rule clarification

Naval strategy and wise economic moves are both critical in waging this far-flung war across an entire hemisphere. To the familiar elements from Axis & Allies, Axis & Allies: Pacific adds convoys, island air and naval bases, kamikazes, destroyers, and the Chinese army.
adlertag

rule clarification

Post by adlertag » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:21 am

just another silly question from up north.

I am Japan, and I want to attack US forces located at Hawaii.

I commit 3 cv and 4 ftr against US fleet in Hawaii sea zone.
Then I commit 2 ftr against US troops and air in the Hawaii island.
(all ftr's are carrier based)

I resolve naval combat first, and look, all my cv's are history.
Can my 2 ftr's still attack Hawaii island, since they no longer got a landing space ?

The rules says that in an amphibious assault, if initial naval battle sink all attacking ships, then the commited aircrafts still must fight 1 round of land combat. Another rule say's your fighters need a place to land after combat, or the attack is invalid.

IL, any coments ?
Krieghund ?
Anybody ?

frog

Post by frog » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:00 am

My understanding- I am at work so I don't have a page number in the rule book.

Yes, You must have a place to land during combat moves. If those Cv are destroyed in combat the planes can still attack, but they will be lost if they survive the battle.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:06 pm

Frog is correct.

You need to have a possible legitimate landing space for the planes in order to make the Combat move, which you did. Once the combat moves have been done, the attacks are declared and will happen. At least one round must be fought in each battle before you can retreat.

The only exception to the above is an amphibious assault where the naval battle is lost by the attacker, so the troops cannot land, or the amphibious assault is called off by the attacker after a successful naval battle. (Units coming from other places, such as air units, must still attack.) The Hawaii battle in your example is not an amphibious assault, since no ground troops are involved, so those particular rules do not apply in this situation.

Since the only possible landing spot for the planes in the Hawaii attack was eliminated in another battle, the planes will be lost at the end of their battle no matter what happens. They may as well do as much damage as the can before they die.

Hope this helps!
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

GSH34

Post by GSH34 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:41 pm

Krieghund wrote:...or the amphibious assault is called off by the attacker after a successful naval battle. (Units coming from other places, such as air units, must still attack.)

I thought there were only two ways of getting out of a declared amphibious assualt.

1.) You lose the naval battle.
2.) You retreat from the naval battle.

How do you win the naval battle and not do the amphibious assualt that was declared during combat movemet?

GSH34

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:57 pm

Page 16:
During Combat Movement, the attacker must declare that he is performing an Amphibious Assault and on what territory. He may not redirect it to a different territory during Phase 4 - Resolve Combat, although it can be called off.
Page 17:
Note: After a naval battle, the attacker is allowed to call off the Amphibious Assault. He may not redirect it to another territory.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

GSH34

Post by GSH34 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:09 pm

Right, we are in A&A Pacific. I did not see that. :oops: I had clicked on the "new posts since last visit" and just assumed it was a Revised question.

Rising_Sun_Warrior

Post by Rising_Sun_Warrior » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:55 pm

You lost the First Air Fleet.....? :shock: Bet that was a quick game...
"In wartime the truth is so precious, she must always be attended by a bodyguard of lies" -Winston Churchill