Alpha + // Play test version

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
stefano1189

Re: Alpha + // Play test version

Post by stefano1189 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Oakshield wrote: This automatic upgrade would limit USSR build choices somewhat, but you could assume that the majority would be inf/art anyway. More importantly, it gives much more character and realism to the USSR. Its army always gets discounted in A&A on account of the purges and being unprepared, but I'd take this opportunity to present it closer to what the Germans were looking at the other side of the border: the largest army in the world.
Ok, let them starting with 6 more infantry on Moscow.

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Well, they would buy 11 inf, 2 art turn. Since their production is now 9(instead of 16), they need 2 units a turn. Thus, perhaps give then 3 inf, 3 art. Also, I would suggest addin a Bomber since, as IL has stated, they had a large air force(not sure about Largest in the world due to japan)

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:00 pm

With respect to Sealion, although some will say its harder to to UK's scramble ability, I contend that it's easier due to the following:
1. Germany gets 2 more planes to kill RN/defend invasion fleet from scrambles
2. West German airbase means Germany no longer needs to build a carrier, allowing it to spend more money on transports or ground units for Russia/Sealion
3. Stronger Italian presence means that, unless UK significantly reduces Sealion defense, UK will run rampant throughout Africa
4. Japan can threaten Hawaii and Sydney simultaneously for an instant win, forcing the US to focus solely on the Pacific, which only has a minor. This means it is impossible for the US to liberate the UK, which was one of the strongest arguments against Sealion in the OOB.

Thanks - I'll look into these issues.
LH-O

stefano1189

Post by stefano1189 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:00 pm

calvinhobbesliker wrote:Well, they would buy 11 inf, 2 art turn. Since their production is now 9(instead of 16), they need 2 units a turn. Thus, perhaps give then 3 inf, 3 art. Also, I would suggest addin a Bomber since, as IL has stated, they had a large air force(not sure about Largest in the world due to japan)
One more tactical would be nice. Ilyushin Sturmoviks were heavy fighters for attacking tanks\ground units.

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:02 pm

stefano1189 wrote:
calvinhobbesliker wrote:Well, they would buy 11 inf, 2 art turn. Since their production is now 9(instead of 16), they need 2 units a turn. Thus, perhaps give then 3 inf, 3 art. Also, I would suggest addin a Bomber since, as IL has stated, they had a large air force(not sure about Largest in the world due to japan)
One more tactical would be nice. Ilyushin Sturmoviks were heavy fighters for attacking tanks\ground units.

Tac would also work. The attack on 4 is more important than the range.

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Here's my game where I playtested the Med changes:
http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/ind ... ic=21226.0

The attack on Z97 was not a certainty since I used 2 planes on Ethiopia and Tobruk. In round 2, winning was very dicey.

Meanwhile, the UK's focus on Italy allowed Germany to do a Sealion, which still can't be stopped without completely ignoring Italy. The US couldn't build a liberation fleet because japan was pressuring both WUS and Hawaii in the Pacific. The US had to abandon hawaii to build ships to defend Z10, allowing Japan to take Hawaii and threaten Sydney. US built a force to retake Hawaii, but japan's capture of Sydney would result in immediate victory for the axis.

You know... If I didn't know better I'd think you want either the US beefed up. Japan beefed down or the rule about Minor US ICs removed. Does anyone else agree with these statements? You've got my attention...

Carico67

Post by Carico67 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:38 pm

In the original rules it was control for a "complete round of play", but that seems to have been worded out now (likely something WAY back in this thread). Perhaps that needs to be re-instituted? Not jumping conclusions from one post, just mentioning that it might be worth keeping an eye on. Calvin... thanks for the heads up!

Well, this rule (hold for a complete round of play) may have to be reinstated.
LH-e
Carico67, Vice Chairman Axis and Allies Members Club (www.aamc.net)
email me for help or questions about PBEM; Carico67@hotmail.com

Oakshield

Post by Oakshield » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Germany got more units with Alpha+, that should also be taken into account. I wouldn't mind 4 inf, 1 art, 1 tan, 1 tac.
calvinhobbesliker wrote:With respect to Sealion, although some will say its harder to to UK's scramble ability, I contend that it's easier due to the following:
[...]
4. Japan can threaten Hawaii and Sydney simultaneously for an instant win, forcing the US to focus solely on the Pacific, which only has a minor. This means it is impossible for the US to liberate the UK, which was one of the strongest arguments against Sealion in the OOB.
The US should be able to DOW if London is taken, I'm sure they would if it had happened and will speed up liberation in case Japan plans on delying its attack. Maybe the US setup could also be tweaked to have another transport on the East Coast. I'd restrict loaded transports to the US/Canada coast though.

[Edit: Plus, there shouldn't be 'instant win' with VCs - not holding them for a full round either, but waiting until all powers have played. Then, in your situation, UK India could try to liberate the VCs on its side (Manila, Shangai and Hong Kong) which Japan will leave light if going strong for Hawaii and Sidney.]

The US should be able to DOW if London is taken - I think very well become a rule.
LH-u
Last edited by Oakshield on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.