Alpha + // Play test version

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
Krieghund

Re: Alpha + // Play test version

Post by Krieghund » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:08 am

WILD BILL wrote:I gather that if the US is attacked, or its neutrality is broken the minors would be upgraded immediately to majors. So at the beginning of the US turn that follows " the incident" they would able to mobilize 10 units at each IC.

If the US has to wait until the collect income phase of its 3rd turn to enter the war on its own (still neutral), then the IC's would still be minors in the US 3rd turn mobilization phase (mobilize units is before collect income). So they could only mob 3 units per IC on their 3rd turn correct. They would be able to use the upgrade in their 4th turn.

Was this was done on purpose? I guess it would be an extra incentive to keep them out longer.
Yep, that's all correct.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

bubone

Post by bubone » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:26 am

Krieghund wrote:
WILD BILL wrote:I gather that if the US is attacked, or its neutrality is broken the minors would be upgraded immediately to majors. So at the beginning of the US turn that follows " the incident" they would able to mobilize 10 units at each IC.

If the US has to wait until the collect income phase of its 3rd turn to enter the war on its own (still neutral), then the IC's would still be minors in the US 3rd turn mobilization phase (mobilize units is before collect income). So they could only mob 3 units per IC on their 3rd turn correct. They would be able to use the upgrade in their 4th turn.

Was this was done on purpose? I guess it would be an extra incentive to keep them out longer.
Yep, that's all correct.
In this line of thought, what about removing the IC in Central US.
So US can produce only six pieces if not at war, a ral incentive to keep them out. And even historically correct.

Well if we need to go in that direction this is a good idea.
LH-o

bubone

Post by bubone » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:01 am

Little historical incursion :D

I'm not proposing new unit, but a little thinking about italian navy in the Med.

11.11.1940 The raid on Taranto: 21 british planes put out of order 3 (of 6) italian battleship. Two of the three BB return in line in 5 months

19.12.1941 3 Italian "maiali" (slow run torpedoes) sunk 2 british BB in Alexandria.

These were episodes, they didn't changed the course of war.
It is not necessary to be faschinated by the Taranto attack.

Here the proposal, leaving the first set up in the Med (maybe beefing up a little the brits) what about considerig Italy neutral until her first move:
- 10 may 1940: germany attacks Belgium, Holland and France
- 27 may/04 june Dunkerque retreat
- 10 june: italian declaration of war (yes, we backstabbed a dying man)
- 11 november 1940 Taranto

Carico67

Post by Carico67 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:08 pm

Larry,
Do I have your OK to copy/paste things from this thread and move them AAMC to progress further along trying to get us supporting G40? Thanks, C2

Of course you do. (Thanks for the courtesy of the request) Let me add that the page 1 doc is where I am presently. I'd like to add that I'm putting together a recap of this entire thread... person by person, topic by topic. As soon as I'm done with that I'll post it. I think this document will be helpful in that it will give us a birds eye view of the collective thinking as relates to each topic. The topics being:
  • Taranto
    Russian/Japanese None-aggression Pact
    Chinese Movement Restrictions
    Sicilian Airbase
    Malta
    Victory Conditions
    Base and IC AA Guns
    West India/British Colombia
    New Scrambling Rules
    Northern Italy Airbase
    Tobruk
    National Objectives
    Set-Up Change
    Major and/or Minor ICs
    US Minor ICs
    Neutral Blocks
    Strategic Bombing Raids
    Gibraltar
    General Game Balance
    AA Guns
    Sealion
    French Navy
Carico67, Vice Chairman Axis and Allies Members Club (www.aamc.net)
email me for help or questions about PBEM; Carico67@hotmail.com

Carico67

Post by Carico67 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:22 pm

You're the best boss, thanks!
Carico67, Vice Chairman Axis and Allies Members Club (www.aamc.net)
email me for help or questions about PBEM; Carico67@hotmail.com

Infrastructure

Post by Infrastructure » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:00 pm

I would like to throw my support to IL's bombing idea.

Same as it is OOB, except that the bombarded can't build beyond damage the next turn. Also that max damage is its capacity.

Simple yet more potent.

Well done.

Maybe make it so that you can always have 1 slot, so max damage is capacity-1, or you can pay double to remove damage to make capacity work that turn.

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Larry, good to see you haven't quit on us. Sorry if we overwhelmed you too much.

I would have no right to quit. You guys, my foxhole buddies, have not quit so I'm sure as hell not going to. I must say that I think it was your "Victory cities have to be 7 and not 6 due to the minor US ICs" that drove me over the edge... but not for long :D Sorry about that... it won't happen again.

Oakshield

Post by Oakshield » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Oakshield wrote:
Frank T wrote:[M]aybe beef up Russia a tad because they can really get run over by Germany now, especially with US spending heavy in Pacific and the German Airforce being stronger. Maybe give them some offensive units so they can attack Germany back if they move forward to quickly or punish them for an early Sea Lion.
I agree with reinforcing the USSR. OOB had Germany and the USSR balanced assuming, as it did, that the US would split its attention between the Pacific and Europe. That assumption only came true with Alpha+, but Germany also got some inf and air reinforcements. Those reinforcements eventually impact the invasion of the USSR.

I think the USSR needs a few extra units to re-establish the OOB balance. Germany play is getting too focused on Sea Lion, and it should have present from the start the difficulties of taking down Russia. I wouldn't go for offensive units tough, their starting forces already seem too tech advanced for me, but with the classic Ivan infantry.
I've had an idea for the USSR, let me know if you think it's cool. How about extending the US 'automatic IC upgrade' rule to the USSR? You could assume a G3 attack, take the units that would be produced in the meantime, and put them on the setup already. As per the general rule that USSR DOW effects are limited per board, the upgrade would only kick in when at war with European Axis.

This automatic upgrade would limit USSR build choices somewhat, but you could assume that the majority would be inf/art anyway. More importantly, it gives much more character and realism to the USSR. Its army always gets discounted in A&A on account of the purges and being unprepared, but I'd take this opportunity to present it closer to what the Germans were looking at the other side of the border: the largest army in the world.

Comments noted
LH-o