Pocket Battles?

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Caractacus

Re: Pocket Battles?

Post by Caractacus » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:23 pm

The system we play and that seems to work very well is as follows:

1) if the Attacker can defeat the Defender's forces in one round of combat (i.e one set of attacking rolls and one set of defending rolls)...

2) then any Attacker units with movement spare (i.e. only units with Move 2 that have only moved a one space into the attack) may move on into a further space...

3) where they may also attack defending forces, if any.

4) There is no limit on the rounds of combat for the fighting in the second space. It is handled entirely normally.

5) If the first battle was NOT concluded in one round of dice-rolling, it is conducted entirely normally until its natural conclusion, but NO further move can be made by attacking units, even in they have movement points 'spare'.

I very much like this system for its simplicity and effectiveness.

It requires proper defending, not 'Inf stalling'.

It also allows breakthroughs.

However, it also requires concentrated force by the Attacker, and care to avoid expensive units (Arm and Mech) being stranded too far in front of the rest of the front line.
Caractacus.

QuakerGeneral

Post by QuakerGeneral » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Caractacus, thanks. I like your system quite a bit. It is simple but adds depth to gameplay.

ruggermike

Post by ruggermike » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:07 pm

That's an effective system as well, Caractacus...my only issue with that approach is that it doesn't allow the attacker to take the risk of allowing the pocket to remain behind...it does resolve the 'soakoff' inf defense decisively, tho.

marcelvdpol

Post by marcelvdpol » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:36 pm

While the "1 infantry buffer" worked quite well in the original Axis & Allies and also in Revised edition, with Italy being a separate power this is no longer the case. Just 2 Italian infantry with some air power on the front lines will punch a gap in the screen which the German Tanks and Mechanized Infantry can exploit. The threat of this one-two punch means that Russia has to provide a better defense in the area's where Italy can threaten this.