Infantry Pieces

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
Flashman

Infantry Pieces

Post by Flashman » Tue May 15, 2007 6:48 pm

Are you happy with the basic infantry pieces? If there is to be a deluxe version, does anyone who would buy it need any more German infantry? So maybe include some new pieces to add variety:

How about:

New British infantry (European theatre uniform)
Anzacs (Slouch Hat)
British Indians (Turbans)

We could use the AAR "Limey" pieces for Canadians, and the original tan Brits for 8th Army "desert" troops.

Italians, Finns and Romanians for the Italian player

Or maybe just a different fig for each army so we can use them for Elite units?

Chinese Nationalists in US green

Admiral_Thrawn

Post by Admiral_Thrawn » Wed May 16, 2007 1:34 am

I love the idea of seperate U.K. troops. I have always tried to seperate them by color but different molds would be even cooler. If this is to be the "Deluxe" version things like this are a must.
"Concentration, focus, long-term thinking--those are the qualities that seperate a warrior from a mere flailing fighter." - Grand Admiral Thrawn

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Wed May 16, 2007 1:42 am

I would like to see German Gebirgstruppen, or mountain division. They used caps, not helmets. And before the war there was 5 corps of them, designed for use in mountain areas as Norway, Italian alps and Caucasus. They even conquered the Elbrus mountain

The german army had 3 different units :
Infanteri divisjon
Gebirgs divisjon
Panzer divisjon

Link to Feldgrau, the German army WWII

I would like to see a national specific elite unit to each player, that cost 4 IPC and have some advantage

*USA - US Marines, of course, attack on 3 in ampibious assaults

*Germany- Gebirgs-Jaeger, or Fallschirm-jaeger. Defend on 3 in mountain terrain, or in grey territories, wich have lots of mountains anyway. Light grey uniform with caps, not helmets.

*Sovjet - Red Partisans, may be build/placed in territories that are occupied by gemany

*Japan- Kamikaze infantry, do Banzay attacks on 2

* UK- Commandoes, targeted attacks on 3 in first round of combat

FleetAdmiral

Post by FleetAdmiral » Sun May 20, 2007 11:39 pm

I like keeping the number of different infantry types down to a minimum - after all it adds to the administration of setting up the board, and the need to sift through your pieces pile to properly find and place the desired piece.

However, I would not be adverse to having 2 different infantry molds per nation.
Mold 1 = European/Desert Theatre
Mold 2 = Pacific Theatre
Of course in the case of the Japanese they didn't participate in the European theatre, so they would just get 1 mold.
Ever had the IJN have 4 BBs, 4 fully loaded CVs, 2 DDs, 5 TRNs, and 1 Sub -VS- 3 US BBs, 3 fully loaded CVs, 3 TRNs, 11 DDs and 1 Sub?

Commands: Galactic Empire Data Bank

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Mon May 21, 2007 8:38 am

FleetAdmiral wrote:I like keeping the number of different infantry types down to a minimum - after all it adds to the administration of setting up the board, and the need to sift through your pieces pile to properly find and place the desired piece.
That is why you use plano tackle boxes. You can keep your units separated.

FleetAdmiral wrote:However, I would not be adverse to having 2 different infantry molds per nation.
Mold 1 = European/Desert Theatre
Mold 2 = Pacific Theatre
Of course in the case of the Japanese they didn't participate in the European theatre, so they would just get 1 mold.
The European Axis didn't participate in the Pacific. But I can see giving them multiple molds because of operating in different theaters- like North Africa and the Eastern Front in the winter.

Craig

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon May 21, 2007 3:17 pm

The problem is colour - do we really need Afrika Corps in tan, or would this just be confusing to the eye, which needs to be able to take in the whole board in a sweeping scan and identify whom has what where? Keep a power's pieces all in the same colour.

I was thinking more along the lines of recognising the large numbers of Anzac, Indian, Chinese, Romanians etc. with their own infantry pieces, but in the same colour as the controlling power.
Anzacs apart, hardly any of these have useable figures in the plastic 1/72 range, though WWI Germans make good Chinese Nationalists.

templeton

Re: Infantry Pieces

Post by templeton » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:55 am

Flashman wrote:New British infantry (European theatre uniform)
If only one change is made - then this is a must!!!

I prefer the idea of keeping the national colour the same - very few of the people I play know the difference between the tanks/units anyway, so it wouldn't matter to them and they would just insist on using 'green' things for the Americans etc.

But the figures need updating - maybe slighly more chunky, like the new 1/72 figures released for Germans and British by Valiant.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Rev ... code=VM001
(third in from the left on the top row make good A&A peices).

Ditto the Germans;
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Rev ... code=VM002
(The guy second from the left on the top row).

Americans are the next release...

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:44 pm

Personally, I like the row of heads at the bottom! :lol:
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok