SCENARIO ALPHA PACIFIC 40

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
calvinhobbesliker

Re: SCENARIO ALPHA PACIFIC 40

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:49 am

Those seemed to be awesome games! If you want to play global, you can go to axisandallies.org/forums and download ABattlemap

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:50 am

Larry wrote:Questioneer

Well… if I’m reading this right you think Japan needs some additional help in the Global game. Perhaps you’re right. I’m asking folks to test this system presently.

Thanks Q... good stuff you're bringing up
Yes, that is what I am saying. Things need to be done to balance Global. As I posted earlier... this is why Euro/Pac40 are Axis favored and Global40 favors Allies

I think beefing up the Alpha setup with some mec inf for Japan would balance the Global game more...along with 2 more inf on England and applying the optional German sub rule.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that Sealion can happen (with a little more even odds though- 2 more UK inf on England). As long as Japan has a chance to do to Asia what the US can do to Germany if they decide to spend all their cash there. (The purpose for adding a few mech to Japan's Alpha setup).

MarkVIIIMarc

Post by MarkVIIIMarc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Larry, I was just thinking last night that you must have spent years balancing Sea Lion perfectly in the Global game w/erratica set up.

Yes Germany can do it maybe on round three. Probably on round four, but if Germany takes England on round four then an awake Russian player takes an empty Poland in force threatening the Berlin and its Minor Industry.

Genius!

It is a little rough on first timers playing England who haven't noticed Germany has 60+IPC in hand to spend round two. But I love it and when a newby is playing England I put in the World at War episode "Alone" and talk about landings all the time to drop hints.

For casual gamers if the rule book just said "To the first time British player, build ALOT of infantry so the Germans can't land on your capitol" it would be all the change I would want right now.

Perhaps in a few months I will figure out a Japan exploit in South Asia. I really feel an AGGRESSIVE calculating Japan is a coiled cobra but it is close enough and tons of things need to be taken into consideration to just push India in the Global game.

Canuck12

Post by Canuck12 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:01 pm

Sounds like Alpha is getting good reviews. That's great I like the setup from what I can tell.

I have been busy with school lately but a few weeks back we I tried the first major Larry endorsed setup change in a global game and thought the results might be usefull to the anysys of the Alpha:

We played it to about 9 rounds at which point the Allies conceded defeat.

Japan attacked Russia round 1, waited until 3 to attack UK/US. By this time the UK was collecting big money from their Malaya/Hong Kong NO and Anzac was cashing in on New Guinea. Japan focused mostly on Russia, building a major IC in Manchuria and deploying forces to siberia and China. China played a hell of a game and maintained the burma road untill the UK could move in to help. China remained a beast throughout the whole game taking back most of the coastal territories from Japan, this was mostly due to Japanese neglect of the Chinese front. Once Japan was trying to focus on both Russia and the DEI (Java was a pain for them) they couldnt afford to put troops into China.
Italy was the major difference in the game: earned 50+ at some points.

Observbations that may be revelant for Alpha:

I like the further reduction in Air power. It balances the board with Europe and in our game Japan still could not find uses for all her planes; many sat in a huge stack because the Japs didn't know what to do with them all.
Attacking Russia was Japan's downfall. They couldn't do enough damage to Russia to make thier troop commitment worth while and not one Russian VC fell through the whole game.
Gaining the American and especially the British Singapore/Hong Kong NO was a huge advantage to the allies. The Pacific UK was making more than the European UK at some points and had massive stacks of infantry: I beleive they were too powerful because of the added money from the NO.

I hope to try the Alpha scenario on Saturday but it is getting increasingly difficult to convince everyone to play with a new online setup each time. Hopefully the Alpha proves workable. There will always be minor imperfections but I think we are definately getting closer.

P.S. please delete this post if it is deemed irrelevant.

Canuck12

Post by Canuck12 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:05 pm

To Questioneer:

I agree with your assessment that the Global combo favours the Allies. But the way to fix this is not changing Japans setup for the global. Larry really wants to keep the setups the same.

We can however change the NO's. This is a precedent that has already been set.

So think about NO's that will balance it out. I'm always a fan of the 10 IPCs to Japan for not being at was with US and not occupying French Indo-China.

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:19 pm

Canuck12 wrote:Sounds like Alpha is getting good reviews. That's great I like the setup from what I can tell.

I have been busy with school lately but a few weeks back we I tried the first major Larry endorsed setup change in a global game and thought the results might be usefull to the anysys of the Alpha:

We played it to about 9 rounds at which point the Allies conceded defeat.

Japan attacked Russia round 1, waited until 3 to attack UK/US. By this time the UK was collecting big money from their Malaya/Hong Kong NO and Anzac was cashing in on New Guinea. Japan focused mostly on Russia, building a major IC in Manchuria and deploying forces to siberia and China. China played a hell of a game and maintained the burma road untill the UK could move in to help. China remained a beast throughout the whole game taking back most of the coastal territories from Japan, this was mostly due to Japanese neglect of the Chinese front. Once Japan was trying to focus on both Russia and the DEI (Java was a pain for them) they couldnt afford to put troops into China.
Italy was the major difference in the game: earned 50+ at some points.

Observbations that may be revelant for Alpha:

I like the further reduction in Air power. It balances the board with Europe and in our game Japan still could not find uses for all her planes; many sat in a huge stack because the Japs didn't know what to do with them all.
Attacking Russia was Japan's downfall. They couldn't do enough damage to Russia to make thier troop commitment worth while and not one Russian VC fell through the whole game.
Gaining the American and especially the British Singapore/Hong Kong NO was a huge advantage to the allies. The Pacific UK was making more than the European UK at some points and had massive stacks of infantry: I beleive they were too powerful because of the added money from the NO.

I hope to try the Alpha scenario on Saturday but it is getting increasingly difficult to convince everyone to play with a new online setup each time. Hopefully the Alpha proves workable. There will always be minor imperfections but I think we are definately getting closer.

P.S. please delete this post if it is deemed irrelevant.
There is no Malaya/Hong Kong NO in Global

Infrastructure

Post by Infrastructure » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:12 am

Have played 2 games of Global Alpha now. Both games were interesting. In one I tried a scheme of taking Spain, Turkey and Sweden on turn 3. It was amazing how strong this made the Germans and Italians by controlling the med., baltic, and the black, especially with Russia not at war for another turn, but the weird neutral values and units (South American $, no value for Switz, 4inf/ no $ for afghan and even more inf and no $ for all of mongolia...)made it hard, but it still could have worked if it wasn't for Japan being sluggish. It waited until J3 and even with focusing on China and Russia it hadn't made enough headway in time. It held off the Americans well at sea and swung around taking Malaya and built a major complex. India fell, but China was a monster. In the second game I saw a similar thing happen to my friend's Japan. In both these games Japan had off luck early. We all know that off luck early spells disaster for the axis, but it might be curbed a little if Japan had 1 or 2 more units on the mainland to start the game.

The alpha set up is great, but seems a little hard for Japan.
My suggestions if changes are considered;
1 more inf in Korea (this hinders/prevents the Russian attack)
and/or 1 more japanese inf on the mainland and 1/2 less chinese/russian inf.

Will let you know more info when I can play more. I can't wait!
I hope this is helpful, if not feel free to delete.

turner

Post by turner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:24 am

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that Sealion can happen (with a little more even odds though- 2 more UK inf on England).
How about 2 more French Infantry on England. Then it doesn't increase the attacking power of the UK.