Order of Play

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
Flashman

Order of Play

Post by Flashman » Fri May 04, 2007 6:51 pm

In considering order of play, I'll assume a six power game.

My suggestion is that the OOP is different according to the number of players, thus producing a slightly different scenario in each version:

6 players:
Germany
USSR
Italy
UK
Japan
USA

5 players:
USSR
Germany/Italy
UK
Japan
USA

4 players:
Germany/Italy
USSR
Japan
UK/USA

3 players:
Germany/Italy
Allies
Japan

2 players:
Axis
Allies

Finally that in a six player game each power has a personal rival, and that individual victory goes to whoever's rival's capital is captured first, i.e.

Germany vs USSR (control of Eastern Europe)
Italy vs UK (Mediterranean)
Japan vs USA (Pacific)

So, while the overall goal is still a team victory, each player will be pressing for a particular emphasis in strategy. Germany will be pressing hard for Moscow, Italy will be arguing the case for invading Britain, and Japan will emphasise the importance of attacking the USA before it builds up it's forces. And visa versa for the Allies.
Alternatively make each personal rivalry a secret by dealing cards so that players don't always know what's in their allies' best interests.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sat May 05, 2007 3:48 am

I totally agree, we must have individual victory.

They win as a team, but with an individual champion.

Comrade Tiki

Post by Comrade Tiki » Sat May 05, 2007 4:04 am

I do not like the Germany-goes-first policy as the game already represents that Barbarossa just occurred. It begins with Russia's opportunity to counterattack, does it not?

Also, do the individual national goals really enhance the game? If Russia made leaps and bounds in the Far East against Japan whilst Germany found itself right at home in Britain, wouldn't they both be rather happy?

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat May 05, 2007 10:34 am

There's nothing to stop them doing this. They have to win as a team first, but the secondary objectives create tensions within each alliance. There is no individual winner on the losing team.

Looking closer, perhaps the goals I suggested might be modified to:

Italy - Fall of London OR Cairo
Japan - Fall of Eastern USA OR Western USA

Note that the power concerned doesn't have to take the objective themselves, it is simply the first to fall to their alliance.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sat May 05, 2007 12:13 pm

The new system with victory points is NOT to my liking. Just bring back the good old grab a capital and win.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat May 05, 2007 4:24 pm

It usually ammounts to the same thing in the end, unless you're playing something silly like first to hold 8 VCs.

Regarding my proposals for turn order - yes, if Germany played first it would alter the game, but this could be used to create different starting points, for example Autumn '41 with Germany still to take Belarus and West Russia.

Comrade Tiki

Post by Comrade Tiki » Sun May 06, 2007 3:25 am

Flashman wrote:Regarding my proposals for turn order - yes, if Germany played first it would alter the game, but this could be used to create different starting points, for example Autumn '41 with Germany still to take Belarus and West Russia.
Ok, now I like. :)

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon May 07, 2007 8:40 am

comments noted