Alternate Victory Conditions or 'Sinister's Approach'

Naval strategy and wise economic moves are both critical in waging this far-flung war across an entire hemisphere. To the familiar elements from Axis & Allies, Axis & Allies: Pacific adds convoys, island air and naval bases, kamikazes, destroyers, and the Chinese army.
GROGnads

Alternate Victory Conditions or 'Sinister's Approach'

Post by GROGnads » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:43 pm

Yes it is from our dear 'acquaintance' "Sinister" and quite innovative too! In place of the 'regular' Victory Conditions you can subsitute this SET:

First off, the USA is 'reduced' from their 'At Start' IPs of '75' by '30' to '45' Now~don't ask ME 'why' it is a "GAME balance" thing.

USE the 'Set UP' from the CARDS and NOT the 'adjusted' one for Japan, again a "balance" issue.

"Lend Lease" is permitted by the USA to any 'Ally' but 'China', and limited to 'sending' up to '12' IPs in TOTAL to either or BOTH, divided up how they (USA) want.

"Victory Cities & Locations" & Conditions:
The 'Capitals' are considered as ONE of these so there are '5' of them to begin with AND there will 'be' a TOTAL of '12' of them.

Prior to commencing PLAY, then the OTHERS will be 'determined' by the Players. Japan will PICK '2' of these first, then the 'Allied Player' picks '1', then back & forth until '4' more have been chosen for a TOTAL of '7'.

You may want to 'make' some "V.C." markers for this to denote 'ones' that are "in play for the game". I might include some of them with the "Construction Variant" for this, that I could 'create'.

Choose from these CITIES & 'areas':

Perth, Sydney, Pearl Harbor, Singapore, Manila, Bangkok, Hong Kong

Saipan, Okinawa, the Solomons, Iwo Jima, the Carolines, the Marshalls, Wake, Papua, the Marianas.
Others to consider-New Britain, Formosa, Midway.

If you'd like a 'tougher' GAME or an 'easier' one, then adjust the TOTAL amount of "Victory Cities & Areas" needed to WIN!

Have FUN! and get back to US about 'how' this goes for YOU!
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

Griffey

Victory over the Raj

Post by Griffey » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:19 am

It's been a few years since I played my one and only game of A&A Pacific. I was the Allied Player. My opponent was a clever chap.

We both looked at the map and victory conditions and concluded Japan's best bet was to pounce on India, throwing everything available against India. Very simpply, this is because India is in the direction opposite the direction the Americans are coming from. I did what I could to prop up India. It wasn't enough. India was crushed rather quickly and the game was over. We both concluded the game is unbalanced in favor of Japan, because of the ease with which India can be knocked off.

Have other people had the same experience? Is there any way to beat a good Japanes palyer who makes India his strategic objective?

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:39 pm

Griffey wrote:It's been a few years since I played my one and only game of A&A Pacific. I was the Allied Player. My opponent was a clever chap.

We both looked at the map and victory conditions and concluded Japan's best bet was to pounce on India, throwing everything available against India. Very simpply, this is because India is in the direction opposite the direction the Americans are coming from. I did what I could to prop up India. It wasn't enough. India was crushed rather quickly and the game was over. We both concluded the game is unbalanced in favor of Japan, because of the ease with which India can be knocked off.

Have other people had the same experience? Is there any way to beat a good Japanes palyer who makes India his strategic objective?
There is a way to beat the "India Crush", as it's been dubbed. You have to buy 5 bombers for the US and a carrier for Australia (to ferry US fighters to India) on turn 1, and buy nothing but infantry and 1 sub for India for the first 4 turns. However, this only works if "sub-stalling" is used, and India must use this tactic to keep Japan from attacking her until turn 4. By that time, the US and Australia can get everything in range to India, and Japan ends up with around a 50% chance of winning the battle for India.

This is one of the main reasons I quit playing the game out of the box. Several house rule sets have been developed to eliminate this situation by various players, including Sinister's variation and my own, which involves only 5 rules changes:
  • 1. Count the Japanese victory points at the end of the US' turn (that way Japan has to take and hold a territory to get credit).
    2. Japan can win only on victory points - not on capital capture.
    3. No substalling allowed (attacking subs must fight one round before submerging).
    4. Kamikaze may not be used until "activated" - they are activated on the first turn Japan collects less than 30 IPCs of income (this makes them more of a game-saving "desperation weapon" than an advantage for Japan).
    5. Optional - Repair damaged battleships at the beginning and end of Japan's turn only, not the end of each turn (gives the Royal Navy a little more punch).
These rules make for a balanced as well as more active game - more small battles.

As a side note, the set-up in the box is incorrect. The corrected set-up is posted in the AH FAQ:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah ... xispacific
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

GROGnads

Well that is ONE 'way'

Post by GROGnads » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:43 am

...and here's another~I had this 'same' exact PLAN 'implemented' against ME and I managed to pull it off. WHILE the 'Japan' strategy was being 'done' in that 'direction, I was able to INVADE and 'Capture' Japan right AFTER they 'got' INDIA, and guess what? 'Japan' didn't WIN since they didn't HAVE their 'own' HOME 'free' at the end of the TURN while I 'did' WIN by doing just what I DID. 'Japan' wasn't in ANY 'position' to recapture the 'HOME Island' as it were, so ''GAME OVER, man!''
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE