HIDDEN SEA MOVEMENT

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
adlertag

HIDDEN SEA MOVEMENT

Post by adlertag » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:37 am

HIDDEN SEA MOVEMENT

A&A Guadalcanal has some rules that will fit perfectly in deluxe ed.

1) Hidden sea movement. All players simultanesly write down on paper wich sea units shall move, from sz to sz. Ex: Fleet sz 4 >sz5 or Fleet sz4 > sz5 and >sz6. Now all players move naval units according to the orders.

2) Move aircrafts

3) Move land units

4) Conduct combat as usual

Admiral_Thrawn

Post by Admiral_Thrawn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:49 am

I have not tried these rules for Guadalcanal yet but, they sound cool. If you did hidden sea movements wouldn't why wouldn't you do it for the rest of the units? Couldn't these add a lot of time to the game as well. It sounds like a lot of writing. There would need to be maybe some kind of form you could use to speed things up.
"Concentration, focus, long-term thinking--those are the qualities that seperate a warrior from a mere flailing fighter." - Grand Admiral Thrawn

Staghound

Post by Staghound » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:13 pm

I call them: 'sleep rules'.

Writing down movements on a piece of paper; how shitty is that?

Why not play a whole hidden movement game on a seperate map underneath the table? (seriously: I spoke a guy who actually played like this)

I use camouflaged units.

No writing at all and a far better rule.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:01 pm

Staghound wrote:
Writing down movements on a piece of paper; how shitty is that?
its just as shitty as playing with plastic soldiers on a world map

the moment you actually write down a move on a paper, it goes from the toy dimension into a serious strategig challenge

but writing down orders are for adults only

you kids still have Revised as an introduction game

Staghound

Post by Staghound » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:19 am

adlertag wrote:the moment you actually write down a move on a paper, it goes from the toy dimension into a serious strategig challenge
Besides the fact that most of the WWII strategics were done on maps, I think there's absolutely no challenge in writing down movements on a piece of paper while playing a board game.
adlertag wrote:but writing down orders are for adults only

you kids still have Revised as an introduction game
Again, a mistake.

I certainly need no introduction to Axis & Allies or any expansion that comes with it.

In fact, I was writing down movements on pieces of paper twenty years ago before deciding to completely skip this tedious nonsense.

Why would you write down hidden moves?

As I already said: use hidden units instead of hidden movements.

Saves a lot of paper and suspicious looks.

8)

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:19 am

are we having an attitude here ?

Staghound

Post by Staghound » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:51 pm

To answer your question to the mirror: yes, you have.

But I'm sure you can fix that by leaving out the kids vs. adults statements in the future.

Now back to the topic: why aren't you writing down any hidden air and land unit movements?

Would be consistent IMO.

What do you think?

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:24 pm

OK, lets work together

Fleets are different from armys.

Fleets will surprisingly turn up in the horizon, and this is reflectet in the Hidden Sea move, where we write down the naval moves on paper, and all players simultanesly move their naval units.

Then we move the aircrafts in turn, and then all move their armys in turn, just like in A&A Guadalcanal. We do this because this is realistic.

KISS
Keep it simple stupid is what Larry use because he design games to the thousands of gamers. We die-hard wargamers will never get a serious and deep A&A game, because AH dont make games that only 5 persons buy. Even if IL buy 20 copies.

But the Hidden Sea Move as an option, as in G, will enhance the game, and make it more like Diplomacy, wich I love. Today the game mechanic is pure math, you strafe the dead-zone until you have more attack-value than the defender have defending-value, and then move in, its very predictable and boring. So this new rule will put surprise into the game, and now you will have to gamble when you move, just like in real wars.

comprende ?