Sound Off On Artillery

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:22 pm

Artillery SHOULD be poweful. Over 50% of battlefield casualties in WWII were caused by artillery fire.

Allow them to bombard without reply, but delete their ability to move and attack in the same turn.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:11 pm

Allow them to bombard without reply, but delete their ability to move and attack in the same turn.
This last point would work in a game covering the civil war or napoleonics where a turn represents a day but in this game a turn is 4-6 months..
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:19 pm

Comments noted

newpaintbrush

Post by newpaintbrush » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:38 pm

Opening shot artillery? :shock:

Who needs infantry?!

--

Maybe artillery could be made a ranged piece that could attack with a range of 1 territory and an attack and defense of 1. Like, if you had a Russian artillery piece in Russia, it could help defend against an attack into West Russia, or if you were trying to attack West Russia, you could use that artillery piece (but then couldn't move it into West Russia on the following round, since it participated in combat, and thus wouldn't be able to make a noncombat move)

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:02 pm

territorys are too large for that. The battlefield consists of huge areas.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:46 pm

Wrong scale... comments noted

master_cyan

Post by master_cyan » Thu May 31, 2007 2:32 pm

INfantry cost 3 ipc, attack 1/2; ability: allow each artillery in a one for one match up to fire in the opening step.

Artillery: cost 4 or 5 icps, ataack 2/2 ability: able to be fire in opening step if match up with infantry on a one for one basis

Tanks: cost 6 ipcs, atack 3/3 ability: raise each infantry to an attack 2 on a one for one basis

so this allows artillery to fire in the opening step but is not superpowerfule. the reason fo rthis is because the infantry would have to corrdinate the artliery's attack. tanks had more of an effect with combined arms so therfor ei think it would be more apporiate for tanks to have this ability and not artillery.
"I would not fear a pack of lions led by a sheep, but I would always fear a flock of sheep led by a lion"-alexander the great

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Thu May 31, 2007 4:03 pm

I honestly think Griffiths idea of artillery working by attrition is the best. Artillery cost 12 IPC and barrage infantry stacks in adjacent territory by rolling one die to each infantry and every roll of 1 is a hit. Now this will prevent Infantry push mechanics.