Channels, straits and canals

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
adlertag

Channels, straits and canals

Post by adlertag » Sat May 26, 2007 4:39 pm

Channels, straits and canals, can they be blocked ?

Now if you place a Blockhouse with big guns in a territory that is adjacent to English Channel, Gibraltar straits, Bosporus strait (Turkey) or the straits between Denmark and Sweden, would this Blockhouse denie enemy fleets in sailing through ?

In WW I the Royal Navy tryed to sail through Bosporus straits, but the big Turkish guns sunk the british battleships.

Would this go for English channel too ?

Coastal defence

FleetAdmiral

Post by FleetAdmiral » Sat May 26, 2007 9:08 pm

Most interesting indeed. In all games I've played Gibraltar is always ignored by the Germans.

I agree that the straits that you have mentioned should be blocked if blockhouses (with the big guns) are built in those locations. However, in the case of the English Channel, historically, the British Dover and German coastal guns did not deny movement through the Channel. This for game purposes, the guns should not have the ability to interdict that sea zone.

By allowing straits to be blocked, it would give the Germans the incentive to invade Gibraltar to place such blockhouses there in order to secure the Mediterranean. And building blockhouses in Scandinavia to help protect Germany from a direct amphibious invasion. By allowing such methods, new game strategies will evolve. :D

BTW adlertag, glad you found that link I gave you in the other thread useful.
Ever had the IJN have 4 BBs, 4 fully loaded CVs, 2 DDs, 5 TRNs, and 1 Sub -VS- 3 US BBs, 3 fully loaded CVs, 3 TRNs, 11 DDs and 1 Sub?

Commands: Galactic Empire Data Bank

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun May 27, 2007 7:50 am

On my map Turkey is one territory and the Bosporus is treated as a canal, just like Panama and Suez.

Perhaps ships can attempt to "run" through straits such as the EC with the defender given a shot at them in the style of AA guns.

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun May 27, 2007 3:34 pm

Comments noted.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:48 pm

Same subject in reverse, are there any "straits" that should be crossable by land units without the use of transports?

I'll assume that ground pieces can always cross landways over canals/ the Bosporus, but what about others: Sicily to Italy? Denmark to Sweden?

The subject came to my attention researching the Stalingrad campaign, and the various crossings of the strait of Kerch. Apparently the sea of Azov freezes over in winter creating a land bridge. This could be an important factor in Russian campaigns, as a strait crossing from Crimea to Caucasus cutting out the intervening Don and Ukraine could help armies to escape if the normal route is blocked.

thehero

Re: Channels, straits and canals

Post by thehero » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:38 am

Mabey artillary could act as block house.

They would apply in Gibrultra-Algeria, Northwestern-europe and Bulgaria-Romaina. Any ship that tries to cross through it has to absorb artillary fire, hitting on 4.
It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. ~Voltaire, War

The quickest way of ending a war is to lose it-George Orwell