Normandy on G1. (I assign Italy to take S. France)
The main reason to attack by G2 is so that Russia can't sit around all day and build units which is a guaranteed failure for a Russian campaign. I crunched the numbers and they still don't look good for Germany at G4 trying to take Moscow. (4 turns of building Infantry) I suggest 4 additional Mechanized and 2 additional Tanks somewhere on the Eastern Front at set up. Thanks for the Great Game.

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:34 pm

In a Sealion scernario, they deserve to be underhanded because that's the price for going for the cash (London-$$$). Germany seems to recover and make it a good game still, though Russia has the ad in the Eastern Front.

So I'm assuming you mean a Barborossa where they don't have that extra, extra cash. In this case they need to help Italy make more cash and more stable (25+ a turn). Whether they help Italy or not, Russia does seem to still have that upper hand a bit. 60IPCs seems a lot though.

I think you are right, but not by 60IPCs I believe.

Do what you want, you can go a lot of ways here:

Example:

take away 2inf fm Vyborg
1inf fm Balt St
1inf fm Karelia

add 2 tnk in WGer
1tnk in Holl

add 2inf in WGer

add 2 French art in France and 1 Brit Infantry in France also
(Why do this???- Germany will still win and won't lose the tanks- they will lose the low hitting infantry- but it won't be such a crusher for France NOR Germany).

So how about it?

stew8888

Post by stew8888 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Yes Germany in the East is weak I think the only thing you could take from the USSR is a fighter. They don't have a lot but if Germany gives them time they'll arm very well because they have a good income.
What Germany needs is not a lot more Tanks (maybe 2-3 more) on the East but more artillery then a smart player could buy M Inf and get them up to the front and have a stronger punch and replace the infantry destroyed. Offensively in the East inf and art are to slow so if it comes down to it Germany may need to buy more tanks. If they had a greater art reserve already up front then the M inf become more useable as an offensive weapon to replace the fodder. I've managed to trap Germany into a scorched earth using art and inf as my offensive counter attack using a hit and run strategy. A deadly combination killing off Germany's cheap fodder making them push forward and eventually allowing the USSR to hith their tanks.
So more artillery peices in the E front and few more tanks. Hurt the USSR only by
removing 1 fighter.
Thanks
I really enjoy these games

m7574

Post by m7574 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:41 pm

Is Germany really underpowered? The asnswer is yes. When the majority of german resources are spent on the Battle of Brittain the first 4rounds and Italy focuses their eforts on the Med and Africa, the Germans face a larger stack in russia that they are unable to push back to Moscow and topple.

5 more German armor? for real? If Germany forgets about Sealion and italy sends forces into the Eastern front a well played Germany can push the russian stack back to moscow and hold lenningrad or Stalingrad. It can trade the other. Most likely they will need some Japaneese help to capture the capital. Five extra armor is rediculous if you are asking my opinion.

If Germany metles in the Atlntic, the Med, air war or invasion of UK, or spends resources on an Africa campaign they sure as heck don't have the power to take Moscow. You Give Germany the resources to campaign all over the map to satisfy the mediocre armchair general who wants to have his fun with the allies on all fronts and the game is broken for the tournament caliber player. Top players will abuse your generosity in german units focusing all their might on one big prize.

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 pm

stew8888 wrote:Yes Germany in the East is weak I think the only thing you could take from the USSR is a fighter. They don't have a lot but if Germany gives them time they'll arm very well because they have a good income.
What Germany needs is not a lot more Tanks (maybe 2-3 more) on the East but more artillery then a smart player could buy M Inf and get them up to the front and have a stronger punch and replace the infantry destroyed. Offensively in the East inf and art are to slow so if it comes down to it Germany may need to buy more tanks. If they had a greater art reserve already up front then the M inf become more useable as an offensive weapon to replace the fodder. I've managed to trap Germany into a scorched earth using art and inf as my offensive counter attack using a hit and run strategy. A deadly combination killing off Germany's cheap fodder making them push forward and eventually allowing the USSR to hith their tanks.
So more artillery peices in the E front and few more tanks. Hurt the USSR only by
removing 1 fighter.
Thanks
I really enjoy these games
This makes a lot of sense. Doing it this way will also NOT give Sealion extra fodder to make it easier- they can only take 11-12 trannies full and you don't want them to be more high hitters like tanks.

If you are going to add to Germany's land forces I think you have to do it with infantry and artillery only.

Minus 1fighter from USSR
Minus the 4 infantry I mentioned earlier from USSR

Add 2inf, 2art to Germany somewhere

I would start here first.