HIDDEN SEA MOVEMENT

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
Staghound

Post by Staghound » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:59 pm

I fully understand the element of surprise and I agree it spices up the predictable gameplay of the original.

It's a pity though that this rule only applies to sea units and not land and air units.

IMO they certainly deserve a surprise factor too (after all: there were a lot of camouflaged fighters and tanks during WWII that seemed to appear from nowhere).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in your rule you have to state that your hidden sea units are in a certain sea zone when the enemy enters that sea zone, right?

So you have to keep track of all your hidden sea unit movements (taking care that your opponents don't see you staring at a certain sea zone while writing) and also keep an eye on the 'empty' sea zones the enemy is entering.

Your movement notations can then be verified by the enemy, etc., etc.

And of course there's always a chance that two (or more) hidden fleets appear in the same sea zone at the same time, which is Oopsy Daisy to say the least.

The rule I use contains the same element of surprise, but without the writing and applies to every unit in the game (except industrial complexes).

You can surprise your enemy by stating there could be a hidden unit on a land/sea area he wants to attack (there's no fixed or written down area for a hidden unit to appear).

A reconnaissance flight can force the popping up of the camouflaged (hidden) unit.

Of course there are some restrictions to where and when the camouflaged units can pop up, but it's a rule that works perfectly well.

The hidden units are, visible for your enemy, placed next to the game board, but he doesn't know where or when they will appear until they actually pop up.

The whole writing down on pieces of papers is skipped this way and there are no discussions about what's written down (or not).

Savvy?

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:05 pm

Staghound wrote:

Writing down movements on a piece of paper; how shitty is that?

its just as shitty as playing with plastic soldiers on a world map

the moment you actually write down a move on a paper, it goes from the toy dimension into a serious strategig challenge

but writing down orders are for adults only

you kids still have Revised as an introduction game
How did i miss this gem? My god this is too funny! LMFAO!!!
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Protoford

Post by Protoford » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:10 pm

Staghound wrote:It's a pity though that this rule only applies to sea units and not land and air units.
Savvy?
I agree, if hidden movement is allowed at all, it should be for every moveable unit. Discovery by the unprepared will be costly. Could end up with walls of chips meeting walls of chips too. I am not a fan of writing this down, but maybe markers on a side-card that's blocked on at least one side of a mini-map. If you scale it down too low though, you will have to increase the number of map spaces and increase the main game map size to make it playable, like 'War in the Pacific' was way back when. KISS would toss out hidden movement altogether.