Game piece color

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:34 am

what makes the white look excellent, are the black highlights...just little details like that make games stand out...

ES
-The evil Bert & friend

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:59 pm

The colours are fine as they are... just paint them if you wish.

Keep the Revised colours for the countries and get new ones for Italy and China...

Would you like to see US units in white in Guadalcanal?! and then in a Italian front game in blue...?! Pink maybe for Leyte Gulf...? This looks more like fashion TV... :?
Just keep a pattern and stick to it. Anyone who wants to customize just do it by your own. :evil:

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:51 pm

But Avalon Hill mess with the colours as much as anyone, perhaps because the original were not quite satisfactory (I remember abandoning a game of classic because the UK and Japanese units got mixed up).

There are too many tans/yellows/oranges/browns/reds, hence the simple solution of white for Japan.

http://www.brns.com/pages4/killbill6.html
Last edited by Flashman on Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Fox

Post by Black Fox » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:23 am

Dagon81

For the most part I agree with you. I like the colors from the original the best and even the 2004 edition aren't bad. The only real issue I had is with the Japanese.

Of course the main purpose of this thread is to voice our opinion about what color we would like to see in the Deluxe edition but secondly if people can describe their choice based of of model paint I think it would help Mr. Harris to understand us more precisely. The added benefit is that people will also be able will be able to paint other pieces to match the new ones.

From what I've read overall from this site is that most people like the colors from the original MB A&A game with the exception of the Japanese.

That said I found an excellent color to represent the Japanese. Oddly enough, it's called "Japan Uniform" made by http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/. It's a greenish yellow tan that matches one of the Japanese uniform types http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uni ... anese2.htm.htmfairly well (The web site color sample is not correct. The closes to the actual color on the acrylicos site is called super gold but lighter) and it stand out from the other classic colors very well. In fact they make colors that match other country uniforms.

I also found another color that I think would be great for the Germans. It's called "RLM 02 Grey" made by "Polly Scale" It's a medium gray with a greenish tint and matches the color of some German uniforms.

For those of you who wish to match colors with the original & 2004 A&A games here is what I found.

For the original MB colors.
Russins "Red Brown XF-64" by "Tamiya" matches the Russian color very well.
British US TAN Special F505386 by "Polly Scale" is dead on for the British. This color also work well for the 2004 pieces. In fact the original & 2004 tan for the British are almost identical.
U.S. "Luftwaffe Camo Green" by "Vallejo" is the best color I found.

For the 2004 Edition here are some colors that match very well.
Russian "Hull Red" by Vallejo
US "International Green" by "Polly Scale" & "USA Uniform" by "Vallejo"

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:57 pm

Sorry, but being partially colour-blind they just look like tan to me.

I need something much more distinct; that I can tell at a glance. This is more important than it being the historically correct colour.

Protoford

Post by Protoford » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:23 pm

In keeping with the name 'deluxe', how about shiny metalic paint jobs with the colors of MB A&A? Or just dark for one side, and light for the other. Maybe turn one of the nations a light blue, like the british to help with some of the color blind players we run into. White for neutrals? or make it a black and white game and call it chess.