The Four Seasons

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
Flashman

The Four Seasons

Post by Flashman » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:35 pm

It seems to be a given that a round in A&A represents approximately three months. Therefore: four rounds in a year, each representing a season; summer, autumn, winter, spring.

But what effects should apply to the game in each season?

So far I have the White Sea as impassable in winter (frozen over), but what effect should winter have on northern land areas?

And how about autumn rains bogging down armoured units?

I'm pretty much set on Deluxe starting in Summer 1942, i.e. June-July-August. The Soviet "Spring" offensive which is the traditional start didn't ammount to much due to Stalin's obstinacy, but a June '42 start has several advantages including
Phillipines cleared of US units
Mexico joined the Allies in May

This system also gives us March, June, September and December as the start months for each round, very handy for earlier scenarios.

Midway was 4th of June, the African frontier was stablised at the Libya/Egypt border, and the German Summer offensive towards the Don began at the end of June. This suggests a turn order of:

Japan
USA
Germany
USSR
Italy
UK

GROGnads

oh sure!

Post by GROGnads » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:35 am

To begin with, then you do realize that the "Seasons" run such as in this manner:

Winter = Dec to Feb
Spring = Mar to May
Summer = Jun to Aug
Autumn = Sep to Nov

Then we have the opposite underside of the "World" where their "Seasons" run contrary to the topside, or as being completely of the opposite one. You'll want to include as many "Weather Effects" as you can that could have adversely affected "OPS" during the proper time for these. While with some others, then perhaps a "benefit" will be obtained for certain 'Units' during that.
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:43 pm

Regarding the southern hemisphere I'm unaware of weather effecting any areas in this conflict. It was pretty much a "Northern" world war, apart from maybe New Guinea which is close to the equator and therefore hardly effected by seasons. Perhaps some of the southern sea zones freeze up in "Summer"?

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:40 pm

Forget the weather

Let Russia have forest terrain, and let terrain favour the defender

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:46 pm

You mean like the Ardennes favoured Belgium in 1940?

The only really heavy forest in USSR was in the far north and Siberia which isn't really where the Germans are headed and isn't worth anything anyway.
Mountains and marshes definately give defender bonuses, though.

GROGnads

oh really?

Post by GROGnads » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:24 am

Flashman wrote:Regarding the southern hemisphere I'm unaware of weather effecting any areas in this conflict. It was pretty much a "Northern" world war, apart from maybe New Guinea which is close to the equator and therefore hardly effected by seasons. Perhaps some of the southern sea zones freeze up in "Summer"?
oh, so that "Monsoon" season was just a little "piddle in a puddle" right? and GAWD! knows that landing or taking OFF from a sucking mud-field was of NO 'consequence' then eh? Those folks who had to 'deal' with such were just a bunch "slackers" as well I'd imagine, yes?
"Watch out where the Gurkhas 'go' and don't you eat that BROWN not snow!"
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:44 pm

The monsoon where?

India? Burma? Indo-China?

So what are you suggesting: mud slides in the Autumn rainy season? Malaria wiping out 1/3 of your troops?

Rising_Sun_Warrior

Post by Rising_Sun_Warrior » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:16 pm

Typhoons are pretty devastating. Maybe during the monsoon season each navy in the Pacific rolls a die and on a 1 the fleet is heavily damaged, say half the destroyers sunk and all cruisers and battleships damaged. In addition, all carriers damaged and half their aircraft lost (only Allied carriers because the Japanese did not employ deck parks and thus would not have lost aircraft.) I know it sounds pretty devastating, but hey it is a typhoon. Just look at the typhoon that battered the US Fleet that would have been heading straight for Japan had they not surrendered in 1945.

And if you're joking about the malaria thing Flashman, then you may not realize what a neat thing you've stumbled on. Diseases should be included in A&A . Think how many troops were incapacitated not by enemy fire but by disease, physical and mental. It's probably too much for this scale of game but again, I'm just throwing out ideas.

RSW
"In wartime the truth is so precious, she must always be attended by a bodyguard of lies" -Winston Churchill