Price:

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:58 pm

I don't want painted pieces.

Decals would be nice, though.

Frimmel

Post by Frimmel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:50 pm

I'm not interested in just a set of painted pieces. Probably. :?:

I would make that decision only after seeing the pieces and seeing what they cost. I couldn't make that call in any way without seeing the merchandise and knowing how many pieces you were getting.

There would also need to be a big big map, vinyl, cloth back, no valleys or folds, rolls up. :D :lol:

dinosaur

Post by dinosaur » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:11 pm

Well, I am trying to illustrate that the sum of all the things folks want are either too expensive, or they think they will get them at a rediculas price. How much would you pay for a set of painted AAR pieces?
How much would you spend on a 30%-50% larger roll up board?
How much would you pay for trays?
Then add them up and think if this sounds reasonable.
If you want more piece types, add that in too.
It is just an illsutration.

You wouldn't pay me enough to paint another set of pieces. I doubt I could make $2/hr for what most folks are willing to pay for them.

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:22 pm

I wouldn t pay a cent more as the game is good enough without pre painted units. They have their plastic colours for a reason, be happy to have serveral molds showing different unit types... some years ago it was all about card board units and wood blocks.

Anyway you can always paint them home if desired. 8)

Frimmel

Post by Frimmel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:26 pm

I don't really know what this stuff costs to make. Having a painted set of pieces wouldn't be as important to me as having enough pieces. Pretty pieces aren't as pretty if there isn't enough room for them.

I don't think I'd like painted pieces all that much as it might muddy up the board as far as keeping track of who's who.

Anything they print that isn't just a straight up reprint of a game I have I will buy sight unseen and on just the enjoyment I've gotten out of my other games up to $75.

After that I want tricked out, bells and whistles and I'm probably good up to $150 but not for just a set of painted units. I would need to see them before I spent anything on just painted units.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:25 am

Cost is a funny thing.

All prizes are from new copies at Boardgamegeek

The A&A series range from $ 32 to $ 35, and this is fairly good, taken the high quality plastic pieces and great playability.

So lets compare A&A with other games in the same class.

-Risk cost from $ 20 to $ 30, using generig pieces and bad game mechanic.
-Attack ! from EG cost $ 20, but you need the expansion too, so it totals $ 40, with bad soft plastic and lousy rules.
-The swedish clone World in war: Combined arms cost $ 40, with bad soft plastic and stinking rules.
-Memoir cost $ 40
-Fortress America cost $40
-War!Age of Emperialsim cost $ 60, with bad plastic and bad rules
-Battle cry cost $ 70 with bad plastic and bad rules

The wooden block games and hex and counter games cost from $ 75 and up

Risk 40th anniversary collectors ed cost $ 220, with metal generic pieces and still the same stinking game mechanic as in the $ 20 edition.

I dont want paintet plastic, I just want each player to get nation specific pieces in high quality, and spesific pieces to tech like jet, rockets etc. I want a map with blue water and terrain art in the territories. I want a chart without icons, so you can actually spot your token. And I want the best rules from A&A Europe and Pacific, like convoy zones and subs that survive the fighter menacy in Revised.

I pay $ 150 for this, and it better not be short of pieces.

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:04 am

Comments noted

Hefsgaard

Post by Hefsgaard » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:31 pm

adlertag wrote: -Battle cry cost $ 70 with bad plastic and bad rules
Battlecry does not have bad rules! It works well enough for casual gaming.

but that is off topic.

But what is the projected market share? As I see it it will either replace standart A&A or be limited to a few of the hardcore fans, and should be priced accordingly. But which way?
Things to remember when the dice fly.
Less is more! And KISS.