SCENARIO ALPHA PACIFIC 40

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
calvinhobbesliker

Re: SCENARIO ALPHA PACIFIC 40

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:04 am

turner wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that Sealion can happen (with a little more even odds though- 2 more UK inf on England).
How about 2 more French Infantry on England. Then it doesn't increase the attacking power of the UK.

Because it would be weird that there are more French men in UK than British?
UK can't attack anything except Scotland because all transports will have been sunk

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:24 pm

I thought that it was the RAF that saved the UK. Why not give them another plane (maybe a tac) instead of two inf. That way Germany would have to increase its naval def if it wants to do Sea Lion not just buy mostly tpts. The entire Royal Navy gets sunk on G1 (never happened), so at least beef up the RAF to make up for it.

Oakshield

Post by Oakshield » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:28 am

If the objective is to reduce the odds on Sea Lion, the most historical is simply to give more navy to the UK. Lower percentages in G1 will influence an invasion on G3.

Oakshield

Post by Oakshield » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:45 am

More UK navy instead of more London units would also be preferable for the German player. If the odds do not go his way on G1 he can adapt on G2, instead of waiting until G3 to see if Sea Lion pays off. It would promote more varied strategies.

Another way to lower Sea Lion odds via lower sea percentages in G1 would be beefing up Paris (or other French territories). Germany needed air support to steamroll France - the number of planes lost in the Battle of France is either half or close to the Battle of Britain depending on the timelines. More French units would mean a choice between lower odds in France or lower odds at sea, instead of Germany being able to do everything as it now can.

Sea Lion should depend on clearing the sea, not on the land invasion. Napoleon said 'give me control of the English Channel for six hours and I will have England in one week', and he was probably right. Whenever someone has managed to cross over, be it the Romans, Saxons, Normands or William the Conqueror, Britain has crumbled like a house of cards...

Coming back to Alpha, I hope the +10 'not at war' NO for Japan in Global goes through. It would however increase the incentive for Japan to sit tight. To slightly balance that, I think the NO should also apply to France. UK India does not get NOs in Global, and would make good use of the French Indochina money if Japan does not secure it.

Another tweak would be putting some responsability on Japan for the UK not getting its original territories NO, instead of Italy pulling that off automatically in Africa (sometimes just by holding Malta or Cyprus). Separate NOs for the UK would do it: one for Europe and Africa and another for America and Asia.

Finally, with the Japan NO you might even see J4 attacks. This should lead to changing the political rules so that US can DOW Germany if London is taken - something badly required in Europe to balance a G3 Sea Lion, but until now not a problem in Global because Japan attacks J2 or J3.

Sorry for the long post, lot of thinking during the weekend!

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:01 am

Oakshield wrote:UK India does not get NOs in Global, and would make good use of the French Indochina money if Japan does not secure it.
UK cannot take control of French territories unless it is recapturing them from the Axis.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Oakshield

Post by Oakshield » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:53 am

Oakshield wrote:Oakshield wrote:
UK India does not get NOs in Global, and would make good use of the French Indochina money if Japan does not secure it.

UK cannot take control of French territories unless it is recapturing them from the Axis.
You're right of course, scratch that remark (thanks for the correction!). However, I still believe that making Japan loose a 'not at war' NO by taking French Indochina would help balance the NO and spur Japan into action. I'd even like to see a French infantry there, representing the (admitedly small) army which was still fighting Japan in 1945...

More important to getting Japan going would be, as I proposed above, separate UK 'original territories' NOs.

Wargamenut

Post by Wargamenut » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:58 am

Have played one global and two pacific games, all using 'Alpha'. Allies eventually wore down Japan with this set-up in all three games. Allies can definitely win this set-up and I hope you havn't been too heavy handed with Japan. Taking India is definitely not easy with Alpha. I took India at the expense of leaving China relatively unscathed and that was an error. Ended up too thinned out, racing against the clock to take the Cities before US hit back. Japan still seems strong enough to take Honolulu and Australia early in the game without buying too much (if anything) to do that.

My concern with this set-up is that for Japan to win they must take a very systematic and predictable path to victory. i.e. Concentrate on China and eventually India with all IPCs spent there while using starting units to take Australia, Manilla and maybe Honolulu. I don't see the instant 40 for US as necessary. You have made Japan's task hard enough with the set-up changes.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:08 pm

On which turn(s) did Japan attack? When Japan takes Sydney and Honolulu early, what stops it from winning?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok