Alpha+.1

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
calvinhobbesliker

Re: Alpha+.1

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:08 pm

locke411 wrote:Again, I think you misunderstood me. I am not trying to say whether low luck or full luck is the proper way to play. I simply want to know if it is possible to include, during play test reports, which is used.

People usually use normal dice rolls.

And frankly, there's nothing wrong with that. On the average the dice work themselves out. If they tended not to... we wouldn't be playing this game.
LH-o

Thank you for all your excellent contributions so far. I know you'll be there when I need you help again in a few weeks.
LH--o

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:22 am

Canuck12 wrote: I like the new Med. setup.
But the theatre specific victory conditions really distort the global feel of the game. It seems the goal of changing the victory conditions was to ensure a more global game, but, in our game at least, it did the opposite. I am a strong proponent of sticking with the 14 VCs globally rule. The new US NO rules where they are dependent on islands should be enough to put more focus on the Pacific board. This has been and remains one of my major problems. Of course you understand what's behind the 6 VC victory condition in the Pacific - It's of course to force the US to allocate a large part of its income to that region so as they can't totally dominate the Europe balance of power. I don't think the National Objectives alone can force the US player to disperse his income in the games desired fashion unless this 6 VC victory condition exist. I'm very open to ideas on this issue and have been receiving feed back that suggest that the system is working. My own experience also indicates that the system works.
Hey Dave... love your attitude...Thank you for all your excellent contributions.
LH-o

Canuck,

I like the way the victory conditions are set up currently. They sound odd, but it is the simplest way to force the US player to spend money in both theaters. It is not easy for the Euro-Axis to get 8 VCs or Japan to get 6 VCs when the Allies use their scarce resources wisely.

With the new victory conditions, I think the US may have become the hardest power to play. They have total freedom to spend as they wish and are pretty much required to be the deciding force in both theaters in order for the Allies to win....just as it happened in WWII.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:32 am

Well actually the Soviets decided the wars result in late 1942. Anything US did was just icing on the cake or some mitigation to offset Russian war dead by siphoning some German forces to the west.

I like the new ideas because they allow what i was asking for for many years:

unlinked VC for both Germany and Japan. Now either can win or both can win as it should be.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:34 am

At this point I think I've got to request that you put your pencils down. Well at least that's what I've got to do. I want to focus on the material you have given me and start weaving it together. I can't be here and there at the same time. It's amazing how much work it takes to keep up with you guys. If I have not commented on some of your post it does not mean I have not read them or that I will not be consulting them. My plan is to take this material and see where it leads me. I will at some point be posting a draft of what will become Global 1940. I will request that you have a look at it and help me fine tune it.

To be clear ... I will be checking in but I probably will not be commenting or as fully participating as I have been as of late.

Great job :!: (so far).
Special thanks to:
Allweneedislove
Bluelguana
canuck12
Carico67
Calvinhobbesliker
cond1024
Corriganbp
Daedelus
Dannyboy2016
Dave
Eagle
Frank T
Hellmutt
Imperious leader
Infrastructure
Jak o' the Shadows
kcdzim
Kobu2
Krieghund
Kungfujew
LoafOFBread
Lobosolo
locke411
MarkVIIIMarc
MayDay 8
MiGraine
Oakshield
Questioneer
Oztea
Stefano1189
SirEdward
stew8888
Striker
swabianleader
The Fire Knight
tomekhello
Turner
Udutont
Undertaker
Wargamenut
And… WILD BILL

Larry Harris

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:38 am

Imperious leader wrote:Well actually the Soviets decided the wars result in late 1942. Anything US did was just icing on the cake or some mitigation to offset Russian war dead by siphoning some German forces to the west.

I like the new ideas because they allow what i was asking for for many years:

unlinked VC for both Germany and Japan. Now either can win or both can win as it should be.
Ok, I'll give that the Soviets would have won against the Germans when they turned them back from Stalingrad, et. al. It certainly didn't hurt that the US was in the European theater. I think we can at least agree on that.

Also, for game play reasons, we do want the US in both theaters and this is the simplest solution to that problem.

Carico67

Post by Carico67 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:48 am

To be clear ... I will be checking in but I probably will not be commenting or as fully participating as I have been as of late.
1:45 AM with a coffee cup, a computer, and a huge ever changing board is a rough way to live every day! Great job with the evolution of things Larry.... you have found a way to use this monster called the internet and upgrade a great game over 2 decades old into something masterful through editions trial and error! I'd say the report most needed to finish things is about concentrated focus on RUS and whether the allies can defend it vs solid axis play focused from both fronts using stalling mechanics---- but with the Sea Lion craze that seems a bit away so go rest up!

Rest up my ass... now the work begins. :lol:
Thank you for all your excellent contributions.
LH-u
Carico67, Vice Chairman Axis and Allies Members Club (www.aamc.net)
email me for help or questions about PBEM; Carico67@hotmail.com

Striker

Post by Striker » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:11 am

Im wondering, how do people find US economy in global? I'm asking because there is a big difference in what you would think it would get.

In Europe only, US makes 35+~30(NO) for 65.
In pacific only, US makes 17+~40(NO) for about 55

The total of these funds allocated to one theatre each is about 120.

In the global game(current alpha+), The us makes 52 base, plus about 25 in "reliable" No's.(Cause, you know, the Philippines are totally going to be supplying you NO's for most of the game.) for 75 total, to be spread between two theatres as it chooses. It's making 40-45 less IPC's the the sum of the individual theatres would be, that's a hefty chunk. From what i read It seems to be working out play test wise more or less, but hearing that is kind of surprising. Anyone got a explanation?

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:01 am

questioneer wrote:[Hey questioneer, as one of my main contributors I've got to tell you that I'm about to pull the plug on this phase of the game's development. I want to break away and analyze the material I have at this time, a lot of which is from you. I realize that you have not completely finished your testing but I've got to let you and others know that I will not be spending as much time interfacing with you but will instead be putting together what I hope will become Global 1940. I've got a mountain of material to look into and tons of test to perform.

Thanks
LH-e
Well then let me give you my final report now. I'll be brief as much of what I already gave you was given a few pages ago anyway.

Based on Alpha +1

Sealion

G4 is doable but nearly suicide. G3 is optimal but it will cost you material and possible a disadvantage in the Med because you cannot help Italy as much there. G3 gives you a round to get back and defend the East. Like I've said before, I like Sealion as an optional playable opening but I do not want it to become standard. Seems pretty balanced to me. The French fighter on England would be OK if you give Italy a sub/ship and/or a tac bomber to even the imbalance.

Barborossa

Probably a little better than Sealion though it has its disadvantages also...keeping Britain alive and producing units etc. Eastern Front is awesome in this version!!!

French Navy

Keep'em as is.

The Med

Pretty balanced in my opinion- so if you are going to add anything there you have to balance it with a unit(s) for the other side.

Russia too strong???

Yes, a little- your right they need to suffer a little more- Subtract a couple of units here.

US too strong???

Yes, a little here also, your suggested subtractions of 1ftr and 1tac are just fine.

Russian-Japanese NO/front

Perfect- don't touch it please- best improvement in my opinion- I've played attacking and waiting from both sides- great balance.

National Objectives/SBRs/Adjusted Rules including building IC issues

I think these are just fine- vast improvements here. I would not touch these, subtract or add to them.

Add a Russian destroyer/ship???

I thought about this but NO- in a couple of my games they just built one if needed.

Final opinion on setup changes based from the current Alpha+1 setup/rules:

Subtract 2inf, 1tnk from USSR
Subract 1ftr, 1tac from WUS
Add 1 French ftr to England
Add 1sub in z97, 1tac bmr to Italy
Add 1 mec to Egypt

11IPC cruiser

All I want for Christmas is an official final version of this great game so I can enjoy it over the break with my buds. Thanks Larry and looking forward to the final!!! :D :D :D

Got it... well, actually already had it.
LH-i