The Italians

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
templeton

Post by templeton » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:30 pm

Micoom wrote: I have played many Revised games with Italy as a separate power, and it is in no way a Dull player. It can surely act on its own, if played correctly.
But looking at the maps, they seem to have a vastly inflated economy to make them interesting to play.

I can imagine they would be fun as a 2nd minor player for Germany to control, but at the scale of the game, it seems a minor role compared to the Epic scale that the Allies, Germany, Japan and the USSR are engaging at.

I mean, what did Italy do in the war outside of North Africa anyway?

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:07 pm

They invaded Greece and etheopia

They attacked france fron the south

They were a important contribution to the eastern front and fought quite well

They defended Italy in 43
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:31 pm

Comments noted

Sabre Von Manteuffel

Post by Sabre Von Manteuffel » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:57 am

Playing A&A on the scale in which it is played, and this will have to be the last time I give my input on this (since its in about 1000 different threads here):

All Italy really did in WW2 was get themselves in trouble as Mussolini was always trying to get some of Hitler's glory and spoils. Italy in trouble basically meant German troops moved from other areas on the front that they were needed in, or would be needed in. To give Italy credit for Greece and Ethiopia and Southern France is like saying Iraq was a major world power in 20th century because Hussein invaded Iran and Kuwait.

Please.

...and don't even get me started on the French. I read the thread on the defense of France, even from Larry (who is biased, because he lived there in the 70s), and I decided not to even bother. I don't want to play Italy or France.

I want to play the MAJOR powers of WW2 when I play A&A. Now, the Pact of Steel variant that is out is actually really cool and fun to play--but, Italy is inflated (as mentioned earlier) and the set up for PoS is not historic.

So, there's my last 2 IPCs worth for Italy and France.
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank an American Veteran!

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:47 pm

To give Italy credit for Greece and Ethiopia and Southern France
Nobody did that!

In historical terms Italy was plagued by a noob player.

In Oct 1940 they had 300,000 men off the egyptan border against 30,000 brits and decided: to replay WW1 and make trenches!

Allowing the british to reinforce the area and drive them out.

This is poor military leadership

Rommel led the italians in africa and they improved immediatly
Manstein Led them in Russia and immediatly they fought well

Its all leadership and IL duce was incompetent.

But in the war Hitler was also incompetent and he lost as well.

The italians were ordered to do stupid things at the wrong time.

They were an actual major power in WW2 and to deny that is silly. Of course they didnt do well, but neither did the french and they were a major power in the world untill 1940.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Historybuff13

Post by Historybuff13 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:06 pm

If you guys want a player that had more impact in the war globally, put France in the game with its colonies. All this talk of Italy being not important in WWII, is pointless. They invaded Ethiopia in 1936, before Hitler invaded Poland. They helped in France, the Balkans, North Africa, even on the Russian Front. If had it my way (I probably won't) both France and Italy would be in the game with a start date in 1940!
What is this man doing here?! - SS Gestapo Major Wolfgang Hochstetter

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:56 pm

Historybuff13 wrote: If had it my way (I probably won't) both France and Italy would be in the game with a start date in 1940!
I am beginning to love you, mr mystery man. This is music in my ears.

I also want Sweden, Spain and Turkey to become active neutrals, so I can invade them. Turkey need to control the strait between Med and Black Sea, and if you want to move a navy here you better control Turkey

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:56 pm

Comments noted :roll: