Alpha+.1

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
WILD BILL

Re: Alpha+.1

Post by WILD BILL » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:50 pm

As for the UK getting a sbmr (on UK), we didn't add it in the game we are playing now (wish we would have to see how it worked out). The UK player (my teammate) must have said a doz times wish I had that bomber. I know it is a powerful weapon, but one that the UK should have (but can't afford). It can be used in the Med, so maybe down grading some of the of the UK Med fleet would off set it (cruiser for sub or 2nd DD?). That way if UK does an attack on the Italian navy (with sbmr) it would be more with air as it was historically. Most of our games are seeing the UK fleet getting sunk when it attacks the Italian fleet (or in a counter attack). The Indian BB (along w/other stuff) heads towards the Med so they will eventually have some big guns.

As for the sbmr being used against a German fleet moving into the North Sea I have wanted to see a German dd added to Baltic fleet anyway. This would help dodge the sbmr if Germany comes out of the Baltic (or as a casualty attacking sz 112) and it needs a dd to handle the Russian sub too.

Larry there was also talk about an inf added to Gib (no easy walk-ins), and a mech in Egypt (or Trans Jordon) awhile back. I think oztea was wondering the same thing.

Yeah I agree ... lets add a UK Mech infantry to Egypt... done.

LH-i

Captain Crunch

Post by Captain Crunch » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:39 pm

WILD BILL wrote:As for the UK getting a sbmr (on UK), we didn't add it in the game we are playing now (wish we would have to see how it worked out). The UK player (my teammate) must have said a doz times wish I had that bomber. I know it is a powerful weapon, but one that the UK should have (but can't afford). It can be used in the Med, so maybe down grading some of the of the UK Med fleet would off set it (cruiser for sub or 2nd DD?). That way if UK does an attack on the Italian navy (with sbmr) it would be more with air as it was historically. Most of our games are seeing the UK fleet getting sunk when it attacks the Italian fleet (or in a counter attack). The Indian BB (along w/other stuff) heads towards the Med so they will eventually have some big guns.

As for the sbmr being used against a German fleet moving into the North Sea I have wanted to see a German dd added to Baltic fleet anyway. This would help dodge the sbmr if Germany comes out of the Baltic (or as a casualty attacking sz 112) and it needs a dd to handle the Russian sub too.

Larry there was also talk about an inf added to Gib (no easy walk-ins), and a mech in Egypt (or Trans Jordon) awhile back. I think oztea was wondering the same thing.

Yeah I agree ... lets add a UK Mech infantry to Egypt... done.

LH-i
Larry, why are you just adding a mech unit in Egypt based on that post? What was the original thinking of why it should be added. I am sure there was discussion but I don't want to spend a lot of time searching for it. Are the Allies not strong enough already?

Regards,
Captain Crunch

Everything is fine Captain... this goes way back.

LH-u
Regards,
Captain Crunch

Take time from your busy day to play Axis & Allies and to eat a bowl of cereal.

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:46 pm

I think it was to balance against the 3rd transport and extra Italian ships

Captain Crunch

Post by Captain Crunch » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:54 pm

calvinhobbesliker wrote:I think it was to balance against the 3rd transport and extra Italian ships
IF that is the case, why not just keep making the Allies stronger and stronger so the Axis can't do anything. I am almost at the end of my first game and it took 5 rounds for Italy to take Egypt and finally get to move into Africa. This forcing the US to use some of there resources to try and get Africa back. Axis took an ass whooping in this game. Mind you, like I said, it is my first global game and we set up before the blue changes but.....any feedback Larry.
Regards,
Captain Crunch

Take time from your busy day to play Axis & Allies and to eat a bowl of cereal.

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Captain Crunch wrote:
calvinhobbesliker wrote:I think it was to balance against the 3rd transport and extra Italian ships
IF that is the case, why not just keep making the Allies stronger and stronger so the Axis can't do anything. I am almost at the end of my first game and it took 5 rounds for Italy to take Egypt and finally get to move into Africa. This forcing the US to use some of there resources to try and get Africa back. Axis took an ass whooping in this game. Mind you, like I said, it is my first global game and we set up before the blue changes but.....any feedback Larry.

Calm down. Italy has been boosted significantly in its airforce, navy, and scrambling capabilities. That mech just helps a bit. If you're worried about it attacking Tobruk, put it in Jordan or Sudan

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:47 pm

calvinhobbesliker wrote:
Captain Crunch wrote:

Calm down. Italy has been boosted significantly in its airforce, navy, and scrambling capabilities. That mech just helps a bit. If you're worried about it attacking Tobruk, put it in Jordan or Sudan
Like Calvin said Larry intended to put a mech in N Africa from earlier posts (it just didn't get added in the new blue on page #1). We have placed it in either TJ or Egypt for several games now.

I will say from playing a couple games that both Germany and Japan play a part in Italy keeping its navy and collecting NO's. Not only does Germany have to keep UK honest by hinting at Sea Lion (could just be a fake out), Japan also needs to threaten India (other wise besides the BB and other parts of the Indian fleet they will also send air units).

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:31 am

questioneer wrote:Short list after last game we had:

Brit bmr- chop it

German Eastern Front NO-maybe to help it should read- [u]"Germany collects 10IPCs per turn for the Axis holding: WUkr, Ukr, EPol, BalSt and Belo at the same time"[/u]. Russians will have to engage in this case. You said something about avoiding scorched earth so...

Place one naval base on Kwangsi for the Japanese

Med is perfect

I agree with leaving the US rules for entering the war as is- delaying would make the game longer which it definetely does not need.

SBRs- any excess damage on Major IC past 20 could go on a naval base and/or an airbase on that territory- that should up the value of an SBR to try to equal it to a military operation.

Yes the US need to make a little less money but I like this arrangement for that instead:
US continent NO should be 10IPC per turn.
Cut #5 NO for US- the Mexico NO.

All other BLUE changes are solid.

...from my quote above:

"I agree with leaving the US rules for entering the war as is- delaying would make the game longer which it definetely does not need."

Yes, like Kreighund stated earlier, allowing the US to DOW at the beginning of their turn on round 4 would only delay their bonus cash for a round- that would not be a bad idea and it would help the Axis also- let's stick with that one.

And just waiting for Alpha +2- THE FINAL to come out...hmm, hmm... :roll:

MarkVIIIMarc

Post by MarkVIIIMarc » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:38 am

In response to the remarks about a quicker game. I think the 1940 set up in inherently a long game and I like it. A winter 1942 set up which cuts off the first four turns would be interesting for ease of play with larger groups but a different game when Larry feels like dedicating a month of his life to an entirely new set of balancing!